panther wanting to escape

Just giving you a hard time. Internet sarcasm goes on deaf ears sometimes...
So your only concern is he wants to come out of his cage? Looks like everything you're doing is good so far. The night drop of 50 is a little low for a Panther in my opinion. Maybe you just have a friendly guy who just wants to come out? Maybe there's an issue with the Viv? We definitely need pictures if you can post them.
ok buddy will post acouple later on when i get back from work

heres the picture of the cage the plastic box is where its prey comes out after i leave it in

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    275.1 KB · Views: 160
What's that in the top left corner? And the Viv looks good. Maybe a few more plants on the right side for hiding places but I don't see anything that would make him not want to stay in his Viv. My guy is the complete opposite. Can't get him out of his Viv! Yesterday I tried getting him out to clean it. Haha yeah he's an a hole!

What's that in the top left corner? And the Viv looks good. Maybe a few more plants on the right side for hiding places but I don't see anything that would make him not want to stay in his Viv. My guy is the complete opposite. Can't get him out of his Viv! Yesterday I tried getting him out to clean it. Haha yeah he's an a hole!
That's a heat lamp. Not good inside there.

hopefully

hopefully this will get through
GEORGE IS A HE 5 MONTH OLD BLUE BAR BEEN WITH ME 4 WEEKS

I ONLY HANDLE HIM ONCE A WEEK
If you open the viv door, will he come to you or just try and do a runner?

I FEED HIM CRICKETS AND LOCUSTS FIRST THING IN THE MORNING GUT LOADING CARROTS KAIL OR APPLES
Your gut loading needs to be improved. @Brodybreaux25 has some good graphics and I'm sure he won't mind posting them

I USE EXO TERRARUM SUPPLEMENTS CALCIUM CALCIUM D3 AND MULTIVITS CALCIUM EVERY DAY
THE OTHER 2 TWICE A MONTH
I have never used Exo Terra supplements myself so can't say if they are good or not. I do use and would reccomend Arcadia Earthpro A and B plus Reptivite with D3. Your feeding will soon move to every other day as he gets older.

I SPRAY 3 TIMES A DAY AND RUN A BIG DRIPPER MOST OF THE DAY
I do hope you sealed all the joints or your Viv Exotic is soon going to fall apart. Also, and more importantly, there isn't enough ventilation for a cham as it will hold a heck of a lot of humidity. You could add a couple of computer fans to suck air through. It also raises a question about how you get rid of excess water from the dripper and misting.

HIS POOS ARE REGULAR AND WHITE ENDS
Sounds good

NO HISTORY AND NO TESTS
Ideally, get a float done peace of mind.

CAGE IS TIMBER SIDES WITH VENTS AND A GLASS DOOR 24 X 36 X 54
Size wise this is great but it's really not ideal for a cham. The main reason being air flow. I know exactly the vents you refer to but ideally the enclosure should be either all screen or at least have screen top. As mentioned, you could add a computer fan to help pull fresh air through. If it hasn't been properly sealed it will start to rot very quickly and make your little ill. After misting and using a dripper, it will be very wet and needs to dry out before your next misting session. Without good air flow, this won't happen. How do you deal with excess water?

LIGHTING IS EXO TERRARIA HEAT LAMP AND STRIP UV LIGHT 12 ON AND 12 OFF HEAT LAMP GOES DOWN ON LIGHT SENS0R
This is really problematic I'm afraid. All lighting should be on top of the screen top, which you don't have. At the very least you need to fit a piece of screen between heat/light and your cham. He will get cooked alive if (when) he comes into contact with heat bulb. The heater you have should only really be used at night and only then if your ambient temps are regularly low 60's. A heat bulb that produces light is best and your cham will know that heat and light go together (like sitting in the sun). The UVB as well will be a burn hazzard unless separated from the cham with some screen. If there is a way for them to get close and climb, they will! Lights must be on a timer. Night eye on your stat is limited in it's use and as you said, 12 on, 12 off.

HEATING MID CAGE 75 BASKING 85-90 OVERNIGHT DOWN TO 50 HAVE 2 THERMOMETERS
Your too hot for a panther and this is made worse by the lack of air flow in the viv. 82 to 85 at basking spot. 50 seems low overnight so your current heat lamp could be used overnight (with a thermostat).

HUMIDITY BETWEEN 70 -80 HAVE A HYGROMETER
Again, that viv will hold too much humidity and it will worsen if water gets in the joints and it starts to rot.

I HAVE 2 POTHOS PLANTS AND A FEW FAKE LOADS OF CLIMBERS
Firstly, lets make it safe and separate all lights from the cham ASAP. Add a screen and leave no gaps for the little guy to get above it or anywhere near anything (inc the screen itself) that he could get burnt on. They don't feel the heat like we do so don't move away until the damage has been done. When it's safe, your decor just needs a bit of work. Try to work in 3D rather than just having fake plants hanging on the back wall. This will give him more options for hiding as well as movement around the entire space.

THE CAGE IS IN THE LIVING ROOM IN CORNER 6 FOOT OFF OF THE FLOOR
That's really good for height.

I LIVE IN NOTTINGHAM ENGLAND
Not a million miles from me although the peak hills are between.

HE IS ACTIVE AND COLOURFULL AT THE MOMENT RUBBING HIMSELF AND COMING TO THE DOOR PAWING AT IT ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT
Rubbing himself? Please describe more fully. I get the pawing bit.

So, whilst we can't say for sure that he wants out to get away from the enclosure, there are some things that may be uncomfortable for him and we definitely need to make sure its SAFE first and foremost. If you open the viv up, what does he want to do, come to you, just escape or something else?

Please open the quoted message for responses to the different items.

Have you tried him on a free range? As soon as he sees me me, Bob wants out and either sits with me or goes to his free range. It's nothing special, just fake fines between a large plant and a climbing frame made from collected oak branches. Believe it or not, he tells me when he wants to go for a warm up back in his viv by going to one spot and pawing the air.

You may have a similar nutter to Bob, depending on his reaction to you when you open the viv, or, he's trying to get away from something.

I know there's a lot here but priority number one, make it safe ASAP. Then sort heat lamps and temps.

Happy to answer any other Qs you may have and hopefully @Brodybreaux25 will furnish you with the pretty picture versions of advice.

its aheat lamp in top corner going to get a protective cage tonight and a couple more plants thanks for looking and taking time to give advice

its aheat lamp in top corner going to get a protective cage tonight and a couple more plants thanks for looking and taking time to give advice
The cage will probably not be good enough. It won't keep him far enough away or he might even squeeze into it in some cases. Please see my full reply.

Please open the quoted message for responses to the different items.

Have you tried him on a free range? As soon as he sees me me, Bob wants out and either sits with me or goes to his free range. It's nothing special, just fake fines between a large plant and a climbing frame made from collected oak branches. Believe it or not, he tells me when he wants to go for a warm up back in his viv by going to one spot and pawing the air.

You may have a similar nutter to Bob, depending on his reaction to you when you open the viv, or, he's trying to get away from something.

I know there's a lot here but priority number one, make it safe ASAP. Then sort heat lamps and temps.

Happy to answer any other Qs you may have and hopefully @Brodybreaux25 will furnish you with the pretty picture versions of advice.
thank you for taking time to look at my post have read all your coments and i will act on them right away i have just bought some grape vine for an outside run going to try it later i have a large not deep dish under the dripper to catch water when i open the viv he doesnt run away just stares at me with airflow i will drill extra holes in top and sides hopefully this will help.the light strip is on a timer i will sort a heat and light bulb and drill a hole in the top and place it there.will adjust its basking spot temp
with the gut loading i feed the cics and locusts all the time with the veg should i feed them something else then gut load? i think with the rubbing he is going to shed again someone has mentioned he is maybe wanting to look for a female many thanks for your time and advice

My little guy makes it very clear to me when he wants to come out to free range. He will come to the corner of his cage and start hanging on the door until I open it. Then he'll climb on me and practically point "TAKE ME TO TREE WOMAN!" Other times, he is totally content in his enclosure with no desire to come out. If I put him BACK into this cage before he is ready, you'd think he needed an exorcism. He'll do barrel rolls and hang upside down to get me to let him back out. :p I think you guy just likes outside time.

My little girl is the total opposite. She is shy and timid, and she much prefers the safety of her enclosure. If I move her plants around to clean it bothers her, and when she free ranges she actually seems uncomfortable until we put her back into her home.

I would encourage him coming out on the daily if he wants too, your lucky he wants to escape his cage. Not all Chams are like that. If you DO take him out daily, I recommend buying a tall plant, safe for chameleons to eat. Like a ficus. If they don’t have a ficus just research a list of safe plants for Chams.

I would encourage him coming out on the daily if he wants too, your lucky he wants to escape his cage. Not all Chams are like that. If you DO take him out daily, I recommend buying a tall plant, safe for chameleons to eat. Like a ficus. If they don’t have a ficus just research a list of safe plants for Chams.
The only problem with my guy coming out daily is that he is very adventurous. He is content on the tree for a while, but then he is climbing down and looking for trouble to get into. I stay close and babysit when he is out... which can easily turn into an entire weekend of googling over and photographing my chameleon. :love:

The only problem with my guy coming out daily is that he is very adventurous. He is content on the tree for a while, but then he is climbing down and looking for trouble to get into. I stay close and babysit when he is out... which can easily turn into an entire weekend of googling over and photographing my chameleon. :love:
He’s just young and curious. The older chameleons get. The lazier. I’ve found, if you just let him do his thing, eventually he gets to a spot where he is content.

thank you for taking time to look at my post have read all your coments and i will act on them right away i have just bought some grape vine for an outside run going to try it later i have a large not deep dish under the dripper to catch water when i open the viv he doesnt run away just stares at me with airflow i will drill extra holes in top and sides hopefully this will help.the light strip is on a timer i will sort a heat and light bulb and drill a hole in the top and place it there.will adjust its basking spot temp
with the gut loading i feed the cics and locusts all the time with the veg should i feed them something else then gut load? i think with the rubbing he is going to shed again someone has mentioned he is maybe wanting to look for a female many thanks for your time and advice
Up to you of course but if it were me, I'd take a jigsaw and cut out a good part of the top and put a mesh there. The lights can go on top of it and the air flow improves.

Nothing wrong with how you are gut loading, just that what using isn't the best. Like a lot of things, variety is good also.

Have a look at some of the other recent posts and you'll find the pics I was referring to. Theres lighting, gut loading and supplements.

I'd be interested to know if he likes being out and free ranging.

He’s just young and curious. The older chameleons get. The lazier. I’ve found, if you just let him do his thing, eventually he gets to a spot where he is content.

That will be a nice change of pace as I feel like I'm chasing a toddler sometimes! I keep close tabs as I have a curious kitty, who is also keeping close tabs on him. Usually he is just getting closer to the window, but when he be-lines it to the floor I scoop him up. I though about putting a dog cone on the bottom of the tree so he can't climb down the tree. :D

Here you go Andrew.
A091DD30-BB2A-4BC3-9ED8-B9E5E791E70C.jpeg.jpg
6FDA7F15-D4AF-47B7-BEAA-D901B1E180FB.jpeg.jpg
6BD9A7E6-A321-47A8-8832-234166C07EC3.jpeg.jpg
1A963FF6-04DE-4318-9C6C-5023EC902078.jpeg.jpg
A091DD30-BB2A-4BC3-9ED8-B9E5E791E70C.jpeg.jpg
6FDA7F15-D4AF-47B7-BEAA-D901B1E180FB.jpeg.jpg
6BD9A7E6-A321-47A8-8832-234166C07EC3.jpeg.jpg
1A963FF6-04DE-4318-9C6C-5023EC902078.jpeg.jpg

That will be a nice change of pace as I feel like I'm chasing a toddler sometimes! I keep close tabs as I have a curious kitty, who is also keeping close tabs on him. Usually he is just getting closer to the window, but when he be-lines it to the floor I scoop him up. I though about putting a dog cone on the bottom of the tree so he can't climb down the tree. :D
Well if he belines to the floor it’s probably because he doesn’t feel safe all the way on the floor, and he wants to get to where he wants as soon as possible.

My little guy makes it very clear to me when he wants to come out to free range. He will come to the corner of his cage and start hanging on the door until I open it. Then he'll climb on me and practically point "TAKE ME TO TREE WOMAN!" Other times, he is totally content in his enclosure with no desire to come out. If I put him BACK into this cage before he is ready, you'd think he needed an exorcism. He'll do barrel rolls and hang upside down to get me to let him back out. :p I think you guy just likes outside time.

My little girl is the total opposite. She is shy and timid, and she much prefers the safety of her enclosure. If I move her plants around to clean it bothers her, and when she free ranges she actually seems uncomfortable until we put her back into her home.
thanks for replying am builing an outside run

thank you

lol

Back
Top Bottom