Panther substrate???

bing

Hi I currently have two ambanjas in two exo terra vivs glass with mesh lid, they are still quite young (4 months) i have a lucky repitle supermist on a timer to spray twice a day for a minute as i cant find a timer in the uk which switches shorter times.
The problem is there is no drainage and the bottom of the viv gets and stays wet.
Has anyone fitted any types of drainage in these vivs?
or what substrate could i use to help the problem?
Thanks

That type viv is not ideal for panthers. You need to look into getting a screen cage because as you mist the humid air sits and stagnates. This causes bacteria growth and for your cham URI.

-chris

Hi mate, i was told that a glass viv is better to keep humidity up for young panthers, i have a pair of older veildeds in seperate flexariums and the humidity is hard to keep up.
I have drainage set up for these so that is better i will look at getting a couple more flexariums
anyone else have any opinions?
Thanks

The problem really seems to be incorporating the convenience of a misting system with a glass bottomed enclosure.
I'm not sure it can work.
The simplest solution (in my opinion) would be to remove the misting system and mist by hand while using this vivarium.

-Brad

Also get separate cages for them, they shouldnt be housed together. Id get a screened cage.

Hi Brad
That is the problem i have been having i want to make sure enough water is available while im at work, I had a dripper into a small bowl and misted by hand but it seemed a little hit and miss with the little drippers the real problem is the auto rain not having a timer built in.
I was thinking of plugging a digital timer into another timer so i can switch the rain on with one and turn it off with the other 30 secs later giving less water and hopefully time to evapourate before the next spray anyone tried this?

If that will work it sounds like a decent solution.
I get confused when people start plugging too many things together ... and no, I've never tried it.
I rely on drippers and hand misting here.
How many hours are you gone at work each day?

-Brad

8 while 4 usually which has always been ok with my veildeds but as these panthers are quite young i thought that may be a little long for them, I think moving them to cage enclosures will be the best solution.
It just seems everyone has different ideas on the best practise for young panthers

Ha ha!
Everyone has different ideas about the best practice for everything!

I think you will be fine moving them into screen enclosures since you have the misting system.
It does seem like the best choice.
The glass is fine and does hold humidity longer ... but I would worry about standing water in the enclosure all day ... you can have too much humidity too.

-Brad

you can setup a dripper, and place a samll damp towel down at the bottom, no where for critter crawlers to burrow, and no risk of impaction, and just wring out the towel for your drainage ;)

hand mist them as brad had already suggested in the morning. the damp towel will maintain your humidity while you are at work without the need of the supermist.

just be sure to clean and rinse it every other day or so. Make sure there is no mold build up. hope this works for you.

Back
Top Bottom