Panther, Season Recreation?

cyberlocc

Chameleon Enthusiast
Curious if anyone has tried Season Recreation for a Panther?

Obviously not go full out Dry season, but maybe pretty close? I ask because while trying to make complex misting system for multiple species, that all inhabit similar areas anyway, I just said screw it, and made a new schedule that works for everyone, from a time standpoint and if a cage needs more water, I put more nozzles lol.

Anyway, the issue if you will. Panthers do not require seasonal changes for breeding, but the other species I am and intend to work with do. They need a colder, drier winter to reproduce, or at least to do so well.

So I have read, from misting once a week (Mantellas) to cutting misting in half (Leaf Tails), Temp drops, lighting drops ect.

So I would likely cut misting by half. Humidity would also be lower than normal.
My current attempt at a all inclusive schedule, has 4 mists, 7am : 2 mins, 1pm : 3 mins, 7pm : 2 mins, 1am : 1 min. This gives good day drinking, and humidity spurts to weather the hot days, and keeps night humidity 80% + in all cages, and gives the Nocturnal Geckos nighttime drinking water, and the Daytime Chams and Geckos "Morning Dew" and afternoon showers.

So we say winter looks like.
8am : 1 min, 6pm : 1 min. 1pm : 1 min Mon/Wed/Saturday

So my question is kind of 2 fold.
1. Has anyone tried this and seen benefit for panthers?
2. Has anyone tried this, or have reasons they think it would be harmful to Panthers?

All the species in my Herp Room that I plan to breed, intersect in the Wild, they are all Malagasy species found in the Eastern Humid Forests or Tropical North. So I thought instead of trying to micromanage cages on a massive scale, I should manage the room. Some cages will still need higher temps for "Basking" and that I will micro manage, and water as I said per nozzle. However I would like to dry season the room, drop the temps in the room, reduce the lighting of the day, for the room.

Last edited:
I cant see it doing anything other than give the panthers a more natural simulation of the seasons, unsure if will improve breeding though, almost a nature vs nurturing question?

I cant see it doing anything other than give the panthers a more natural simulation of the seasons, unsure if will improve breeding though, almost a nature vs nurturing question?

Ya I am not sure if it will help panther breeding. It may help breedinf efforts of Carpets and more so Lesser Chameleons I also plan to breed.

Mantellas outright require it and leaf tails are a 50/50 shot some get away with not cycling, but most say its not great unless you cycle.

On a large scale lizard room will be a reduction in running costs as a by-product less lighting and water if on a meter ?

Ya but shhh we don't talk about that lolololol.

No that is a factor for sure, more so heating. But my main concern is the health and breeding of the animals.

However yes, as its very cold where I live, heating the room to 65 instead of 75 is huge difference in cost. Especially night heating if I drop tk 50, vs 60.

The summers are not too bad. I still haven't decided how to cool the room, but I might just do a swamp all said and done. We cool the main house with a swamp, and the Garage add on type deal room I am using for the herps stays way cooler due to the layout (screened porch on the west side, and bunch of tall pines on the east, the room stays really cool.)

I was thinking about buying a fancy Minisplit for the room, to heat and cool. However I am not really sure I need that much. Of course, with all the lights heat dump, I likely will.

Back
Top Bottom