Panther Not Eating

animjason

Just basics to start, will do whole questionnaire if needed.

Hatched Oct 10-22. Have had since January. Male Ambilobe. Cage is 18x18x36. Humidity 60 mid cage, temp 90F top cage, digital reader. GREAT eater...

Then we reorganized the cage, and he has barely eaten since. Normally 5-8 crickets per day, now I'm happy to see him eat even one. This is day 4 of hunger strike.

I used Hornworm and Mealworm to break strike and they each worked great the first day. Now he isn't even wanting Hornworm.

No weight loss, but very concerned keeper. Thoughts? Should I stop offering a day or two?

I also found he has been munching the fake mulch in the back corner, see photo. About 2-3 inches. Still poops, still hydrated. Stress eating or missing nutrient?

He gets Calcium + D3 every Sunday, and Calcium every day (when he eats).

Also, I have tried cup feeding and free range. He took well to both until recent, neither seems to get him excited to eat.

Attachments

• 20170319_102137.jpg
    20170319_102137.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 112
My cham is a picky eater to say the least. I ordered some butter worms and he loves them, maybe give that a try? and how long ago did you rearrange the cage, that could definitely have something to do with it.

Generally panthers are given calcium with D3 every other week and a multi vitamin on the week between.
Does he hunger strike when he sheds?

My cham is a picky eater to say the least. I ordered some butter worms and he loves them, maybe give that a try? and how long ago did you rearrange the cage, that could definitely have something to do with it.

I'll see if my local shop has those. He loves waxworms and only a single hornworm here and there. Do they go in "I don't like crickets/dubias" phases?

Generally panthers are given calcium with D3 every other week and a multi vitamin on the week between.
Does he hunger strike when he sheds?

I think the D3 bottle also has multivits, I will confirm and adjust. Hasn't hunger striked during a shed yet but has eaten a little less.

I'll see if my local shop has those. He loves waxworms and only a single hornworm here and there. Do they go in "I don't like crickets/dubias" phases?
Your local shop will most likely not have them. I actually ordered mine off of Amazon (that is where I found the cheapest price) and 99% of them came alive so I was happy about it. They also live for 4 months in the fridge and so not need to be dusted with calcium. They are already high in calcium and low in fat. One of the most healthy worms for your Cham.

I'm surprised he won't take the hornworm. What are your night temps at? You need a good drop off in temps at night. Mid 60's would be nice. Drop in temps really help with there digestion system and keeps them hungry.

Dboddy31you said "drop-in temps really help with there digestion system and keeps him hungry"...how does cooling keep them hungry?

Bad wording. Cool temps at night is good for there metabolism. Keeps there metabolism going. Therefore helps with there eating

Bad wording. Cool temps at night is good for there metabolism. Keeps there metabolism going. Therefore helps with there eating

I checked last night, only goes down to 67 degrees F and 56% humidity. Still won't eat Hornworms, buying Waxworms today to try that. Thanks to all for advice.

67 is a good night temp. Chams just sometimes go thru hunger strikes. It's pretty common. I'm sure he will come around

Thanks, my first Chameleon in many many years. Just want to make sure he is healthy and happy. Reading through other threads, sounds like they are little balls of grump and food strikes, but all worth it.

Back
Top Bottom