Panther is not shedding

I rescued a young panther (born around the beginning of the year) with MBD. I got him around mid-March and I nursed him back to health. He was starting a shed when I took him in. He had a great deal of trouble with that shed which I assumed had to do with his help. It took a couple of weeks to complete the shed and I had to remove a lot of the shed for him.

It's now the end of May and he has yet to shed again. I'm used to the young ones shedding every 4 to 6 weeks. He's showing no signs of a possible shed and I'm beginning to worry. He eats well and has grown some (but not enough) since I rescued him. All cage parameters are good and he's well-hydrated.

Should I worry? If so, what can I do to help him begin a shed?

Thanks!

Shedding time is dependent on growth rate in young animals. Optimizing his nutritional state by gut loading his feeders and offering a variety of feeders should speed his growth along with a proper supplement schedule. He is probably stunted by his previous condition. Until he makes up the calcium loss from his bones he won't grow as much as he should.
There is no way to start a shed for him. When his body is ready it will shed.

Expect him to go longer between sheds now because he is over 6 mos.

Edit: Less seriously I find if I plan a photo session for my chameleon that will be the day he/she sheds.

Back
Top Bottom