Panther eye problem

sqwkr

I have a 10 month old panther and he fell off me when I took him outside for some sun. He has trouble gripping because he has ground down all his nails. But anywaysback to the reason I'm writing...he fell about 3 feet onto concrete that was wet and he fell on his side and the eye on the side he fell on is kind of sunken in...it is stil bulging out a lil but not as far as before and not like his hoer eye. I am totally scared he's my baby. I have him in the whole at up I got from LLL. So I know that's all good I'm just worried please help! I will post a pic of his eyes if I can get one.

I would recommend you take you cham to a good chameleon vet foe a check up and a fecal. Until you can get an appt please fill out this for so that we may better help you.

How to ask for help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information, you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

You can find a list of vets here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/area-area-country-vet-list-32880/

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? He is about 10 months old ambanja panther male, I've had him since september.

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I try to handle him everyday, I have since I got him.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets, summer-20, winter- 5-10 everyday, I have a dry cricket feed and I change from carrots, oranges, greens for moisture. And wax worms for treats he doesn't like superworms and I won't give him meal worms.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I can't remember the name of the stuff and I do it every other day. I got the dusting stuff from LLL its what the guy uses for his chams.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist him and I do it as many times as I need to make sure he drinks, I wait and watch him drink before I walk away.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Its well formed with the white and blackish brown. No never taken him to the vet.

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. He doesn't stress out when being handled he actually likes it. He usually runs for me when I open his cage up. He very rarely gets fired up about much, he is very low key and tolerant. He recently started what looks like yawning. I don't know what that is or even if they can yawn but only seen him do it twice.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen cage, 24x24x48

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Reptisun 5.0 tube and a normal house bulb 57 watts for heat. On at 7:30am off at 9pm

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)?
Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have digital thermometers in his cage and the range during the day is 80 at bottom and about 86-88 at basking and at night 74-76 where he usually sleeps near the top and about 70 near bottom.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes, ficus (ficis) don't remember how to spell haha.

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located? Cage has its own room its about 2 feet off the ground so the top is about 6 feet high and I am located in southern california. Cage is not in a high traffic area at all no vents or nothing.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. The problem is above. And I attached 2 pictures so you can see the difference in his eyes and they were normal and equal before he fell.

Attachments

• IMG-20110310-00025.jpg
    IMG-20110310-00025.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG-20110310-00024.jpg
    IMG-20110310-00024.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 149
I am home now and the supplements I use is repashy superfoods chameleon calcium plus mixed with sticky tongue farms miner-all calcium/mineral supplement for indoor insectivorous reptiles and amphibians. I mix them because Turk doesn't like the taste of the repashy stuff so I put a lil of both and he eats it fine. I'm sorry but I really don't understand what this has to do about him hurting his eye. That may sound stupid but I don't get it.

Please look at the pictures I posted I got the best I thought I could get! Please someone help!! I am worried about him I know he has ground down his claws to nubs like he has normal feet and normal toes just messed up his claws I think. And I must say it really sux. I do not feel comfortable letting him out and worry about him falling and his strength hasn't decreased i dont think and I have bad feeling that this time he may truly have hurt himself. I touched him on his side (left) and he jumped as if he got scared but he was looking at me with his bad eye so now I think he may have trouble seeing out of his eye. Thank you for everything. I am editing it because I was very tired last night and I did not make sense.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? He is about 10 months old ambanja panther male, I've had him since september.

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I try to handle him everyday, I have since I got him.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets, summer-20, winter- 5-10 everyday, I have a dry cricket feed and I change from carrots, oranges, greens for moisture. And wax worms for treats he doesn't like superworms and I won't give him meal worms.many on here have you scared of the meal worms huh? mealworm exo skeleton causing compaction is a myth. dont worry about the chitin, it actually has some good in it. he needs variety. try putting them on the screen. ive never seen a chameleon trun worms down EVER.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I can't remember the name of the stuff and I do it every other day. I got the dusting stuff from LLL its what the guy uses for his chams. lightly dust - plain phos free calcium every feeding/ calcium with d3 twice a month/ multivitamin twice a month

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist him and I do it as many times as I need to make sure he drinks, I wait and watch him drink before I walk away.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Its well formed with the white and blackish brown. No never taken him to the vet.

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. He doesn't stress out when being handled he actually likes it. He usually runs for me when I open his cage up. He very rarely gets fired up about much, he is very low key and tolerant. He recently started what looks like yawning. I don't know what that is or even if they can yawn but only seen him do it twice.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen cage, 24x24x48

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Reptisun 5.0 tube and a normal house bulb 57 watts for heat. On at 7:30am off at 9pm

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)?
Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have digital thermometers in his cage and the range during the day is 80 at bottom and about 86-88 at basking and at night 74-76 where he usually sleeps near the top and about 70 near bottom.for us to help you.....you need to get a thermometer and accurately guage. please explain how your basking temps to your floor temps only vary 6-8 degrees in a 4 foot cage..

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes, ficus (ficis) don't remember how to spell haha.

Location - Where are you geographically located? Cage has its own room its about 2 feet off the ground so the top is about 6 feet high and I am located in southern california. Cage is not in a high traffic area at all no vents or nothing.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. The problem is above. And I attached 2 pictures so you can see the difference in his eyes and they were normal and equal before he fell.

first he is using the turret from your pics. he may have got something in it. if thats the case he needs extra mistings and or a shower chamber. give it time they generally will work it out.

second eye problems can be from the lack of proper supplementing. if this is a supplement issue you will need to follow the regiment i have provided.

lastly im not sure about the bulb you are using that provides basking. the eyes are sensitive. rule out anything possible.

we need exact information to give you the best help.

I just switched cages, so I gave the previous temp ranges. And i keep the room warm with a portable heater facing away from him. The eye issue happens when he fell before that he has had zero problems. And the mealworm thing is just because of the lack of nutrients in them for him. What brand supplements should I use because the stuff I have is the only stuff I've seen.

Back
Top Bottom