Panther egg hasn't hatched!?

Awkcoustic

I originally purchased 2 chameleon panther eggs off Ebay, Now the guy i bought them off of was suppose to send them together, and forget and ended up sending 2, the second time around. So long story short, we ended up with 3 panther chameleon eggs.

Now, ill attach pictures below of how the eggs where incubated. (The shipper sent them this way, and ensured this is a good set up for eggs ) When the eggs arrived they had "estimated" dates of when they where expected to hatch. 10-22-15

Egg #1 - Hatched Sept 29th, with a little help as we allowed him 24 hours to get out on his own and we noticed a struggle. Picked up on eating habits right away. (fruit flies, baby Dubia roaches)

Egg#2 - Followed 2-3 days later, this one didn't need help getting out but we noticed his head was a little smaller then the other one who hatched previously. I'm not entirely sure what went wrong, but 3 days later i found the little fella just laying there, body stale.. obviously dead. I don't think he picked up on eating habits. He was placed in the same habitat as the other one but i was told that when they're younger its fine for them to be together, as i was in the process of better arrangements.

Side note; I am aware of the proper humidity levels, and this isn't my first rodeo with having a chameleon, i also own a year old male veiled chameleon
however ive never had hatchlings.

Egg #3 - Hasn't hatched yet, and came with the second shipping of the 2 eggs. Estimated hatching date on container says 10-22-15, so this is where my real question lies, does any have any idea as to why the egg hasn't hatched? i see no mold or caving in and the others hatched late Sept early Oct.

Thanks
Tiffany

https://www.chameleonforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=112332&stc=1&d=1445730343

https://www.chameleonforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=112331&stc=1&d=1445730330

https://www.chameleonforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=112330&stc=1&d=1445730286

1st picture, both lids not present.
2nd picture, sauce container lid on.
3rd picture, final lid on.

Attachments

• 20151024_162849.jpg
    20151024_162849.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 422
  • 20151024_162844.jpg
    20151024_162844.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 412
  • 20151024_162836.jpg
    20151024_162836.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 381
Panther eggs hatch all at the same time in the wild (think turtles on the beach). In captivity it can take several days. However if the eggs are from several clutches, it can be +-2 months from clutch 1 to clutch 2.

Agreed with the above, except they can hatch at much more varying rates than a few days, even from the same clutch.

I have had clutches take 3 weeks for all of them to hatch and have read of months in between hatchings.

The dates he gave are just estimations. Good luck with the babies! And yes it is just fine to keep them together, except I personally wouldn't unless they are all from the same clutch, as to not get them mixed up.

Eggs normally are deposited all together and remain together until hatch time. There have been some studies done on calyptratus eggs being separated to see if it affects hatching times, to my knowledge there were no definitive answers: some hatched close to the same time, other clutches did not. In the wild it would be beneficial for a clutch of eggs to hatch all close to the same time so the neonates could help each other dig out of the earth they're buried under. This would suggest there could be a cue when a couple of eggs start hatching, the rest of the eggs should start hatching. When the eggs are separated there would be no signal as to when to start hatching; every egg is on it's own.
Don't give up on your egg until it molds or collapses with no pipping. I've had most of a clutch hatch at the normal time and then 1 or 2 hatch weeks later.

Patience little grasshopper, patience! As long as it is not rotting (changing color or growing mold) or shriveling up it is still fine and the odds great that it will still hatch!

Lil fella still hasnt hatched. If it was a dud wasnt it supose to mold by now?
I wouldn't worry too much I had a clutch of panther eggs that took 12 months to hatch and when the did all but one egg hatched within a couple of weeks. I just kept the egg in the incubator and checked it every day and then it decided to hatch one day 8 weeks later than the rest so it just goes to show unless an egg goes mouldy never throw it away. I would just keep checking it and make sure the incubating medium is kept moist.

Back
Top Bottom