Panther Chamleon wont eat and is sleeping during the daytime

LCoyote

IMG_1543 (1).jpg

Description of Problem:
Hey, my name is Lucas and I have a around 1 year old panther chameleon, (probably female though I have not seen eggs). My Chameleons name is Smaug.
Around a week ago Smaug started acting weird, she stopped eating out of the cup, (which she has done before so I didn't think anything of it). Then 3-4 days ago she stopped eating all together. I thought she got bored of crickets, but that was not the issue. I realized she had started sleeping during the day and decided to look it up. It seems it could be many things from viruses to fungal infection but I needed some more input. If necessary I will definitely take her to the vet. I got her out of the cage today and feed her some reptile boost and some water. I will continue this everyday until she starts eating.

When I took her out of the cage I realized her eyes had sunk in. It is probably because she has not eaten in 3 days. She is looking a bit better but I still don't know what it is

Help Forum
Panther Cham, prob female, around 1 year old
I’ve had it since November of 2017

I Handle her when she grabs onto my hand
(I give her my hand and let her grab on if she wants)
I feed my Cham large crickets from pet smart (5-7 a day) I also feed her some small beetles (mealworm beetles) I use fluckers High-Calcium Cricket Diet
My supplements are Rep-Cal Calcium and Rep-Cal Multivitamins and calcium with d2 I feed most of my crickets with normal calcium, and I feed her multivitamins once a month. calcium with d2 every month.
I use a monsoon mister and also spray the cage by hand, The mister is on a 1 hour basis and I’ll also hand mist once a day
I used to see my cham drink everyday but right now she just sleeps.
Fecal matter: The urine is yellowish white and the fecal matter is brown/dark brown (not seeing much rn)
I got her from DFW Reptarium, (which I wouldn’t do again they are not very good with Chams)
I have a screen cage 4 by 2 by 2 Feet
I have a Zoo Med UVB/LED light also I have a basking light 50 watts
Bottom of the cage 74 degrees Fahrenheit
The basking spot 94-100 degrees Fahrenheit
I use a exp terra probe one
The people at dew reptarium said I did not need a humidity sensor
I use the monsoon and the spraw bottle for humidity
The cage is located in the corner of the living room by my fishtank there is no AC systems nearby
I’m in the southern United States (Texas)
It has been around 86-90 degrees Fahrenheit (is also summer in Texas rn)
I have a Hoya plant and a Bromila plant
I’m concerned about my chameleon not eating and sleeping during the day
I'm very worried, willing to go to the vet, change her food, or anything else
Thank You very much for your help and time

I'm afraid she may be egg bound in desperate need to lay her eggs. By one year of age she is over due to lay. Has she had a laying bin?

Yes laying bins are usually a minimum of 8 inches deep. Has she been hanging out around the bottom or done any digging?
oh ok, sorry I did not realize that, a few weeks ago I did catch her on the ground. I have not seen any digging, but I will make a place where she can do it

I would get her to the vet. She is probably past the point where she can lay on her own. Keep going with the repti boost and water until you can get her help.

Her eyes are sunken in because she is dehydrated, her basking spot is too hot, lower to about 90. D3 twice a month not once. What are you gutloading with. If she is sleeping during the day that means a significant issues has already settled in, too late to try to fix it on your own. She needs a vet.

And as her owner you should know her sex, it is irresponsible of you not to. Females a very different from males with the husbandry they require. Do you have a lay bin for her?

I would get her to the vet. She is probably past the point where she can lay on her own. Keep going with the repti boost and water until you can get her help.
ok I am in school tomorrow but will get her to the vet after school. I live in the Dallas Fort Worth area, do u know of any good vets in that area? The only one that I know does reptiles is East Lake Veterinary Hospital

Her eyes are sunken in because she is dehydrated, her basking spot is too hot, lower to about 90. D3 twice a month not once. What are you gutloading with. If she is sleeping during the day that means a significant issues has already settled in, too late to try to fix it on your own. She needs a vet.

And as her owner you should know her sex, it is irresponsible of you not to. Females a very different from males with the husbandry they require. Do you have a lay bin for her?
I use fluckers High-Calcium Cricket Diet, the basking spot is 90 degrees I used an old forum one and forgot to change it (sorry). I have already made a forum trying to determine her sex and they said he was male. But she has not colored up and looks very female to me. I thought my egg laying place was deep enough, but I am making it deeper now. Will do d3 twice a month thanks -Lucas

View attachment 212950
Description of Problem:
Hey, my name is Lucas and I have a around 1 year old panther chameleon, (probably female though I have not seen eggs). My Chameleons name is Smaug.
Around a week ago Smaug started acting weird, she stopped eating out of the cup, (which she has done before so I didn't think anything of it). Then 3-4 days ago she stopped eating all together. I thought she got bored of crickets, but that was not the issue. I realized she had started sleeping during the day and decided to look it up. It seems it could be many things from viruses to fungal infection but I needed some more input. If necessary I will definitely take her to the vet. I got her out of the cage today and feed her some reptile boost and some water. I will continue this everyday until she starts eating.

When I took her out of the cage I realized her eyes had sunk in. It is probably because she has not eaten in 3 days. She is looking a bit better but I still don't know what it is

Help Forum
Panther Cham, prob female, around 1 year old
I’ve had it since November of 2017

I Handle her when she grabs onto my hand
(I give her my hand and let her grab on if she wants)
I feed my Cham large crickets from pet smart (5-7 a day) I also feed her some small beetles (mealworm beetles) I use fluckers High-Calcium Cricket Diet
My supplements are Rep-Cal Calcium and Rep-Cal Multivitamins and calcium with d2 I feed most of my crickets with normal calcium, and I feed her multivitamins once a month. calcium with d2 every month.
I use a monsoon mister and also spray the cage by hand, The mister is on a 1 hour basis and I’ll also hand mist once a day
I used to see my cham drink everyday but right now she just sleeps.
Fecal matter: The urine is yellowish white and the fecal matter is brown/dark brown (not seeing much rn)
I got her from DFW Reptarium, (which I wouldn’t do again they are not very good with Chams)
I have a screen cage 4 by 2 by 2 Feet
I have a Zoo Med UVB/LED light also I have a basking light 50 watts
Bottom of the cage 74 degrees Fahrenheit
The basking spot 86-90 degrees Fahrenheit
I use a exp terra probe one
The people at dew reptarium said I did not need a humidity sensor
I use the monsoon and the spraw bottle for humidity
The cage is located in the corner of the living room by my fishtank there is no AC systems nearby
I’m in the southern United States (Texas)
It has been around 86-90 degrees Fahrenheit (is also summer in Texas rn)
I have a Hoya plant and a Bromila plant
I’m concerned about my chameleon not eating and sleeping during the day
I'm very worried, willing to go to the vet, change her food, or anything else
Thank You very much for your help and time

Good luck and I hope she will be ok. Poor girl.
thank you so much! she is my first Chameleon and has opened up my eyes to this wonderful animal. She is the sweetest chameleon used to beg to come out of her cage. I hope she'll get past this and feel better.

My first cham too. I knew I would like them but have fallen in love Haha. They are just so interesting and beautiful. Keep us posted on her status.

thank you so much! she is my first Chameleon and has opened up my eyes to this wonderful animal. She is the sweetest chameleon used to beg to come out of her cage. I hope she'll get past this and feel better.
I cant wait to get a chameleon that wants to be out! I'll be patient and know this is not the norm. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom