Panther Chameleons (seasons)

Soo I've learned recently about how chameleons specifically Parsons can sense different seasons . Can Panthers sense the same ? And when it's winter will they slow down some and maybe not eat as much? Just curious. My boy Ares is around 9 months old and I feel that is appetite has somewhat curved some or he is just being pickier lol . Also noticed him chilling in the back on his branch more and not doing his laps around the cage as much lol .

That picture is from today. I moved his heat light back there because he hasn't really moved much the last couple days unless to sleep . Did get him to eat 1 super worm yesterday but not right away

Attachments

• 20211113_112956.jpg
    20211113_112956.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 79
What is your feeding schedule? Your boy is at the point where most will curb their food intake on their own. Also they can become picky eaters around this point.

Remember they self regulate. So if he was chilling in the back corner he may have preferred the temp gradient there. So moving the heat lamp may not be the best idea.

Winter time ambient temps tend to change. Your in FL so your probably not needing to run air conditioner as much. This would impact ambient temp and humidity levels. Then you want to think about how sunrise and sunset differ as well in winter. Some of us change our lighting schedule when the chams are in rooms exposed to a lot of windows.

They do pick up on the differences but I think it is more in relation to how their environment changes since we do keep it very controlled.

Last edited:
What is your feeding schedule? Your boy is at the point where most will curb their food intake on their own. Also they can become picky eaters around this point.

Remember they self regulate. So if he was chilling in the back corner he may have preferred the temp gradient there. So moving the heat lamp may not be the best idea.

Winter time ambient temps tend to change. Your in FL so your probably not needing to run air conditioner as much. This would impact ambient temp and humidity levels. Then you want to think about how sunrise and sunset differ as well in winter. Some of us change our lighting schedule when the chams are in rooms exposed to a lot of windows.

They do pick up on the differences but I think it is more in relation to how their environment changes since we do keep it very controlled.
I feed every day around 10:30 - 11 . Sometimes I'll offer food again around 12:30-1 depending what was eaten that morning . He hasn't seemed super interested in food as of late but I did just watch him eat a few crickets . Silks and supers he normally loves but even silks haven't seemed to catch his attention last couple weeks .

& yes you're 100% right about the self regulate. In the future I won't move the light but the only reason I did is because it seems he's been in that same spot for 3 days lol . Funny as soon as I made this post earlier he decided to get super active and flash some bright colors haha

Attachments

• 20211113_142438.jpg
    20211113_142438.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 20211113_143501.jpg
    20211113_143501.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 82
Soo I've learned recently about how chameleons specifically Parsons can sense different seasons . Can Panthers sense the same ? And when it's winter will they slow down some and maybe not eat as much? Just curious. My boy Ares is around 9 months old and I feel that is appetite has somewhat curved some or he is just being pickier lol . Also noticed him chilling in the back on his branch more and not doing his laps around the cage as much lol .
If they can at all, I would think it would be to a far lesser extent, and they'd be coming into summer—not winter.
Madagascar is in the tropics at approx. the same latitude as Puerto Rico—only in the Southern Hemisphere.

I've noticed nothing different in behavior or appetite in my 14 mo. old panther.

I feed every day around 10:30 - 11 . Sometimes I'll offer food again around 12:30-1 depending what was eaten that morning . He hasn't seemed super interested in food as of late but I did just watch him eat a few crickets . Silks and supers he normally loves but even silks haven't seemed to catch his attention last couple weeks .

& yes you're 100% right about the self regulate. In the future I won't move the light but the only reason I did is because it seems he's been in that same spot for 3 days lol . Funny as soon as I made this post earlier he decided to get super active and flash some bright colors haha
I would not do a second feeding. He is too old for that. Looks like he is curbing back on eating. which is normal. You can try to kick him over to an every other day feeding schedule. They typically become more responsive to eating once you start the reduction. By the time he is 12 months old you want him on an every other day feeding schedule of no more than 5 feeders each feeding.

I would not do a second feeding. He is too old for that. Looks like he is curbing back on eating. which is normal. You can try to kick him over to an every other day feeding schedule. They typically become more responsive to eating once you start the reduction. By the time he is 12 months old you want him on an every other day feeding schedule of no more than 5 feeders each feeding.
Okay thanks for the feedback! I'll just do is one feeding a day and keep it at that . Here and there I've been doing and every other day feeding just bc he hasn't seemed super interested . Funny tho the 2nd half of yesterday and all of today so far he is ON THE MOVE 🏃‍♂️💨

This is helpful to read for me as well because my male panther is 8 months and he used to eat slooo much and lately he’s been eating like 5-7 bugs a day. I was getting worried but his behavior has not changed one bit. Glad to hear it’s normal though!
Yeah kinda was sketching me out at first too . Ares used to DEVOUR food 😂. Super worms are his weakness as of lately tho . Almost can't turn them down lol

Back
Top Bottom