Panther Chameleons eyes.

BLAKE GREEB

Hi everyone...My Panther chameleon Mogley has an infection inside his eyes,(more like a bacteria) and all he ever does is sit inside his cage and sleep.Ive taken him to the vet, and the vet said to do some ure thing. so we did that and then the results came back from the reptile lab, and they said we have to give him liquid medication in this mouth. the meds will be at our home in 2 days or so. what exactly is this bacteria??? the doctor never mentioned that. Mogley also doesn't eat by himself. I had to hand feed him almost 3 or 4 months now hes like 17 months old and weighs 85 grams. when i got him he weighed 101 grams and he was only 9 months going on ten. I'm feeding him a Blue horned worm every other day now. he only pooped once so far. However. Is anything with my cage wrong? I have a 4.0 UVB bulb that he rest right up to. the vine hes on when by the UVB is four inches lower than it. both heat lamps are 150 watts. on the other side of the cage. he has water dripping from the fake plants on the side. and i mist the umbrella plant tree thing everyday. The water I usually use on the cage is tap water. every time i mist his cage he'll bop his head up and down. so then i stop. someone please help, im sorry for the long post, im just worried for him. Plus i got him for free!! hes an Ambilobe+Ambanja mix. I just payed $50 for shipping and the rest on the cage.

Hi everyone...My Panther chameleon Mogley has an infection inside his eyes,(more like a bacteria) and all he ever does is sit inside his cage and sleep.Ive taken him to the vet, and the vet said to do some ure thing. so we did that and then the results came back from the reptile lab, and they said we have to give him liquid medication in this mouth. the meds will be at our home in 2 days or so. what exactly is this bacteria??? the doctor never mentioned that. Mogley also doesn't eat by himself. I had to hand feed him almost 3 or 4 months now hes like 17 months old and weighs 85 grams. when i got him he weighed 101 grams and he was only 9 months going on ten. I'm feeding him a Blue horned worm every other day now. he only pooped once so far. However. Is anything with my cage wrong? I have a 4.0 UVB bulb that he rest right up to. the vine hes on when by the UVB is four inches lower than it. both heat lamps are 150 watts. on the other side of the cage. he has water dripping from the fake plants on the side. and i mist the umbrella plant tree thing everyday. The water I usually use on the cage is tap water. every time i mist his cage he'll bop his head up and down. so then i stop. someone please help, im sorry for the long post, im just worried for him. Plus i got him for free!! hes an Ambilobe+Ambanja mix. I just payed $50 for shipping and the rest on the cage.
[/QUOTE]

First thing...Call your vet and ask what type of bacteria it is. What meds did they prescribe and what is the dosage? Are you feeding him only hornworms? and if so for how long? Is the UVB a 5.0? Linear or compact and what brand? Two heat lamps at 150 watts is way too much where you live (I grew up in Northville so I know the weather). How big is the enclosure and what is it made of? How long do you mist for and how often? Can you post a picture of his eyes?

2 inches and 2 1/2 inches. he survived the winter(thank God!) hes cage temp is in the 80s and and sometimes exactly 91 or 92.3. Once in September it got up to 101!! The enclosure is 36 hight 30 withed and 18 depth. His UVB is a ExoTerra, and i dont know about Linear or Compact, its a strip bulb is that one of them??

I added a Giant umbrella plant in the middle of his cage so dont worry guys! plus i added black carpet so he can see he powdered crickets better.

Hello, while it seems very long, this form is very helpful for other members to figure out any possible husbandry errors that could be causing him more stress and that could eventually lead to his death. While your vet is the best person to contact about the bacteria and medicine, information give on here can help him live a longer healthier life after treatment has been completed.

Pictures of him may be extremely helpful.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information, you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

You have your panther too hot. He needs a place in the cage so he can cool down if he chooses in the mid 70's. Also his basking spot should be no more that 85. If you will fill out the Ask For Help Form, the members here will be able to help you, to help your panther. From what I've read so far it doesn't sound good. He's a beautiful boy and I'd hate to see something happen to him but we need allot more info to help. PLEASE fill out the form.

Here's the You Tube video he's referring to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTrCKO3UJTw

Last edited:
Your Chameleon - Ambilobie+Ambanja (Cross Breed)
History- Very good History but his brother bit the end of his tail at a younger new born age.

Handling - When hes eyes were open before he would walk out of the cage when i opened it. Im very very lucky for that. So from that i assume he likes it.

Feeding - Before...7 largewaxworms, 3 giant mealworms, adult crickets. And for a treat 1 or 2 HornedWorms. Now i feed him 1 horn worm every other day since he is now 85 grams and used to be 101 grams.

Cage Info: 36in High/30in Width/18in Depth. all screened up, except for the bottom that has glass with black carpet on top of it. on the back on the cage, he has a black wall.
I have tons of vines, 6 fake dangling leaves, and an umbrella plant in the middle of the whole cage, and last i have a 4.0 UVB bulb and two 150 bulbs. and a water bowl under the leaves were the drippier is.

Cage Type - The Actual Marty Made guy made it special for me again its
36in High/30in Width/18in Depth. and all screened exept for the back and bottom.

Lighting - 4.0 UVB Light and two 150 bulbs on the other side of the cage

Temperature - Day time is in the 80s sometimes 90.5 night time is 70s mostly 75.

Humidity - 60% In day 45% or so at night.

Its a bacteria inside his eye. Its actually pus. The culture Test does alot of things for you Cham, first the doctor takes some pus out of the chameleons eye. Then he sends it to a reptile lab. Then when the bacteria is at the lab, The doctor there lets the bacteria grow. Then he tests different medications to see which one works the best for your chameleon. The Doctor told me that Mogley will be healthy and all happy in his cage in about a week or 2 from when ever I start giving him the meds. I get the meditation 2 days from today. The doctor told me that Mogley's medication has to be put in his mouth. (Its a liquid)

Its a bacteria inside his eye. Its actually pus. The ure Test does alot of things for you Cham, first the doctor takes some pus out of the chameleons eye. Then he sends it to a reptile lab. Then when the bacteria is at the lab, The doctor there lets the bacteria grow. Then he tests different medications to see which one works the best for your chameleon. The Doctor told me that Mogley will be healthy and all happy in his cage in about a week or 2 from when ever I start giving him the meds. I get the meditation 2 days from today. The doctor told me that Mogley's medication has to be put in his mouth. (Its a liquid)

Your Chameleon - Ambilobie+Ambanja (Cross Breed)
History- Very good History but his brother bit the end of his tail at a younger new born age.

Handling - When hes eyes were open before he would walk out of the cage when i opened it. Im very very lucky for that. So from that i assume he likes it.

Feeding - Before...7 largewaxworms, 3 giant mealworms, adult crickets. And for a treat 1 or 2 HornedWorms. Now i feed him 1 horn worm every other day since he is now 85 grams and used to be 101 grams.

Cage Info: 36in High/30in Width/18in Depth. all screened up, except for the bottom that has glass with black carpet on top of it. on the back on the cage, he has a black wall.
I have tons of vines, 6 fake dangling leaves, and an umbrella plant in the middle of the whole cage, and last i have a 4.0 UVB bulb and two 150 bulbs. and a water bowl under the leaves were the drippier is.

Cage Type - The Actual Marty Made guy made it special for me again its
36in High/30in Width/18in Depth. and all screened exept for the back and bottom.

Lighting - 4.0 UVB Light and two 150 bulbs on the other side of the cage

Temperature - Day time is in the 80s sometimes 90.5 night time is 70s mostly 75.

Humidity - 60% In day 45% or so at night.

You really should ask your vet what the bacteria is. Although you have many beneficial parts to your enclosure and care, there is still much room for improvement. Most members only have one basking spot, which is the highest temperature in the cage and she reach no higher then 85 at all times. How often do you mist him? Chameleons require misting frequently throughout the day to provide humidity and drinking water.
I am wondering why you cut down his feeding to just one hornworm every other day? Also, waxworms are blobs of fat and not nutritional for your cham. Also, mealworms have been known to cause impaction in chameleons. I would recommend adding some silkworms to your diet. What is your supplement schedule?

What kind of supplements are you using? What are you gutloading the feeders with? What type (name brand) UVB light are you using? The type of bacteria and the name of the meds would be very helpful.

The vet that you went to, did he know allot about chameleons?

carrots, potatoes, that wet yellow stuff that is at the pet store. thats about it. The UVB brand says Exoterra, I dont know what meds they are called yet, I have to ask my father if the vet told him. Plus there are going to be two meds, one in his eyes and one in his mouth for him to swallow down (Its a liquid)

yes yes yes!! i use the exact ones, this post is for everyone who commented, The doctor told us that he has a backtira infection that can adjust to any type of medication given to him!! but...theres one medication he gave us called VETROPOLYCIN. It says Bacitanic-neomycin-polymyxin veterinary ophthalmic ointment. PLUS! im getting a medication in the mail that he drinks. like ill put the tube thing im his mouth and he will have to drink it. The doctor also said to keep on flushing his eyes out with Saline Solution. His eyes are getting alittle better so far, still cloudy. it will take some time.

yes yes yes!! i use the exact ones, this post is for everyone who commented, The doctor told us that he has a backtira infection that can adjust to any type of medication given to him!! but...theres one medication he gave us called VETROPOLYCIN. It says Bacitanic-neomycin-polymyxin veterinary ophthalmic ointment. PLUS! im getting a medication in the mail that he drinks. like ill put the tube thing im his mouth and he will have to drink it. The doctor also said to keep on flushing his eyes out with Saline Solution. His eyes are getting alittle better so far, still cloudy. it will take some time.

Thankyou for updating us! Please continue to give updates, and good job doing the best for your cham!

Back
Top Bottom