Panther Chameleon with injured eye?

hail.sc

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon -Female Panther chameleon, 5-6 months old, and I've had her for 3 days
  • Handling - once putting her in her enclosure
  • Feeding - I give her a mix of Phoenix worms and wax worms as a treat every once in a while
  • Supplements - i give her Repti-Calcium without d3 on every meal and 2 times a month i give her Repashy calcium plus LoD
  • Watering - I have a fogger for night time on 15 min intervals (1am-6am) then mist 2-3 times a day and I have seen her drink right after misting
  • Fecal Description - Since Ive only had her 3 days she has only had one bowl movement that Ive seen. It had a white urate and dark brown fecies
  • History - before I got her she had not great husbandry as the employee admitted her eye is due to low humidity

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 2x2x4 Repti-Breeze
  • Lighting - I have a heat lamp and a uvb T5 linear
  • Temperature - during the day her enclosure ranges from 82.4-76.2. Her basking temp is 90-92. The lights turn on at 8am and go off at 8:45pm
  • Humidity - I have a bioactive enclosure so the humidity ranges from 75/80% - 45/50%, I have a fogger and mist by hand 3 times a day
  • Plants - I have some pothos and Algerian neon ivy
  • Placement - She is beside my bed but in a corner so 2 sides of her enclosure are against a wall. I do have my fan on in my room but its always on low/med and she doesn't feel much of the draft as she's in a corner
  • Location - Ontario Canada

Current Problem - So, I paid in full for a male panther chameleon from a shop. I told them I would pick him up in a month as I wanted to ensure the enclosure was okay before I brought him home. Well I picked the chameleon up on June 23rd. It wasn't until I got the chameleon home that I noticed it was always keeping it's right eye shut. This is my first chameleon so I was not 100% sure but it looked like a female to me. I have had many people from facebook groups tell me she is in fact a she. When I was there a month prior there was the male I bought and a female who had what the employee called a burst blood vessel in her eye and it was due to the humidity being too low. Right now I am worried about her eye as she can open it if i make a noise on her right side and she can't see me with her left (good) eye. She is active and has a strong grip (i only held her once which was when I was putting her in her enclosure). She eats and drinks just fine. I have seen her rubbing her right (bad) eye on branches and on the screen of the enclosure. So to me it seems like something is really bothering her and I was her to be as happy and healthy as possible. I had added some background info (as much as I know as I got her 3 days ago).

Attachments

• D3472094-EB2B-4AB9-9A79-E18543378CFA.jpeg
    D3472094-EB2B-4AB9-9A79-E18543378CFA.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 89
  • 6537164A-C771-469A-BEC5-29E68EAC3377.png
    6537164A-C771-469A-BEC5-29E68EAC3377.png
    634.8 KB · Views: 83
Certainly could be something different, but our gal had a closed eye that she started rubbing a lot, turned out to be an infection was very difficult for us to clear (it was fungal, not bacterial and our vet missed it for a long while and it spread). Not saying thats the case with your new one, but it's not a "good" sign, usually means something isn't quite right. Do you have a Reptile vet? They could do a fecal test for you (just a good idea in general, especially since they're new to you) and they also can likely tell you for sure if it's a boy or a girl. Might be worth the visit? Good luck hope all turns out well!

Back
Top Bottom