Panther Chameleon Vomited

Sherburner

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Panther Chameleon, male, we were told he’s a month old.
  • Handling - Has yet to be handled
  • Feeding - Crickets and Meal worms, 10 or so small crickets over the first couple days, he enjoyed a larger cricket that accidentally got into the smaller type bag so we upped the size a bit.
  • Supplements - Calcium and Reptivite
  • Watering - Automated dripping leaves as well as hand misting throughout the day.
  • Fecal Description - dark, solid, mostly white urates.
  • History - only had him for 5 days, this is the first day I’ve been worried.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - The kit that most pet stores sell, mesh, 26x26x38
  • Lighting - same as the kit above, 12 hours on 12 hours off.
  • Temperature - 82 under basking, 74-77 during the day, 73-75 at night.
  • Humidity - not certain the level, constant misting throughout the day.
  • Plants - faux right now, planning to put more in when we deep clean his pen.
  • Placement - he’s in our living room next to my fish. Moderate traffic, he’s about 3ft from the ground.
  • Location - Vermont

Current Problem - I fed him a cricket this morning and after that he went dark brown and was clinging to his vine. Eyes open and such. Still very alert. I left for work and came back at lunchtime and he was still in the same place. I went to mist his enclosure and he turned kind of red in his chest and puffed at me a bit. When I walked away and left him alone he did the usual chameleon puke dance I’ve read about online, and let up about an inch of partially digested crickets. Afterwords he immediately pooped on the vomit. I cleaned up his mess and he’s currently turned the other way and is the color brown that he’s displayed when annoyed.

He should be fine after a good nights rest. At that young age feed extra small bugs, better to have them eat more smaller ones then to choke on something too big and stop feeding meal worms.

You said you started feeding him larger crickets... what size are they? Are they bigger than the width between his eyes?

When I walked away and left him alone he did the usual chameleon puke dance I’ve read about online,
I didn't know that was a thing, but it seems to check out.

1606410069595.png

Current Problem - I fed him a cricket this morning and after that he went dark brown and was clinging to his vine. Eyes open and such. Still very alert. I left for work and came back at lunchtime and he was still in the same place. I went to mist his enclosure and he turned kind of red in his chest and puffed at me a bit. When I walked away and left him alone he did the usual chameleon puke dance I’ve read about online, and let up about an inch of partially digested crickets. Afterwords he immediately pooped on the vomit. I cleaned up his mess and he’s currently turned the other way and is the color brown that he’s displayed when annoyed.
Hi welcome to the forum. Can you please post pictures of your entire enclosure lights down and of the chameleon.... The info your providing sounds more like your using the chameleon kit and not what you think you have based on the sizes you said. See feedback below in red bold.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Panther Chameleon, male, we were told he’s a month old.
  • Handling - Has yet to be handled
  • Feeding - Crickets and Meal worms, 10 or so small crickets over the first couple days, he enjoyed a larger cricket that accidentally got into the smaller type bag so we upped the size a bit. If he is only a month old then he should have pinhead crickets and fruit flies.... Tiny feeders. NO mealworms at all.
  • Supplements - Calcium and Reptivite... Are these the ones that came in the kit? If so what you are using is calcium without D3 and this one should be used at every feeding lightly dusted on all feeders. The reptivite that comes in the kit is calcium with D3 and multivitamins this one should be used ONLY 2 times a month at one feeding say on the 1st and the 15th.
  • Watering - Automated dripping leaves as well as hand misting throughout the day. Guessing you got the fountain. These should not be used. They grow bacteria and are not a healthy way to give water. You need to be spraying the enclosure 2 times a day morning and evening for at least 2 minutes each time. Spraying plants only. Do not spray the baby. If the baby wants to get in the mist he will go on its own. Using a plastic cup with a tiny hole in the bottom creates a dripper. This would sit on top of the cage dripping down onto leaves. This gives baby the option to drink during the day.
  • Fecal Description - dark, solid, mostly white urates.
  • History - only had him for 5 days, this is the first day I’ve been worried.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - The kit that most pet stores sell, mesh, 26x26x38 This is actually 16x16x30. It will be fine for now but start planning for an upgrade to a 2x2x4 ft enclosure in the next few months baby will need to be moved over.
  • Lighting - same as the kit above, 12 hours on 12 hours off. If this is the cham kit then the lighting is incorrect. You need a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 or 6% bulb and then you need to raise the fixture 4 inches off the top and have the closest basking vine below it 5 inches from the screen.
  • Temperature - 82 under basking, 74-77 during the day, 73-75 at night. A bit warm at basking for a baby this young. 78-80max. Night time temps are too warm... They should drop down to at least 65. They need to cool down at night.
  • Humidity - not certain the level, constant misting throughout the day. 50-60% during the day. you do not want to mist constantly this can lead to a respiratory infection. Please see advice above for watering.
  • Plants - faux right now, planning to put more in when we deep clean his pen. Should be all live plants. Helps maintain humidity level and gives multiple hiding places and drinking surfaces. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf
  • Placement - he’s in our living room next to my fish. Moderate traffic, he’s about 3ft from the ground.
  • Location - Vermont

Accurate info and Product links for things I like:

https://chameleonacademy.com/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

www.dragonstrand.com

https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories/products/shooting-gallery

Back
Top Bottom