Panther Chameleon Set Up Help (questionnaire filled out)

GabeCastro

Established Member
Panther Chameleon Set Up Help/General Questions (questionnaire filled out)

Chameleon Info:

(First time chameleon owner)
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Panther Chameleon, Male, 5-6 months old, Has been in my care for about 5 days so far. Named him Jasper.

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Held him a few times, but i started letting him be so he can adapt to his new home.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I mainly feed him medium sized crickets. He would eat about 6-10 every day, take them out at night before he sleeps. I gutload the crickets with flukers green cubes, red bell peppers, zucchini, & pairs. Also plan on adding Dubia, silkworks, and hornworms to his diet here and there.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I use reptical calcium w/out d3 for every day feed, plan on using ReptiCal Calcium w/D3 on the 1st and 15th of each month + ReptiCal Herptivite.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have a MistKing that sprays for 30 seconds at 8:15am, 10:30am for 3 minutes, 12:30pm for 3 minutes, 3:30pm for 3 minutes, and 5:10pm for 3 minutes. Also i have a reptifogger that i use for about 30-60 mins a day to increase the humidity. Also i have a Big Dripper that drips tap water about every 20-25 seconds w/ added Reptisafe drops. Bay Area tap water is the best water in my opinon...So i chose not to use filtered water for his mister, dripper, and hand mister.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? I haven't seen any fecal matter yet...He's eaten about 20 crickets since i've had him for the 5 days, today being day 5. His appetite decreased because i think he's due for a shed. Since the day i've gotten him he looked a bit frosty.

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Bought him from a reptile shop out here in the bay area, he was kept in a super small enclosure all his life. He had substrate on the bottom of the cage and also he could see the 2 other female panther chameleons on his left/right side. They hand misted the chameleon when they opened up (11am weekends, 12am weekdays). Had a small live plant inside the cage with a few branches. Not sure about his heating source either.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? I have him in a 18x18x36" ReptiBreeze Full Mesh aluminum cage. Also have a 24"x24"x48" full mesh aluminum cage. Planned on building it up when my cham gets to around 8-9 months.

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I use a Zoo Med ReptiSun Terrarium Hood w/ Reptisun 5.0 UVB light, also a Flukers clamp lamp 5.5'' that has a ceramic bulb holder w/ 75w Zoo Med Basking Spot Lamp. Schedule is at 7:35am cut on, 7:35pm cut off.

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? The temperature is usally around the mid 80's in his basking spot, but when he basks under the light on a perch i use a handheld thermostat that reads high 80's. Sometimes super low 90's, 92º max Which i move the lamp higher to decrease the chance of burning him. Near the screen door it reads 78º. Bottom reads 74º. I use about 4 different gages, 3 digital and 1 set that are analog. Lowest overnight temp is about low-mid 60's.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? My humidity is always above 70%, usually when its about 30 minutes till a mist it drops to 68%. Basking Spot assuming it dries out reads at 55% humidity level.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? one small Ficus Benjamin and a hanging pothos plant. Both have been kept for about 2 weeks and are still green as can be.

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? It's on the right side of my desk where i'm always at. I'm a graphic design student so i spend allot of time at home/using the computer. My girlfriend always lives with me and he's currently in our room. His cage is infront of a window, theres a curtain that i wanted to replace and make it black so light doesn't shine through. I hung up navy blue bathroom curtains around his enclosure so he wouldn't be able to see me working. He also falls right asleep when his lights cut off.

Location - Where are you geographically located? I am located in Alameda, California. (Bay Area)

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. I want to make sure i have my cage set up for him before i start going back to school again which is a week. I want to make sure he's not too hot and that my misting times are ok for him. He's also due for a shed i believe. I don't have any concerns with his health other than his skin being a bit brown/frosty looking. I can see a "FEW" scales on him that look like dead skin is forming. I tried adding a morning mist so he can get alittle wet and move around to get ready to eat. The past 2 nights he's fell asleep on his basking perch, but when he wakes up he will not move for a good 2 hours. Today he got up and moved away from his basking spot to his UVB bulb where he spends majority of his time at. Also he opens his mouth a few times, and i've read they do that when they're alittle too hot? Should i add more misting cycles but make them 1 minute mists? OH, another thing is...WHAT TYPE OF LOCALE PANTHER DO I HAVE!?!?! i was told i bought a male Nosy Be! But he looks nothing like a Nose Be haha. He has beautiful red rain patterns (Oorana Mena) on him so i was thinking Nosy Faly? Even a Ambilobe...I've made a few threads about this topic but didn't really get the answers i was looking for. Also didn't know we had to fill out this questionnaire, so sorry for that. Please help me out with any adivce/info i could get. I really want to make sure my little guy is ok while i'm gone majority of the day. I would be gone from around 11am-8pm 3 days out of the week the others i'll be home.

Video of cage set up (Watch in 1080p):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exK1sirhOnA&feature=plcp

Day i bought him from the reptile store:
photo.jpg

Current Pics:
IMG_6892.jpg

IMG_6891.jpg

IMG_6887.jpg

Current sleeping Colors:
SleepyEepy.jpg

Current First Wake Colors w/ no flash:
IMG_6855.jpg

Current First Wake Colors w/ flash:
IMG_6862.jpg

Last edited:
Everything sounds great! Are you leaving the curtain around the cage all the time? or just at night? If you are doing so during the day when you are working try taking it off and see how he reacts. I housed my chameleon right next to my computer and he would actually lay on a branch closest to side where I was sitting. Let him get used to you.

Everything sounds great! Are you leaving the curtain around the cage all the time? or just at night? If you are doing so during the day when you are working try taking it off and see how he reacts. I housed my chameleon right next to my computer and he would actually lay on a branch closest to side where I was sitting. Let him get used to you.
relieved that i'm doing a good job so far haha.

But yes, once 7:35pm hits i hang the drapes up and let him be for 12 hours. I wake up when the lights kick on and i take the curtains down so he doesn't get too hot/humid inside. The curtains just cover the side i can see him from/the front. Heres a pic of it. Stays pretty dark inside with my ceiling light on and he falls right asleep, even when i didn't have the curtains.

photo-1.jpg

My responses are in red First welcome to the wonderful world of chameleons. I always enjoy seeing a person taking good care of their chameleon.

Chameleon Info:

(First time chameleon owner)
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Panther Chameleon, Male, 5-6 months old, Has been in my care for about 5 days so far. Named him Jasper.

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Held him a few times, but i started letting him be so he can adapt to his new home.
Glad you are letting him be, that will help him adjust faster

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I mainly feed him medium sized crickets. He would eat about 6-10 every day, take them out at night before he sleeps. I gutload the crickets with flukers green cubes, red bell peppers, zucchini, & pairs. Also plan on adding Dubia, silkworks, and hornworms to his diet here and there.
Your gutload could use some work. It isn't awful, except for the green cubes, but we will help you improve on that, when everything has settled into a normal routine with school

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I use reptical calcium w/out d3 for every day feed, plan on using ReptiCal Calcium w/D3 on the 1st and 15th of each month + ReptiCal Herptivite.
you are spot on, looks really good

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have a MistKing that sprays for 30 seconds at 8:15am, 10:30am for 3 minutes, 12:30pm for 3 minutes, 3:30pm for 3 minutes, and 5:10pm for 3 minutes. Also i have a reptifogger that i use for about 30-60 mins a day to increase the humidity. Also i have a Big Dripper that drips tap water about every 20-25 seconds w/ added Reptisafe drops. Bay Area tap water is the best water in my opinon...So i chose not to use filtered water for his mister, dripper, and hand mister.
You are drowning poor jasper.:) I have montane chameleons which need lots of water and I don't give them that many misting.:) Also you are making it almost impossible for your cage to dry out and that may cause long term problems, such as mold and feet problems. If you have a good hydrometer, I am sure you will see you don't need the reptifogger. You should have plenty of humidity from the mistings, the dripper and the plants. I would cut the daily misting down to 3 sessions of 3 minutes each. JMO Some might say 3 misting of 4 minutes each. But if you want, cut down slowly so you are comfortable you are misting enough.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? I haven't seen any fecal matter yet...He's eaten about 20 crickets since i've had him for the 5 days, today being day 5. His appetite decreased because i think he's due for a shed. Since the day i've gotten him he looked a bit frosty. If he is ready to shed he may go off his food some. He also might still be adjusting to his new home. If he really is only 5 or 6 months (often pet stores are not sure) I would offer closer to 10 crickets every other day. It is also good you plan to have a selection of feeders

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Bought him from a reptile shop out here in the bay area, he was kept in a super small enclosure all his life. He had substrate on the bottom of the cage and also he could see the 2 other female panther chameleons on his left/right side. They hand misted the chameleon when they opened up (11am weekends, 12am weekdays). Had a small live plant inside the cage with a few branches. Not sure about his heating source either.
After those living conditions it may take him time to adjust to going to "heaven" to live

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? I have him in a 18x18x36" ReptiBreeze Full Mesh aluminum cage. Also have a 24"x24"x48" full mesh aluminum cage. Planned on building it up when my cham gets to around 8-9 months.Sounds like a good plan, but if he seems ready(what ever that means) you can move him sooner. I would wait so he isn't moved again for a few months

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I use a Zoo Med ReptiSun Terrarium Hood w/ Reptisun 5.0 UVB light, also a Flukers clamp lamp 5.5'' that has a ceramic bulb holder w/ 75w Zoo Med Basking Spot Lamp. Schedule is at 7:35am cut on, 7:35pm cut off.looks good

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? The temperature is usally around the mid 80's in his basking spot, but when he basks under the light on a perch i use a handheld thermostat that reads high 80's. Sometimes super low 90's, 92º max Which i move the lamp higher to decrease the chance of burning him. Near the screen door it reads 78º. Bottom reads 74º. I use about 4 different gages, 3 digital and 1 set that are analog. Lowest overnight temp is about low-mid 60's. That is fine as long as he can warm up. I have a hand held temp gun and often check the chans body temp.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? My humidity is always above 70%, usually when its about 30 minutes till a mist it drops to 68%. Basking Spot assuming it dries out reads at 55% humidity level. you don't need 70% all time, just spikes to 70% when the mister go off. I would let it drop to 50% in the entire cage a couple times a day.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? one small Ficus Benjamin and a hanging pothos plant. Both have been kept for about 2 weeks and are still green as can be. Both good plants and really help humidity (not that you need help:)) How did you get the plants ready for the cage? I wash the leaves with mild dish soap, and cover the dirt with river rocks to large for the cham to get in his mouth

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? It's on the right side of my desk where i'm always at. I'm a graphic design student so i spend allot of time at home/using the computer. My girlfriend always lives with me and he's currently in our room. His cage is infront of a window, theres a curtain that i wanted to replace and make it black so light doesn't shine through. I hung up navy blue bathroom curtains around his enclosure so he wouldn't be able to see me working. He also falls right asleep when his lights cut off.Unless you are worried that the heat from the window will be to warm, me might like to look out, my chams love to look out. Chams learn when the light of out. They will often go to their sleeping spot before lights out.

Location - Where are you geographically located? I am located in Alameda, California. (Bay Area)

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. I want to make sure i have my cage set up for him before i start going back to school again which is a week. I want to make sure he's not too hot and that my misting times are ok for him. He's also due for a shed i believe. I don't have any concerns with his health other than his skin being a bit brown/frosty looking. I can see a "FEW" scales on him that look like dead skin is forming. I tried adding a morning mist so he can get alittle wet and move around to get ready to eat. The past 2 nights he's fell asleep on his basking perch, but when he wakes up he will not move for a good 2 hours. Today he got up and moved away from his basking spot to his UVB bulb where he spends majority of his time at. Also he opens his mouth a few times, and i've read they do that when they're alittle too hot? Should i add more misting cycles but make them 1 minute mists? OH, another thing is...WHAT TYPE OF LOCALE PANTHER DO I HAVE!?!?! i was told i bought a male Nosy Be! But he looks nothing like a Nose Be haha. He has beautiful red rain patterns (Oorana Mena) on him so i was thinking Nosy Faly? Even a Ambilobe...I've made a few threads about this topic but didn't really get the answers i was looking for. Also didn't know we had to fill out this questionnaire, so sorry for that. Please help me out with any adivce/info i could get. I really want to make sure my little guy is ok while i'm gone majority of the day. I would be gone from around 11am-8pm 3 days out of the week the others i'll be home.

Sorry but I don't even guess on locale, and I sure don't know.:(
If I have given you too much feedback, it is only because you seen to be thinking and caring about Jasper so i am trying to help. I have given you what I would do. You need to know in keeping chameleons, there are many "right" ways to keep them.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the feedback Laurie! Took allot of stress off my shoulders, gives me enough time to adjust a few things to get ready before i leave to school. But i really do appreciate you taking the time to help me out with my entire set up.

I used to have his mist times for 3 times day, but i noticed he was going to shed soon so i bumped his mist times up.

I'll give it a shot and maybe reduce the 3 minute mists to 2 minute mists? Just want to help him shed. (I should of stated this in the questionnaire).

As for his fecal matter, he recently just defected. I'm making another thread about this topic since his #2 looked insane. i think he was constipated so i took him outside as another user mentioned from a post i seen. Kinda broke my handeling rule :/ Please take a look at this post to help me out, i'm being a worry wart :'(

https://www.chameleonforums.com/con...on-fecal-matter-pics-inside-91584/#post856041

Not to worry, i like to help. If I were changing the misters I would go longer each time with fewer mistings. Some chams are slow to start drinking. Helping them shed with extra misting are always good. I just didn't know that was what you were doing.

I have already posted on your other thread.:)

Not to worry, i like to help. If I were changing the misters I would go longer each time with fewer mistings. Some chams are slow to start drinking. Helping them shed with extra misting are always good. I just didn't know that was what you were doing.

I have already posted on your other thread.:)
Ok, i'll def change the mist times once he finishes his shed. Seems like he's doing good after the bomb he let go. Currently basking, attempted to eat but he missed and went to go bask.

And thanks again for replying so fast...I really appreciate it!

Helpful

This was good info to look over I will be getting my first panther in about a week I can't wait

This was good info to look over I will be getting my first panther in about a week I can't wait
Whats up Davon!

Welcome to the forums, I'm fairly new to the forums aswell.

I did do allot of research before getting my chameleon. Glad you're starting to do your research BEFORE you pick the little guy up :)

What type of set up are you looking at? Chameleon? Male or Female? Age? Etc?

Back
Top Bottom