Panther chameleon safe plants. Help.

Anika

8BE1C3DF-DC79-4593-90D3-91BCB499ED0A.jpeg
35A2B4A5-D209-4489-95D8-F96F43E5FB1C.jpeg
Are these plants safe to plant for a panther chameleon??

I think the jade plants are ok to use, the crassula ovata and the crassula ovata "gollum". The hawthorias and aloes wouldn't be good because they're sharp, and I'm not sure about the Protulaca afra. Succulents don't really serve any purpose to chameleons other than looking pretty. And the high humidity wouldn't be good for Any of them.

Last edited:
I have got some big leafy plants going in for them to hide in along with orchids and hydra helix.

I have got some big leafy plants going in for them to hide in along with orchids and hydra helix.
As I said, the jade plants are the only ones I think are safe to use. But try not to mist them with the rest of the enclosure.

Most of those look like succulents.. you can use a jade plant (I have one for free range) but be aware that it won't be able to support an adult chameleon's weight. I use an umbrella plant (scheflerra) that's about three feet tall as the base plant in my enclosure.
Plus I don't think those plants will handle the copious amounts of water that most of us go through in a day.

Here is a list I got from @Extensionofgreen when starting my build. It's a pretty good mix of ground cover and taller species. One pilea that doesn't seem to pop up when searching the name is "dark mystery" pilea though. When I first found it I wasn't to keen on its look but must say, it has become my favorite of my ground cover. I went with purple passion (on fl chams safe list), pinkish red fittonia, dark mystery pilea, and a polka dot plant (unbeknownst to me at the time of purchase :rolleyes:).

Pilea
Agloenema
Apidestra
Draceana
Alphelandra
Fittonia
Calathea
Maranta
Cetanthe
Pteris ferns
Some gingers
Coffee