Panther chameleon not growing

Charlieboy

I have a male juvenile panther. I'm not sure of his exact age. He's been with me for about 1.5 - 2 months. He has not grown and doesn't eat much. He won't eat roaches or worms, but will eat 4-5 medium crickets per day usually. I'm concerned that he's not getting all the nutrition he needs and that's why he's not growing. I've let the crickets run free in his enclosure so he can hunt, but he doesn't. If I tong feed him he'll eat. When he shoots his tongue, his aim is off. I have a vet appointment next week to have him checked out but any help beforehand would be greatly appreciated. I'm afraid he's not happy 😔

Hi and welcome. You could put a feeder cup / shooting gallery in . Has he been tested for parasites/ fecal test . Can you fill in a husbandry form which can be found in the health section under how to ask for help. Copy and paste your answers to help the members on here to help.

Hi and welcome. You could put a feeder cup / shooting gallery in . Has he been tested for parasites/ fecal test . Can you fill in a husbandry form which can be found in the health section under how to ask for help. Copy and paste your answers to help the members on here to help.
I'm not sure where to find the form. I have a mealworm dish but he won't eat from it.

Here you go...
Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
Photos can be very helpful.

Attachments

• 20210401_175550.jpg
    20210401_175550.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 91
Hi and welcome! :) So glad that you already have a vet appointment. We can check your husbandry and see if there’s any possible causes of your guys problems, but even a vet can’t diagnose or treat your animal on line. So, let’s get started with a husbandry review. If you could answer all of these questions and include some pics of your chameleon, enclosure and including lights, someone can look it over for any possible changes that need to be made.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Panther chameleon. I'm not sure of exact age, he's young, still not showing his colors. He's been with me for about 1.5-2 months.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Never
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? He won't eat anything but crickets, small to medium. He eats 4-5 crickets on average daily. They are gutloaded with carrots and potatoes. He gets fed when he shows himself for the day, usually mid to late morning.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Dusting them with Repashy Calcium Plus once a week.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have a dripper and automatic mister. The mister was set to go off for 1 min every 4 hours but read online last night to mist him 2x a day for 5+ minutes so I started that today. I have not seen him drink but my husband said he has.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? White and brown. He has not been tested.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I don't have much Info other then the above. I got from a store, he had been there a day or two. I had been watching him and he was eating worms there. He came in with a female. She grew alot (I see her when I stop there for feeders) and chows down on the worms. Charlie (my baby) goes to bed around 4 pm and pops up between 8 & 10 am.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Reptibreeze screened cage 16x16x30. I know he'll need a larger one but figured since he is small this should work until I get a larger one.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 60w ceramic heater, 5.0 UVB and slimline 18" T8. The ceramic stays on, the bulbs are on a timer from 8 am-8 pm.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have 2 digital thermometers, one on basking branch and other in the back of the cage. I do not have one on the bottom, but he sleeps down there on a vine. The basking is usually between 75-85 F. The other ranges from 70-80 F. Usually low 70s at night.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I have a digital hygrometer and it reads between 50-70 on average. Obviously higher while misting. I have an automatic mister that was set for 1 min every 4 hours. I read last night to mist 2x a day and at least 5 min. So started that today.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Pothos plant
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? In my daughter's room not near any of the above. The top is 6 ft off the ground.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Upstate NY

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. He has not grown and I don't think he's eating as much as he should be.

Attachments

• 20210401_175550.jpg
    20210401_175550.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 20210401_193334.jpg
    20210401_193334.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 87
  • 20210401_193341.jpg
    20210401_193341.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 73
  • 20210401_193419.jpg
    20210401_193419.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 82
Wow thats a jungle for sure . Is there enough room for your little guy to move in there in between everything. What lights you got up top as if your uvb is correct its only getting to a small portion of your enclosure

I was thinking any redoing the vines and taking some of the foliage out but he moves quite well through everything. I want to take the mossy vine out because I'm afraid it'll grow bacteria from not thoroughly drying out. What would you recommend for the light?

Hi do you have pictures of your cham . As you have noted you will want to upgrade a 2x2x4 is recommended as a minimum but bigger is better. Do you have a solarmeter 6.5 to check uv levels personally I would think about getting a linear (long fluorescent tube ) for uvb a repti sun 5% or an arcadia 6% t5ho in place of your t8 and coil bulb.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210115-215443_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210115-215443_Chrome.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 57
I did see the gutloading pic on a different thread and will be getting greens tomorrow for the crickets. I can get a uv bulb that will fit in the t8 or will I need a new fixtures also? Charlie is already asleep in the back, buried in his favorite sleeping spot so unfortunately I cannot get pics of him right now. I'll post some that are a few weeks old so you can see him for now.

Attachments

• 20210313_171546.jpg
    20210313_171546.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 20210310_164611.jpg
    20210310_164611.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 20210310_164032.jpg
    20210310_164032.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 87
Thats ok thanks. @Beman lights / supplements. Not unless your temps drop below 10 Celsius you don't need your che on at night a night time drop in temperature is healthy. 70 % daytime humidity would be your maximum but as you have seen and adjusted your misting schedule should be OK just keep an eye on it. Your levels can go up at night to 100 % ( you could get a govee mini that you can download to your phone ) but I would concentrate on enclosure size upgrade for now. I find it helpful to write down a list and prioritise through it and take it from there. As you can see my uv in the middle diagonally covers more of the enclosure

Attachments

• 20210323_153334.jpg
    20210323_153334.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 20210219_175835.jpg
    20210219_175835.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 69
He looks young enough that 10-20 feeders/day would be a normal amount... Some of the babies I've had never really get the hang of hunting down their own food. If you feed him by hand, how much is he willing to eat at once? Will he eat more if you offer again an hour or so later?

He looks young enough that 10-20 feeders/day would be a normal amount... Some of the babies I've had never really get the hang of hunting down their own food. If you feed him by hand, how much is he willing to eat at once? Will he eat more if you offer again an hour or so later?
I tong feed him. He'll take up to 4 or 5 in a row and then stop. I'll go back and try some more a little later and he'll usually take 1 or 2 more.

Back
Top Bottom