Panther chameleon new cage

PajaP

Hello!
I’ve decided to buy a new enclosure for my 2 year old Panther chameleon to our new apartment. I am considering a few options but don’t know which one to choose. ?
Currently I have glass/screen enclosure 70x50x120 cm but it is too heavy to carry and also I’d like to leave one enclosure in the old apartment.

My options are as follows:

1. Go for Reptibreeze XL 61x61x122

+ size
+ have full screen enclosure - good ventilation
+ possibility to be outside

- possible need for buying another 3 sides and double sided velcros to attach in order to maintain humidity and prevent draught
- buying it from different country - possible troubles with return if damaged
- higher price
- water could squirt outside when misting

2. local maker screen cage 50x50x100

+ same as previous - advantages of screen cage
+ lower price
+ possibility to be outside

- smaller size
- I would possibly have to buy the covering sides as above
- water could squirt outside when misting

3. local maker partially screen cage 60x60x120 (back and sides covered), plastic piece under the door

+ size
+ already covered sides

- higher price
- not possible to uncover those sides to have full mesh
- can be too hot when outside

I want what is the best for my chameleon but have my worries here. I don’t want to buy a cage I’d be unhappy in the future. I am worried with full screen that I would need to attach those sides - how would I attach them? The one with sides already installed if it’s not a shame that I couldn’t have mesh sometimes (in the sunny day on the balcony etc.) - they say that in the covered cage outside it is too hot.
I want to have ideal cage in terms of humidity and air flow. The enclosure will be next to the window facing west that means afternoon sun.

Any advice/opinion/experience welcomed and apreciated!

Thank you.

5530F129-96DA-44CB-95A4-732D4B585689.jpeg
93EFDAC5-FA44-4459-8811-74150E3BBD2A.jpeg

IMHO, bigger is best once your cham is grown. It provides more space for bigger bushier plants, more climbing space, more ability to provide heat and humidity gradients, space for dripper dishes, lay bins, feeder containers, or other things you might want to put inside. Can you request the largest cage to be made to order with screen panels (maybe two or three screen sides but the back solid?)? You could also request that screen vent panels be placed into the solid sides, and plan to close them in if conditions seem to call for it.

You can attach solid sides temporarily/seasonally as needed in several ways. Attach coroplast or lightweight plexiglass panels over the screen with velcro tabs you make yourself. Get self adhesive velcro tape, attach one half to the cage frame and one half to the panels. A less expensive option is to hang clear plastic vinyl sheeting from velcro tape along the the tops of the screen sides and let it hang.

I would always prefer a screen sided cage that I can close in as conditions dictate. Much easier to adjust things than a mostly solid sided cage. If/when that solid sided cage gets too warm or too humid, not much you can do to change it. A screen cage is lighter in weight, making it easier to move around. Overspray is just something to deal with when housing chams. Placing the cage somewhere where a little bit of water spray won't matter is key.

Last edited:
Where are you located? Do you experience cold winters and dry summers? Or is it naturally humid where you live?
I am located in the Czech Republic, I’d say it’s not that humid here. Currently forecast says 35% outside.
Winters are not what they used to be - warmer, summers are warmer too, around 30 degrees Celsius, max 35 I’d say also the weather became more dry in general.

Last edited:
I am located in the Czech Republic, I’d say it’s not that humid here. Currently forecast says 35% outside.
Winters are not what they used to be - warmer, summers are warmer too, around 30 degrees Celsius, max 35 I’d say also the weather became more dry in general.
You'd probably be best suited with a XL reptibreeze and adding or subtracting liners to trap in more humidity or allow more airflow.

Back
Top Bottom