Panther chameleon mouth issue

Ok so, he vet bill reads like this:-
Fluid therepy: subcutaneous
Consumables: iodine solution weak 2.5%
Medications: covenia injections 80mg & multivitamin injection both by subcutaneous injection.

Hope that means more to someone else than it does to me...

Covenia is a long acting antibiotic used in dogs and cats. How it is metabolized in chameleons isn't known but in other reptiles, birds, ruminants and primates it is metabolized quickly so one dose may not be sufficient. And it is an antibiotic so not effective against fungal infections.

Covenia is a long acting antibiotic used in dogs and cats. How it is metabolized in chameleons isn't known but in other reptiles, birds, ruminants and primates it is metabolized quickly so one dose may not be sufficient. And it is an antibiotic so not effective against fungal infections.
I have the same concerns. Convenia is shown to last less than 24 hours in many reptiles, sometimes even as few as 6 hours. Unlike in carnivores where it can last up to two weeks. It's not used in reptiles for that reason. And I'd be more worried about fungal or viral based on your picture.

Iodine should not be toxic if diluted.

Okay so, what should Clive be having then? What should I be doing?

Obviously I can only go by what im being told by the professional...

As far as antibiotics go ceftazidime is a much better choice in reptiles. It has to be injected every 3 days. I'd start with that and dilute iodine scrubs and silver sulfadiazene on the external part. An oral antifungal might be needed depending on response.

My predicament is, that I cant get items you mention myself, obviously, dont even know what they are, and I cant really go to the vet and say "right mate, heres what you need to do (insert above recommendations), so sort it out!"
Not quite like that, but you catch my drift.

Starting to think poor Clive would be better off with someone else :(

If he's a good vet and listens to his clients with pets he is unfamiliar with he just may listen to your concerns and follow what Dr Ferret suggests. She is after all quite experienced. I know when I was seeing reptiles I would get good information from some of my clients. If this one doesn't listen then the next one will. Vets are not trained in reptiles so their expertise is really quite variable. Clive already has an owner who cares. There is no way he'd be better elsewhere.

Not all vets are created equal. No vet can be an expert in all animals, there are just to many. Maybe you should try to find a vet that has a lot of cham patients.

Back
Top Bottom