panther chameleon issue ASAP URGENT THANKS!!!!

Those are very good odds considering the condition he was in and from the pictures you sent, I'm glad you went in right away and didn't wait ;)
I've had several species of Uromastyx for many years, and they are one of the hardiest reptiles if bought CB (I've had WC die of parasite impaction) and you need to keep them very, very hot, mine prefer 120-130 degrees... you need a mercury vapor bulb. I would definitely start with a Mali Uro though, and nothing else yet, at www.DeerFernFarms.com. PM me if you have questions about their special requirements of humidity, etc.

I think those are really good odds too given what was going on. I'm so glad he's getting the care he needs.

I'm sorry about your bank account though!!!

lol well im still young haha luckily my mom wants to take care of it rofl so not directly my wallet rofl :p id love to get a uro but rnt the mercury vapor bulbs like 120bux or something per bulb or Im seperating my sulcata tortoise from my panther if he survives so im gettin a desert tank anyways and im thinking if I can add a uro I mean they r both herbivores so why not and i Know they territorial but i doubt my small baby sulcata will bother him any ideas? im having an expo july 11th in ny so ill be planning to get something from there and I want to get everythin upfront so im not left unprepared and dont know how to care for him u know thanx again

They're less than $50 and the only ones I use are Mega-Ray from www.reptileuv.com because the UVB doesn't burn out as quickly as all the others, and you'll need a temperature gun too, with those bulbs.

They're less than $50 and the only ones I use are Mega-Ray from www.reptileuv.com because the UVB doesn't burn out as quickly as all the others, and you'll need a temperature gun too, with those bulbs.

are they uvb supply also or do I need more bulbs i heard bout them before but im not sure if its the same thing its this huge round bulb its heat and uvb and it was 110 bucks but recommended because its less hassle ...etc

are they uvb supply also or do I need more bulbs i heard bout them before but im not sure if its the same thing its this huge round bulb its heat and uvb and it was 110 bucks but recommended because its less hassle ...etc

It is heat, natural light, and UVB. Definitely buy online, much cheaper.

You said..."Im seperating my sulcata tortoise from my panther if he survives"...you mean they have been in the same cage?? That could have been part of the problem with your chameleon.

talked with my vet very thoroughly and wont get into details but thats not the cause my chami was jus severly dehydrated mostly and his eyes had some debriin them no infections could be found so far and there is no way my tortoise could spread anythin like that to him

Your sulcata could be carrying germs that are natural to it but not natural to the chameleon....which might have something to do with the eye problem in the first place. Also...doesn't a sulcata live in a different habitat normally than a veiled??

Last edited:
The chameleon had an eye problem because it was dehydrated and didn't shed properly thus gettin his eye stuck shot but he had them cleaned out and he's better and my chameleon is a ambilobe panther not a veiled and yes they are from totally diff environments but my tortoise actually loves it so I'm keeping him there for now but like I said I'm changing his tank because if anything I don't Want future infections possibly spreading

I've also talked to my vet and she said there is really no possible way of a disease spreading from a tortoise to a chameleon like wise a human can't sick from a disease or infection a dog has

I've also talked to my vet and she said there is really no possible way of a disease spreading from a tortoise to a chameleon like wise a human can't sick from a disease or infection a dog has

Wrong.

Please get the tortoise out of there. You are housing species with very different conditions in there. I am sure your tortoise does not love it-and how would you know that anyways?

There is far more than an eye issue here, that animal is dehydrated and otherwise unhealthy-and that could have brought on the eye issue.

Your supplelentation is way off-once a week? Always with D3 Calcium I will assume, and no multivite?

100 watts? I hope you are measuring with a digital thermometer-100 watt lightbulbs that are 6-8 inches away can create temps in the 100's-easily dehydrating an animal. We see it here time and time again-people baking their animals with temps in the 100's because they had a cheap analog thermometer that was 20 degree off.

I hope you can turn him around, but it will take some of your time and attention to details to do so. The Vet was the right move. Did she suggest hydration at all? Did you tell her they were housed together?

Last edited:
I would move the tortose also, he could be stressing the cham and causing him to hide and possible injure himself in doing so. He may also be reluctant to eat or drink properly with another animal present. Even though the tortise probably doens't know the cham exists and is fine with him, he's probably viewed as a predator to the cham. Chams are nortoresly solitary animals. I'm sure the vet will check fecals and do blood tests for calcium and whatever else. Get a write on on everything that was done [thats a lot of money]. I would join or attend one of the herp societies meetings. You'll network with locals with great knowledge of many reptiles and will know which vets are good and cheap. It's great you have an interest in reptiles, become an expert so you can be the one helping others. Recognizing problems early or better yet avoiding them alltogether with good husbandry practices is far less stressful [and cheaper] than dealing with emergencies. And tell your mom the forum says thank you.

I hope your chameleon makes a full recovery. Like I said before, "he is going to need some serious TLC. Remember to totally re-evaluate your husbandry and make sure everything is correct. You said that chameleon is a screameleon correct? Therefore, use Vince's website and review the "how to care for your chameleon section". I would 100% remove the tortois from the chameleon enclosure BTW. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom