Panther chameleon hanging his leg

What supplement schedule do you follow? The Herptivite has no preformed Vit A. Did the vet test Vit A levels?
No he didnt, I do Calcium with d3 twice a month and multivitamins twice a month, every other day calcium without D3

Attachments

• $RD0XJME.jpg
    $RD0XJME.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 84
No he didnt, I do Calcium with d3 twice a month and multivitamins twice a month, every other day calcium without D3
So it should be calcium without D3 every feeding. You could try Repashy Calcium Plus LoD, as it has preformed Vit A (it'll be both your multivitamin and D3 supplement, so you would only use plain calcium without D3 with this). Zoo Med's Reptivite works better for me, but it does have phosphorus in it.

So it should be calcium without D3 every feeding. You could try Repashy Calcium Plus LoD, as it has preformed Vit A (it'll be both your multivitamin and D3 supplement, so you would only use plain calcium without D3 with this). Zoo Med's Reptivite works better for me, but it does have phosphorus in it.
And when it comes to the amount of feeders is this okay? you told me this a few days ago and should it work for a 1 year old panther chameleon?

Attachments

• 1658872490842.png
    1658872490842.png
    85.4 KB · Views: 79
And when it comes to the amount of feeders is this okay? you told me this a few days ago and should it work for a 1 year old panther chameleon?
Yup! You might have to wean him down instead of going cold turkey to the new schedule, but that's up to you. If he starts losing weight, add a feeder or two, and if he starts gaining weight, cut down by a feeder

Does anyone have a recommendation for oral medication? because today was the first day that I tried, the vet said that I should just make him open his mouth and shoot the medicine inside but ive been working with him for like 30 minutes and nothing, he wont he just gets scared and runs off to hide so any recommendation could be nice I dont really want to feed him and do it when he is about to shoot his tongue

Does anyone have a recommendation for oral medication? because today was the first day that I tried, the vet said that I should just make him open his mouth and shoot the medicine inside but ive been working with him for like 30 minutes and nothing, he wont he just gets scared and runs off to hide so any recommendation could be nice I dont really want to feed him and do it when he is about to shoot his tongue
Will he hand feed or cup feed? If so talk to the vet about injecting the med into the feeder. I found this the easiest. Or when they take a feeder then slide the syringe in the mouth aiming for the very back. Like in this link. http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2014/05/how-to-give-different-medicines.html

So there are a few things to consider...

For one, you need to make sure you know where their airway is. This image should help The blue is the back of their throat, the red arrow is the airway - they breathe from the front of their mouth, so when you administer medication, do so TOWARDS THE BACK so they don't aspirate what you're feeding them. See the picture below for reference.

As far as what I do, my cham also would refuse to open his mouth. So one thing you can do is get him out and put him on a towel - that gives his feet something to grip to and gives them a sense of a little more stability. Get your meds drawn and ready, and within reach.

Then, what I do is carefully cup my hand over the cham's back (they hate it, but getting them to open their mouth is the goal here, so that aids in it) and with my non-dominant hand's thumb and pointer finger, I put it on either side of the cham's jaw, near the hinge, and squeeze gently, but firmly. That almost always guarantees a mouth opening to prove he's not happy. In my dominant hand, I'll have the syringe ready, and will quickly (carefully!) put it in his mouth and inject towards the back of the throat. It's worked well for me consistently.

When I was giving meds, I also would try and dose him just after he woke up - he was a lot less feisty then, than in the afternoon when I got home from work. By then he'd been awake and basking and wandering so he was FAR more wiggly and non-compliant.

1658942037927.png

Oh perfect I will be trying to get him to open his mouth but if anything atleast I got the injecting the feeders strategy, I just tried while he was chewing and he stopped chewing as soon as I opened the enclosure, and thanks for the information of the airway because hes completely the opposite as for humans, So i was just going to shoot it to the bottom of his mouth not back thankfully he refused before I did that

Sail, you can also dust your worms if you are worried that the change in his feeders will leave him short on calcium. liquid calcium can also be injected into hornworms. Inject at thier middle too close to the back and they can get rid of it.

Sail, you can also dust your worms if you are worried that the change in his feeders will leave him short on calcium. liquid calcium can also be injected into hornworms. Inject at thier middle too close to the back and they can get rid of it.
I changed his diet and his swelling on the limb comes and goes from time to time, usually gets better for a few weeks and then it comes back for a few days, hes doing great with the new diet, hes always hungry even tho hes an adult and shouldnt eat that much but thank you

I changed his diet and his swelling on the limb comes and goes from time to time, usually gets better for a few weeks and then it comes back for a few days, hes doing great with the new diet, hes always hungry even tho hes an adult and shouldnt eat that much but thank you
Any news? How is he doing ?
The reason I ask is my one has a similar thing going on…

Any news? How is he doing ?
The reason I ask is my one has a similar thing going on…
Hes doing great right now, the swollen leg comes back sometimes but I found out that changing the gut loading and giving him long misting sessions when he has a swollen leg gets rid of it in 2-3 days, of course you can always find clues of him starting to get swollen when he sleeps just see if he uses the leg or if he just hangs it on the side

Back
Top Bottom