panther chameleon eye problem

sammseals

Hello. I got my panther in October of 2012. I haven't had a problem with him until about 2 weeks ago. All of a sudden when he was being sprayed his eye would buldge. it looked like his eye was having a seizure. so then I looked it up and found that chameleons do that when they get water in their tear duct? I don't know if that's true but that's all the information I could find. Then, yesterday he had his eye completely closed so today I took him out and actually showered him with the sink shower sprayer thing and he finally opened it up but it still looks sunken in. also, after his eye opened he was puffing up at me when he could only see me out of his bad eye so I don't think his vision is very great in that eye right now. any suggestions or ideas of whats wrong?

-Male
-Handling: About 20 minutes every other day
-Feeding: crickets every day
-Watering: Mister built in cage, sprays for 30 seconds every 2 hours.
-Heating: 5.0 glo bulb and 75 watt basking bulb
-Cage: I think its 4x2x2
-I have two plants in his cage also but I don't remember what they are called. I do know they are on the list for good plants for chameleons.

When you say his eye was having a seizure did it look like what the chameleon in this video is doing? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd89IM6WggA
If so that is just normal eye cleaning. However he shouldn't keep his eye(s) closed for long periods of time unless sleeping. My understanding is that there could be several reasons he is keeping his eye(s) closed, such as debris caught in it, illness, irritation, low humidity / dehydration, Vit. A deficiency, ect. There are numerous posts on this site about eye problems, I'm sure they could help out.
Another common thing to try besides showers is to get a sterile saline solution and try to flush the eye out with it. If the problem persists or gets worse after showers / flushings, a trip to a reptile vet may be needed. I hope your cham gets over whatever is ailing him.

yes that is what his eye looked like and yes I thought it was normal. his eye is slightly open now. I have been misting his eye with a squirt bottle every 30 mins to see if it was just dehydrated. I do know that when the misters turn on in his cage he runs from them. he drinks the water after they turn off but he doesn't actually shower under them. also, my humidity is always between 40-60 but I can never get the temperature up enough at the top of his cage. its at about 80. but most of the time hes in the middle or bottom of the cage anyways so I don't think that's effecting him. he may just have something stuck in it. I will get some solution and try that.

When you say his eye was having a seizure did it look like what the chameleon in this video is doing? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd89IM6WggA
If so that is just normal eye cleaning. However he shouldn't keep his eye(s) closed for long periods of time unless sleeping. My understanding is that there could be several reasons he is keeping his eye(s) closed, such as debris caught in it, illness, irritation, low humidity / dehydration, Vit. A deficiency, ect. There are numerous posts on this site about eye problems, I'm sure they could help out.
Another common thing to try besides showers is to get a sterile saline solution and try to flush the eye out with it. If the problem persists or gets worse after showers / flushings, a trip to a reptile vet may be needed. I hope your cham gets over whatever is ailing him.
The video you put up is what my female panthers eye looks like .. but not as bad. She keeps rubbing her eyes on a branch, and isn't drinking at all.. im really worried when I mist her she shakes and closes her eyes like she's having a fit, during that she also does what the chameleons eye was doing on the video you put up.. Please reply I'm really worried :(

That is exactly what my Rudis chameleon has been doing for the last few days, and still cannot figure out whats bothering him.

Back
Top Bottom