Panther chameleon eye issues

Turtlekeeper1924

I have a male panther chameleon of 3 years and one of his eyes has been squinting and is slightly bulging he has kept it closed to very squinted for two days. His appetite is excellent as normal and he didn’t seem to have a problem aiming or eating his food. The temperature in the basking spot is around 85-90 degrees with humidity 55-70% and he his in a 4 foot tall by 2 foot by 2 foot homemade screen enclosure he has a fountain which flows clean distilled water I usually don’t handle him as he does not seem to enjoy it which is perfectly fine but I would appreciate some help

Last edited:
If you could fill this out we can help as best as we can

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I can't help ya too much, but I'm pretty sure people are going to advice you to get rid of the fountain asap, And post pics of the enclosure and yer cham.
Plus I'm sure @Beman would advice to to fill out chameleon form. There's people on here that will lead you in the right direction, sorry couldn't really help.

If you could fill this out we can help as best as we can

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Or @JoXie411, lol. Too funny

Or @JoXie411, lol. Too funny
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Panther, Male,3 years and 2 years in my care
  • Handling - I never handle him but he eats crickets off my hand regularly
  • Feeding - Crickets and mealworms on occasion ? I don’t usually count but I’d estimate between 40-45 a week
  • Supplements - I use zoo med repticalcuim
  • Watering - he has a fountain and a bowl of standing water and I’ve seen him drink from Both. he does not enjoy being misted but I mist the plants regularly
  • Fecal Description - his droppings are normal in coloration and regularity
  • History -he has mouth rot once before I used betadine to cure it and he has recovered since although a small scab remains stuck to his lip
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 4 foot tall by 2 foot by 2 foot screen cage
  • Lighting - reptisun 5.0 uvb and 75 watt bulb
  • Temperature - 70 degrees in other areas the basking spot is around 85-90
    • Humidity - 55-70% used with misting and humidifier
    • Plants - some small live plants on ground
    • Placement - in side of room where air circulation is best
    • Location - North Carolina
  • Current Problem - squinted and swollen eye

Last edited:
Chameleon Info:
  • Feeding - Crickets and mealworms on occasion ? I don’t usually count but I’d estimate between 40-45 a week
  • Watering - he has a fountain and a bowl of standing water and I’ve seen him drink from Both he does it enjoy being misted but I mist the plants regularly
  • History -he has mouth rot once before I used betadine to cure it and he has recovered since although a small scab remains stuck to his lip
Cage Info:
F2D84B49-08A6-4D08-9EF9-477F1BA516C7.jpeg
F3FA3BD5-2CE5-4141-90C6-71DFFC9A5D9A.jpeg
F3FA3BD5-2CE5-4141-90C6-71DFFC9A5D9A.jpeg
54EECA8F-DD48-4FAE-93AE-F8BEA9307FA1.jpeg
F2D84B49-08A6-4D08-9EF9-477F1BA516C7.jpeg

He needs a good multi vitamin with vitamin A every 2 weeks and D3 only every 2 weeks unless you keep him outdoors. I use Repashy Calcium plus. He could probably use a dose of just vitamin A to start. There is more but i have to get back to work others will chime in or I'll be back.

He needs a good multi vitamin with vitamin A every 2 weeks and D3 only every 2 weeks unless you keep him outdoors. I use Repashy Calcium plus. He could probably use a dose of just vitamin A to start. There is more but i have to get back to work others will chime in or I'll be back.
Thanks you for you’re time I appreciate it

The biggest red flag is the fountain/standing water. If that isn't the cause of the eye problem, then it will manifest into a different illness later on. He should only be allowed to drink from mist droplets and a dripper

The biggest red flag is the fountain/standing water. If that isn't the cause of the eye problem, then it will manifest into a different illness later on. He should only be allowed to drink from mist droplets and a dripper
I rarely see him drink most droplets even when they have been provided he still uses the other sources which I keep very clean I still continue use with a mister and the humidifier but the water spraying anywhere within his cage upset him I think at some point his previous owner may have squirted him with one too hard or something he seems to have a poor association with them

Chameleon Info:
  • Watering - he has a fountain and a bowl of standing water and I’ve seen him drink from Both. he does not enjoy being misted but I mist the plants regularly
Cage Info:

On closer inspection it looks like you're using a compact fluorescent for his UVB bulb. Compact bulbs are notorious for causing eye problems. Not only that, but they are unable to spread UVB in a way which is at all useful for a chameleon. You'll need to upgrade to a linear reptisun 5.0 or arcadia 6% ASAP. That bulb will lead to MBD

I rarely see him drink most droplets even when they have been provided I still continue use with a mister and the humidifier but the water spraying anywhere within his cage upset him I think at some point his previous owner may have squirted him with one too hard or something he seems to have a poor association with them

Chameleons hate everything. It is natural for them to avoid mist, and that's fine. However, you just don't see when he drinks droplets. They will wait until you are not around to drink. That fountain is a major source of bacteria, going straight into the body of your chameleon. Water fixtures are Chameleon 101 "Never, ever use"

Chameleon Info:
  • no mealworms they can cause impacting in chameleons try supers instead. Silkworms are great to
  • you need to add a multivitamin with vitam a Repashy has a good all in one
  • that fountain is a no go. They can grow bacteria witch is bad for chameleon. My chameleons hates being misted as well but he needs this done to clean out the eyes
Cage Info:
  • thAt looks like a compact bulb you need a t5 light
  • the eye problem sounds like a vitamin a problem. You will want to add one and want to mist your chameleon for at least 2 mins/3 times a day to get those eyes cleaned out
if I missed anything others can correct

On closer inspection it looks like you're using a compact fluorescent for his UVB bulb. Compact bulbs are notorious for causing eye problems. Not only that, but they are unable to spread UVB in a way which is at all useful for a chameleon. You'll need to upgrade to a linear reptisun 5.0 or arcadia 6% ASAP. That bulb will lead to MBD
Wow I had no idea The bulbs were such an issue I will look In to replacing that

Wow I had no idea The bulbs were such an issue I will look In to replacing that

It would also be useful to add a whole lot more foliage cover in there. (preferably with live plants). It's definitely too bare in there for a chameleon to feel secure and comfortable. More horizontal branches would be advisable as well

This would be my plan if he was my chameleon.
First aid
1) Get him a dose of vitamin A from a human gel cap, put a drop on the back of his favorite feeder.
2) give him a good long misting. I know he avoids it so do 15 seconds get him all wet wait a minute start misting again go for a few minutes try to get him to rinse his eye. If that isn't possible try a "shower"-Place a large plant in the tub, aim the shower head against the wall, and run the water so that only a fine mist reaches the chameleon. The water should be room temperature (not hot!). They may drink for up to 30 minutes. Make sure to supervise your chameleon at all times while using this method.
3) if he doesn't improve within 48 hours get him to the vet. Start looking for a good one now and try to get an appointment it can take several days to get in. He may have an infection in the eye on top of the deficiency or foreign body

Long term.
Get his supplement schedule on track. "Calcium and other vitamins are very important to your chameleon's health. Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. Many keepers successfully use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) at nearly every feeding, multivitamin once every 2 weeks, and calcium with D3 once every 2 weeks." Be sure your multi has preformed vitamin A.
He looks very fat it is time to cut back on his feeders by half but you can cut back a little at a time. As mentioned mealworms aren't quality food super worms are better but should still be fed sparingly.
He would also like the other age changes mentioned above.
If you have any questions or need a vet recommendation let us know.

Back
Top Bottom