Panther Chameleon Egg Box setup

crobinson617

My female panther chameleon is pregnant. She has been pregnant before but it was unsuccessful. I was hoping for advice this time around. This time I have a big plastic bin full of packed sand and heating it with heat wire wrapped around it that is hooked up to a thermostat. I believe one problem last time was the sand was to cold - I am attempting a heat gradient. What temp should I shoot for? Right now the sand around the outside of the bucket is about 76 degrees without adding the mercury vapor bulb yet.

Im not sure by what you mean the first time was unsuccesful, could you explain?

How old is your female and was she succesfuly bred with a male?

is there any way your cham can touch the heat wire wrapped around the bucket? if so id remove it as they get very hot to the touch and could burn your cham if she uses it to climb into the bucket.

The pair should be about 12 months old for breeding and in healthy condition.

For the female to lay sucessfuly with healthy eggs you should be feeding her a varied diet with a lot of calcium w/o d3 dusted on the food most of the time.

She should lay the eggs 20-40 days after copulation (breeding).
Though I have had a female lay on the 17th day of gravidity (17 days pregnant)
The temperatures in the cage should be normal, you dont need to heat up the egg laying bin, it isnt very necesary but some people like to do that.
The egg bin should have playsand or fine dirt (top soil) for her to dig and lay in, it also should be moist but not drenching wet and then compressed so that when she digs the tunnel will not collapse ontop of her.
I like to dig 2 holes for the female in the corner, with all my females they have used these predug holes and made a bit of extension on them and then layed the eggs in them.
Apparently they can dig a few "test holes" before choosing one to lay in, mine have never done this and usualy stuck to one hole and done the job within 1 day.
The egg laying bin should be fairly large and tall for her to dig and lay how she prefers (the dirt should be alteast 10")
When you know she is starting to dig and lay then give her privacy or she will not lay and die eggbound.

When you say it was "not succesful" do you mean that she was bred with the male and did not lay her eggs or she did not develope eggs or she laid eggs and those eggs did not do well?

Back
Top Bottom