Panther Chameleon Edema

Misschriss

Hello! I have my panther chameleon for a little bit over than 2 years and recently I started seeing a sack between his front legs.
I went to a vet and he did some tests and prescribed meds (Furosemide and marbofloxacin intramuscularly, decamethoxine oraly). So, there are 2 antibacterial and 1 to treat fluid build-up.
The diagnosis is inflammation of the larynx
Blood work came good as vet said: Calcium 2,59; phosphorus 1,28; uric acid 105; Creatine kinase 491,6; Aspartate aminotransferase 40; Alanine aminotransferase 54; Sodium 148,1; Potassium 3,6; Chloride 116.
Vet took a sample of edema fluids and found a little bit of bacteria in it: Diplococcus and Gram-negative bacteria.

I really wanted to get a second opinion on treatment and may be there is something else I can do for the chameleon.
Also, when the vet took blood chameleon's tail turned black on on side and this is bothering me, vet said it's ok and nothing to worry about, is it okay?

• Male panther chameleon, 2.5 years old, has been living with me for 2 years.
  • I handle my chameleon once/twice a week
  • Feeding - Feeding roaches, superworms, locusts, crickets every other day 3-4 insects. Feeders are always gut-loaded with carrots, lettus, sweet potatoes.
  • I used to rotate between zoo med repticalcium with D3 and without D3 every feeding, vitamins JBL Terravit - once a week. Now I don't give him any supplements for 10 days already, because I am worried that I overdosed him on supplements and also with all this meds I am giving him now it can be too much for his kidneys and liver.
  • I use a misting system twice a day for humidity and a dripping system as a source of drinking water. Dripping system is on twice a day for 1 hour long each time.I see my chameleon drinking almost everyday.
  • Feces look normal, brown on one end and white on the other. He has been tested for parasites and the results are fine.
Cage Info:
  • Cage is combo (front door and ceiling are mesh and other sides are glass) 60x60x140cm (23x23x55inches)
  • Lights are: 2 linear T8 Exotera tubes with 5% UVB are on 12 hours a day. I am planning on switching UVB lights to T5 5%
  • Temperature range is 23-32 C (73-89F) Night temp is 22C. I measure temps with infrared thermometer.
  • Humidity is 60-80 in the middle of a cage. It raises when dripping or misting systems are up. Measuring it with humidity measuring electronic device.
  • I am using both live and fake plants
  • Cage is located in the living room in a quiet place.The height of the enclosure is 163cm (64inches)
  • I am located in Russia

Chameleon is active and edema doesn't seem to bother him.

Attachments

• vul.jpg
    vul.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 138
  • vul2.jpg
    vul2.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 130
  • vul3.jpg
    vul3.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 125
Can you take a photo of the front half of the body and front legs especially please? I'm concerned about MBD.

Of course, I took some photos. Please, don't hesitate to tell me if you need more photos or info

Attachments

• vul4.jpg
    vul4.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 114
  • vul5.jpg
    vul5.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 103
  • vul6.jpg
    vul6.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 109
  • vul7.jpg
    vul7.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 107
  • vul8.jpg
    vul8.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 105
  • vul9.jpg
    vul9.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 106
RepCal D3+ 400,000 IU/kg
Flukers Reptacalcium 100,000 IU/lb
Exoterra 14,740 IU/lb
ZooMed ReptiCalcium 22,907 IU/kg
Mineral -indoor 2000ui per kg
Repashy calcium plus LoD 8,000 IU/lb

I dont have the time right now to convert kg to lbs, but just pretend that the 8,000 IU/lb is 20,000 ui/kg

So its not too much D3, other than you might be giving more than 2 doses per month.

RepCal D3+ 400,000 IU/kg
Flukers Reptacalcium 100,000 IU/lb
Exoterra 14,740 IU/lb
ZooMed ReptiCalcium 22,907 IU/kg
Mineral -indoor 2000ui per kg
Repashy calcium plus LoD 8,000 IU/lb

I dont have the time right now to convert kg to lbs, but just pretend that the 8,000 IU/lb is 20,000 ui/kg

So its not too much D3, other than you might be giving more than 2 doses per month.
I am so sorry, but I am not acquainted with international units. Did I understand you correctly, you are giving examples of how much calcium by different brands chameleon should take per month?

I am so sorry, but I am not acquainted with international units. Did I understand you correctly, you are giving examples of how much calcium by different brands chameleon should take per month?

No. That list is the amount of D3 in each calcium powder. So if you were using repcal, it would have 100 times the dose of D3 that stickytonguefarms mineral has. But your calcium +d has the normal recommended dosage.

Did you make some changes that might be helping the edema?
Yeah, first and for most, I give him meds and this should help to kill bacteria in edema.
Also, I stopped giving him any chemical supplements for 3 weeks. Lots of people say it can be provoked by supplements especially vitamin A.
I don't give any superworms to him anymore as they are nothig but fat.

Back
Top Bottom