Panther Chameleon eating vines.

zhuisky45

So my 4 month old panther chameleon won't stop biting my exo terra vines. I'll always see him just bite the vine and shake his head like he's trying to tear off a piece off. Should I be concerned? I can't seem to find any information on this. So hopefully you guys can save the day and tell me wether or not I have a problem on my hands thanks!

I don't really know what it means.. all I know is my panther did the same thing at around that age and I associated it with him being hungry? I only assume this because I would feed him right after and he would stop. He also may want to chow on some live plants(correct me if I'm wrong) so I would throw a ficus or umbrella plant in there for him!

Maybe i'll try upping the amount of food I give him and see if that might be the issue. They won't get sick from biting at it tho? New Panther Chameleon owner and every little thing I worry over haha.

This is pretty common. My male panther did the same thing but I don't see any evidence of it happening anymore. I don't think it is from being hungry; he had plenty of food at the time. I am guessing it is more to mark his territory and get out extra energy and aggression. Not entirely sure though.

According to this thread they are non-toxic but can cause impaction if large chunks are eaten:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/exo-terra-jungle-vines-safe-if-eaten-19156/

panthers at a young age have a tendency to bite things no body knows why, you will see things from vines, to rocks, branch stubs you name it. my guy was biting aggressively the rock platform of one of the perches i have for him that was his thing. people associate this as like child phases, teething, vitamin defeciencies but no one really knows why they do this behaviour. but its really common for panthers and dont think you have anything to worry about it'll stop one day.

this just got me thinking i had thought my guy stopped too and ive switched enclosures but everyday he chews/eats this one plant every morning, wondering if its still part of this routine and hes now 8 months old...

Good to know that I don't really have anything to worry about then from what you guys are telling me! I'll just treat it as him being goofy ha. Although i'll continue to watch him and make sure he isn't bitting off anything that might hurt him.

Back
Top Bottom