Panther Chameleon and newborn baby

Hi guys,

Thought this would be the best place to ask. We've had our amazing panther chameleon, Kaji for nearly 3 years now which makes him about 3. We live in a small house in the UK and he has been used to coming out as and when he likes. He's very friendly and has always been very colourful when out and about but normally quite dark or just green when he's in his cage. We now have a little baby boy, coming up 4 weeks old and on our last visit from the health visitor she said we should probably keep the chameleon I'm his cage now with littlen. She said there had been reports of lizards/snakes having salmonella bacteria and there had been a few accounts on the area over the past few years of babies been taken very ill (nearly dying) into hospital with the bacteria contracted from their pet reptiles. This has obviously scared the hell out of me and I wondered if any experts out there could either clear it up, or say otherwise. We've kept Kaji in his cage since but he's become very lethargic not going up to his basking spot or moving much and still staying a very dark colour. We've never seen him like this and it's horrible so just looking for some advice please lovely people.

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys,

Thought this would be the best place to ask. We've had our amazing panther chameleon, Kaji for nearly 3 years now which makes him about 3. We live in a small house in the UK and he has been used to coming out as and when he likes. He's very friendly and has always been very colourful when out and about but normally quite dark or just green when he's in his cage. We now have a little baby boy, coming up 4 weeks old and on our last visit from the health visitor she said we should probably keep the chameleon I'm his cage now with littlen. She said there had been reports of lizards/snakes having salmonella bacteria and there had been a few accounts on the area over the past few years of babies been taken very ill (nearly dying) into hospital with the bacteria contracted from their pet reptiles. This has obviously scared the hell out of me and I wondered if any experts out there could either clear it up, or say otherwise. We've kept Kaji in his cage since but he's become very lethargic not going up to his basking spot or moving much and still staying a very dark colour. We've never seen him like this and it's horrible so just looking for some advice please lovely people.

Thanks in advance.

While it is possible to contract Salmonella from any reptile, the risk is very low if you follow basic hygiene guidance. Basically, after handling him or cleaning his cage, wash your hands. Obviously you wouldn't let your little one pet him and then put his hands in his mouth. Just keep a bottle of hand sanitizer next to the cage and get in the habit of using it after handling. The reports of kids getting sick with Salmonella (which you can also get from eggs, chicken, and pet birds BTW) was due to them playing with pet aquatic turtles or putting the poor things in their mouth. Herps that spend most of their time wet or in water tend to have a slightly higher chance of carrying Salmonella.

While your health advisor was being cautious by telling you this, the risks and horror stories tend to be overblown which is a great disservice to pet owners and their animals. I have had reptile and amphibian pets (including turtles) ever since I was a child and never contracted Salmonella. The vast majority of pet owners never will.

Let me preface my comments with two things: 1) I am not a doctor, veterinarian, or biologist, and 2) I do not have children.

In my opinion, it's not a bad idea to minimize contact between babies and pets for a large number of reasons that include safety for your baby and safety for your chameleon. Reptiles and birds both can carry salmonella bacteria, and transfers to humans do occur. In very, very rare cases, it can cause serious illness or even death. Again, very rare. There are also a small number parasites which can make the jump from reptile pets to humans.

Chameleons are not "known offenders" in terms of carrying salmonella, but you should always wash your hands after handling any reptile (any animal). Just good hygiene. For that matter - babies have all sorts of nasty germs, all fecal related. Wash your hands before you touch your chameleon, too!

While the risk of transmission is extraordinarily low, why put your new baby at a risk that is almost entirely avoidable, especially so young when they are still developing immunity? Why expose your chameleon to the opportunity to be accidentally hurt or stressed by a curious baby?

For your chameleon, can you limit his free range to a suspended plant or vine system so he does not walk on the ground or encounter any surfaces that your baby does? When your baby starts to crawl around, you'll need to be on the look out for surprise droppings and bugs... honestly, nothing too different from what babies encounter on a daily basis of putting everything in their mouths.

It'll be fine. Just use common sense.
If all else fails, let your chameleon out and keep the baby in a bubble :)

I have a 9 month old and just got a veiled who isn't use to being around people or being handled but i take him out despite his rebellious hisses and then he's ok. i would not get rid of my chameleon if i were you. if it had been a cat, then the dr would have warned about toxoplasmosis or something else. there's always something. i would be more worried about why he's lethargic, staying dark colored.. he is presenting with stress. could he be ill? if you open the door does he come out and color up? i would just let him do his thing. just don't let him crawl on the baby or anything for the baby like a bouncer or any blankets you lay out for the baby don't let him touch it. but i see no issue here about keeping him. just tell your doc you've taken care of it and move on. i would continue to let him out i wouldn't want to lose him over this whole silly ordeal. hope you decide to keep him!

Back
Top Bottom