Panther Cham sleeping issue

Chalu

Hello! I have my panther cham on a good schedule 8:30am-8:30pm but I get home at 11pm days I work.. I notice sometimes when I turn the light on in my room he wakes up but stays relaxed.. almost like the illumination of the light woke him up. I use a dimmer light in my room so it doesn't bother him as much but I still see him awake sometimes looking around unless its pitch black...

I don't want to ruin his sleep every night because I work late.. and sometimes the light will stay on for my girlfriends son that's afraid of the dark..

Should I cover his enclosure with a blanket at night like a bird? or is he okay the way he reacts? Does this affect him in anyway?

Really would like to know.. relatively new cham owner

Attachments

• _20140703_161323.jpg
    _20140703_161323.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 86
I had this happen for me too. I wouldn't cover it because you still want airflow in the cage. I'd move the cage to a less busy are if possible.

I had this happen for me too. I wouldn't cover it because you still want airflow in the cage. I'd move the cage to a less busy are if possible.

I suppose i can try... but what If I couldn't move it? the area its in is probably the least busy as its gonna get.. other than my closet. is there a different solution?

When I was in college and had late night study sessions in my room I'd turn on a desktop lamp and turn off my room light and I'd put a blanket over the one side where light would be visible to him. You can try something like that but I don't know about covering the whole cage. Maybe someone else will chime in with their experience though.

When I was in college and had late night study sessions in my room I'd turn on a desktop lamp and turn off my room light and I'd put a blanket over the one side where light would be visible to him. You can try something like that but I don't know about covering the whole cage. Maybe someone else will chime in with their experience though.

you think covering up the sides but not the ventilation is good if I can make it work I'll do it. xD if someone else doesn't chime it it still was very helpful you gave me an idea. hopefully it'll work when I am home.. does the light really bug them that much?

Ohhh you have a glass terrarium don't you? If you do you, should be able to cover up areas of everything that air is not meant to flow through; top, front vent, possible seam between doors, etc. I was referring to screen cages, because we use screen cages for the ventilation so covering it would defeat the purpose haha.

As far as the light at night I just think of it as it'd irritate me and make me have problems later on, so most likely the same for chams. Also we don't use night lights for a reason.

Ohhh you have a glass terrarium don't you? If you do you, should be able to cover up areas that air is meant to flow through; top, front vent, possible seam between doors, etc. I was referring to screen cages, because we use screen cages for the ventilation so covering it would defeat the purpose haha.

As far as the light at night I just think of it as it'd irritate me and make me have problems later on, so most likely the same for chams. Also we don't use night lights for a reason.

Lol I should have been more specific. so are you saying I can just throw a blanket over call it a day and he will be okay?

Sorry bad grammar on my last post I edited for future people who read it, and if you want to re-read it too. You can cover the glass as there will be no air flow through it. But in my opinion you'd probably be best off leaving the top open and the vents open without being covered (as most air escapes through the top and enters through the bottom side wall vents). Unfortunately this may not solve the problem if the light in your room is arranged to blare through the top. I apologize for any confusion haha.

Sorry bad grammar on my last post I edited for future people who read it, and if you want to re-read it too. You can cover the glass as there will be no air flow through it. But in my opinion you'd probably be best off leaving the top open and the vents open without being covered (as most air escapes through the top and enters through the bottom side wall vents). Unfortunately this may not solve the problem if the light in your room is arranged to blare through the top. I apologize for any confusion haha.

Barely does the light come off the top.. but covering the sides should get him to sleep. I'll monitor it.. thanks a lot man been a big help.soon as I get home I'm covering it up!. if anyone else has more ideas that be cool too!

You can cover the cage. Been doing it for years. I have used blankets and thick sheets that do not let the light through. He will be fine. Edit: I did see you have glass and I was commenting on screen. You can still cover but just make sure not to cover where the air comes in if that is possible.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom