Panther cham not eating

The only thing that worries me is the eyes. I might have missed this but what did the vet say today and what did the bloodwork show?

The only thing that worries me is the eyes. I might have missed this but what did the vet say today and what did the bloodwork show?

that's the thing...the vet said i was to have results yesterday, but they keep brushing me off...i'm getting really pissed off with their service during an emergency. I understand it's the holidays and I understand that they have many pets that go there, but I paid for bloodwork and wellness and they keep saying to "call back" b/c the doctor is busy or whatever excuses they use...they said the lab didn't send the results back yesterday, but I will be very angry if they find it was an infection that can be cured! She thought it was cancer or liver problems, but I don't know for sure until someone at the Links Road Animal Clinic gives me some answers!!!

Picasso is hanging in there. He looks really bad but still grips my finger

Is he looking or acting any better since the begging of this thread?

no he looks worse and is weaker...for a while he was up and down but today he's pretty bad...

he's a bit darker than this picture now and a lot weaker. he excreted a brown fluid.

and the vet said they will call me back by noon when they close and have not called yet...it's past noon...

Attachments

• picasso_dec24.jpg
    picasso_dec24.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 130
ok so.....here's the update...Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates Christmas and Happy Holidays to the rest!
Picasso has made it through Christmas...although weak, I FINALLY got an answer later yesterday from the blood work.
He has kidney problems and is now dangerously anemic. I believe the uric acid level in his blood is very high also. The vet said a normal reptile can live with about 30 % iron level (humans should have about 40 - 50%), but Picasso's kidneys are not producing enough red blood cells and therefore his iron level is down to 10%. The vet said sometimes the kidneys just start to act up and have problems, we don't really know why in animals (because in humans kidney problems usually stem from high alcohol consumption).
I was very low in iron levels myself very recently, I take iron pills when I need them...should i be trying to give Picasso iron supplements (like a really small amt.)? I forgot to ask the vet this.
The vet just said keep him hydrated (even with gatorade) and force feed him a piece of watered down dog food kibble for nutrients. Other than that, his kidney will either fail or recover I guess. He assured me that I have not done anything wrong and that it may just be his time, if his kidneys take a turn for the worse. I have been giving him electrolytes in his water and using a needless syringe to make him drink with and I gave him a piece of dog food kibble (watered down and broken up) yesterday. He is now living in the bathroom where the humidity level is nice and high. I have a little stocking hung for him for Christmas. I have been nursing him and checking up on him through the whole Christmas dinner last night. If he makes it through until tomorrow, then he can go to the vet for more treatments. I guess this is the best time of year to hope for miracles!

Thanks again everyone for the support...we all love our colourful little guys!!!!

Well....i have bad news...
on the evening of Christmas Day, Picasso breathed his last breath...
:(

i want to share with you guys my favourite pics of him. I'm going to miss him...he finally gave up (after what i think is a long fight for chameleons, since his problem probably went undetected for a while)
He put up a good fight, but his iron levels just dropped way too low and i guess his kidneys shut down.
gone prematurely, just one month before his 4 year bday, but never forgotten...

i did not post his final picture, but if anyone would like to see it, for educational purposes, then I will post it. He was still on his branch with his head resting on his arm, will the other one dangled. His cheeks and stomach remained colourful and bright, while the rest of his body faded to black.

goodbye Picasso..sleep well...

Attachments

• Picasso_oneNhalfyrs.jpg
    Picasso_oneNhalfyrs.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 107
  • picasso_17months.jpg
    picasso_17months.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 102
I am so very sorry that he did not make it. You did all that you could. You both put up good fight. My heart goes out to you. He was such a beautiful boy! His memory will live on with you forever. Jann

I'm very sorry for your loss. He was so beautiful :(

Right before Christmas 2 yrs ago is when we put our dog Buster down and then our other dog Jubilee died a month later from heart failure on Martin Luther King day. So the holidays are always a sad time for me when it comes to pets. :(

thanks! out of curiosity, what did he look like to you? an ambanja or nosy be?
i never really knew his details...i just loved him and gave him a home

Back
Top Bottom