panther breeding

I asked the breeder where I got my chameleon what the bloodlines are and he told me he's ambilobe. Is that what I need to know or he should tell me like 1.6 1.4 or something?

Just for future reference. Buyers may want to know who the sire of your male is_______. And who sired the female_______. And the name of the breeder you bought from. If they are looking to breed also then they will want to look at the parents and get an idea what offspring will look like. But to answer your question you just need to know the locale. (ambilobe) Its just nice to show buyers that they will prob be getting a blue bar, red bar....

Alright I got ya. So if I want to bread this guy I should get another ambilobe but look at her dad to see how much blue he got right?

You got it bro. And if possible look at the females, male siblings out of the same clutch. The more you know about the bloodline the better.

I would wait until you're a lot more experienced with chameleons before you think about breeding any. I had my first chameleon for 3 years and 2 of the ones I have now I've had for 9 months. I read and do research about chameleons constantly and I don't feel like I'm experienced enough to even think about breeding them at this time. You're having trouble understanding what bloodlines are, which is pretty important for breeding. You've made a lot of posts about your chameleon having health issues. I would wait awhile, at least until you get his issues under control.

What i the guy just has that female or something because he just gets what I want you know. I can't tell him to get 5 so I can compare them. Not sure what to do there.

If your sure you want to do this. Since your in canada and your options are fewer than ours in the states. I would contact Cham nation they are a well known breeder. If you produce neonates you can use their name and bloodline in the industry to promote your clutch. People have heard of them and know that they produce healthy chams. So it would make prospective buyers more at ease.

Breeding is also about trial and error and not completely knowing what you're doing, but at least slightly knowing what you're doing. That's why it's 'risky'. So if someone like me wants to try breeding people shouldn't get their panties in a bundle like some people out there.

Chamster, I agree w/Sandra you dont know how diff this can be. I was extremely lucky that i had a vet that was awesome and bred chams also. He helped me and at that time i was a Cin member. Ardi Abate and i spent hrs talking about my concerns and worrys about my female trying to lay her 1 st clutch. Its not as simple as throwing two chams in a cage and watching do the deed. Find someone near you that has exp breeding chams it was the key to my early success. Good luck

This forum is wonderful. But i advise everyone who keeps herps to join their local Herp society. I know it was a lifesaver for me and most imp my animals.
You can meet some locals who can show you more than you could ever pick up online. jmo

Well if it's coming from TPM then I guess it is what it is. I found the bloodlines of my Cham today. Ambilobe is what the guy told me. So now I know I have to give him a visit and see either the brothers or the father of the female I need. Thanks a lot TPM.

The bloodline isn't the locale. The chameleon is an amibilobe(the locale.) Honestly, I wouldn't want to buy from a breeder who didn't want to read/research about breeding. Maybe if you put a LOT more effort into your chameleon right now and make sure he is healthy, THEN start thinking about breeding you would look more resposible and more trustworthy to buy from. Honestly, (I don't know if your perspective/priorities have changed) if you don't/didn't want to take your Cham to a vet because of the cost, how do you expect to pay for 30 or so babies that go throught thousands of crickets a week?

I'm not trying to bash or be mean, but I'm hoping you understand where I'm coming from.

Lol, calm down? I wasn't excited, I just didn't want you to think I was trying to be mean.

The bloodline isn't the locale. The chameleon is an amibilobe(the locale.) Honestly, I wouldn't want to buy from a breeder who didn't want to read/research about breeding. Maybe if you put a LOT more effort into your chameleon right now and make sure he is healthy, THEN start thinking about breeding you would look more resposible and more trustworthy to buy from. Honestly, (I don't know if your perspective/priorities have changed) if you don't/didn't want to take your Cham to a vet because of the cost, how do you expect to pay for 30 or so babies that go throught thousands of crickets a week?

I'm not trying to bash or be mean, but I'm hoping you understand where I'm coming from.

i 150% agree with wants shes saying, if i called you for a baby and i asked you what bloodline its from? and you said amibilobe, i would hang up.

Last edited:
I normaly don't post in threads like this, but what the heck....

I'm sorry to say this Chamster, but you are about to jump into a swimming pool filled with SHARKS and everyone here is warning you about this.
you say you are dedicated and in your 4th year, bla, bla...
and yet you still are willing to swim with the man eaters.
sorry, but your attitude doesn't sound too bright to me.

if you also think that reading 50 pages worth of info is bad, just wait till you have to feed 50 hungry babys.
(and that is if your female lives through it all...a female, I'm sure you will get atached to.)

now I understand that you don't realise what the turm "blood lines" means. so I'll try to explain it.
the male you have came from a father and mother. sire and dame.
do you at least know the names?
how about who the grand parents are on both sides?
now when buying a female, you will not only want to know the names of the parents, but also make sure that the said female is not related in any way towards the male.
THAT IS WHAT WE ARE SPEAKING ABOUT WHEN WE SAY "BLOOD LINES".

even if you never breed chams, I do hope that you change your mind and do all the reading that Sandra posted before you even buy a female.
to be honest, most of the info I learned about females came from breeding info in many of the links provided.

so in the end my friend, I know the water looks good, and you are already in your swimming trunks, but do you realy want to dive right into something that you might not be able to get out of? the sharks are waiting for you.

Harry

Last edited:
Maybe he doesn't know what bloodlines are because I think he just orders them whenever he needs chams. Maybe....

Back
Top Bottom