Panther Breeding Sex Ratios?

I'm at 8 months incubation period for my first batch of Ambanja eggs. I'm wondering a few questions while I figure out my budget.

What has everyone found to be the ratios for male to female for them?

How hard is it to sell females since lots of people want "pretty" chameleons (aka males)?

How many eggs do people not have hatch normally? And do people encourage cutting open eggs of struggling hatchlings?

Thank you I appreciate the response. I assume there's not too many with difficulties leaving the egg but I have heard of it. I've also heard of people successfully helping them out of the eggs if they look like they won't make it, that's why I asked.

He's the only one I ever had come out backwards. I did have a twin pip into the other "half" of the egg and not make it sadly.

As for the ratio of males to females I can't say there's a particular ratio.

I've also heard of people successfully helping them out of the eggs if they look like they won't make it, that's why I asked.

Yes, but there is a difference in "helping them" and cutting eggs open. Sometimes they don't really need help anyway. They may just be resting and absorbing the rest of the yolk sac. As a general rule, I just let nature take its course. The thing to remember is that in the wild, they have to not only have enough strength to get out of the shell, but dig their way out of the nest. The ones that can't won't go on to carry their genes to the next generation.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys.

I guess ratio is the wrong word, but has anyone noticed that they tend to get more of one gender consistently with them? I know it's all chance but I'm still curious.

Thanks for the info guys.

I guess ratio is the wrong word, but has anyone noticed that they tend to get more of one gender consistently with them? I know it's all chance but I'm still curious.

There is no consistency with gender, it's just the luck of the draw. Some clutches are female-heavy, some are male-heavy, and some are 50/50. You can never know, nor can you control it :)

Last edited:
Would lower or higher incubation temperatures affect the sexual outcomes as in some other reptiles?

Nick

Would lower or higher incubation temperatures affect the sexual outcomes as in some other reptiles?

Nick

The last book i read suggested it (higher temps producing males and lower female). However, it clearly stated more research needed to be done. It was also an older book (maybe 2009).

Thats absolutely strange. My findings are complete opposite with breeding chameleons and other lizards. The higher the temps i personally get more females but it could be from other variables.

Incubations temps set by a herpstat in a 6' beverage cooler, vermic substrate 1:1 water ratio approx 1" depth, tupperware containers (sandwich size).

***With chameleons i can not figure out a exact length of incubation. Each clutch just varies. Even eggs within the same clutch can hatch 1-21 days apart. I have not put a lot of effort in trying to control it, if you even can. I have some ideas to test in the future.

***Hatch times are approx along with ratios.

(Panthers)
72-74* Male heavy. 4/1 Hatch times 6-10 months.
78-80* Female heavy. Approx: 2-3/1 Hatch times 4-7 months.

Has anyone else played with temps and found this to be the same for them?

Last edited:
I have had the complete opposite with warmer temps. More males to females. Lot faster hatch time too. I have a batch at 76-78 right now and 5 1/2 months in. I will let you know on ratio.

Back
Top Bottom