Panther breeding questions

CoolCham

Hello, I have 2 male and female ambilobe panther chameleons, and was planning on breeding them in a couple months. I have done tons of research, and I have a few last questions questions.
1. For incubation temps, I would start with a month at 76, then 2 months at around 68, and back up to 76. Does this sound right?
2. I read that after breeding once, she will lay, and in a month or two she will lay again. Will she lay any other infertile clutches after that? I also read that reducing temps and amount of food she gets should stop her from laying too much.
3. How many times should I breed her a year? If she lays multiple clutches after breeding once, how many clutches should I try and get from her? I don't want to push her too hard...

Thanks!

Hopefully I can help a little. I'm sure someone with more experience will be able to give you some more tips as well.

1. Most recommend just keeping them in a closet at room temp. I have mine in a close that sits between 72-74 and I just leave them in it.

2. Depends on the chameleons. Usually yes, they will lay two clutches from one breeding. After those two she will most likely lay infertile or very low fertility clutches later on just like a normal female would that hasn't been breed. If you want her to stop laying at that point and you are not going to breed her again than yes reducing the temps, especially at night, and reducing her diet will help stop her from developing eggs.

3. To be safe 2-4 clutches a year. The more clutches she lays the harder it will be on her body and will reduce her overall life span.

Back
Top Bottom