Panther almost drowned :(

RedMountainHome

Established Member
One of my younger panthers was stuck in a container of water for somewhere up to 14 hours. I found it floating, luckily still alive, this morning. It seems to not be too much the worse for wear now, but I'm still worried for the little booger. Is there anything I should look out for, health wise, to make sure it's actually ok?

For some background, the chameleon's roughly 8 - 10 months old. I purchased it back in February as a runty "probably female", and while it's stayed small it's starting to look more like a male to me. It was stuck floating in a plastic container I use to serve it crickets that was somehow pushed under a misting nozzle. It's a small container and I'm amazed the chameleon couldn't get out on its own, but I've definitely learned that all containers MUST have drainage holes!

Here are a couple pics of the floater, a few hours post-floating. Sorry for the poor quality, it's VERY skittish since I handle my chams as little as possible. The metal squares are .5 inch for size reference.

Thanks, Jacksjill. I'll keep an eye out for signs of respiratory infection.

Daesie, I purchased that cham in late February with its sister. At the time the sister was only slightly larger but she kept growing normally, while the runt / diver just recently started putting on a bit of size. Here's a picture of the sister, then their two cages side by side. They're both in the upper left corner of their cages, so you can compare sizes pretty easily.

Also, cause he's so pretty, here are some pics of my "big" boy Toby. He's actually kind of a runt as well, fully grown at 8 inches long and about 4 years old. He looks kinda scrawny ATM cause he's gone on a hunger strike since his recent move to his outdoor summer-home. I put him near the female this afternoon to hopefully spark his appetite, and he certainly got fired up.

Thanks, Jacksjill. I'll keep an eye out for signs of respiratory infection.

Daesie, I purchased that cham in late February with its sister. At the time the sister was only slightly larger but she kept growing normally, while the runt / diver just recently started putting on a bit of size. Here's a picture of the sister, then their two cages side by side. They're both in the upper left corner of their cages, so you can compare sizes pretty easily.

View attachment 238138
View attachment 238139

Also, cause he's so pretty, here are some pics of my "big" boy Toby. He's actually kind of a runt as well, fully grown at 8 inches long and about 4 years old. He looks kinda scrawny ATM cause he's gone on a hunger strike since his recent move to his outdoor summer-home. I put him near the female this afternoon to hopefully spark his appetite, and he certainly got fired up.

View attachment 238140
View attachment 238141
Oh man they are beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom