panacure? how to give..

Muddyfeet

as I am between reptile vets at the moment.. did a fecal, and need to worm (first positive I had)
how do vets normally dispense panacure? powder? liquid? then how do they normally give it, force fed or inside a feeder? just curious..

I don't need dose, form.. but like some feedback as to kind of the "normal way" it is dispensed before I try a new vet.. thanks!!

I just gave mine orally with syringe. It was very small amount and liquidish. I gave it to him while he was chewing a treat.

Don't force feed, unless there is no other option. It only causes stress, and the pressure you sometimes have to apply to the jaws can cause skin irritation or worse.

The easiest way depends on the animal you have to treat. Some of my chameleons are used to drink from a syringe (without needle), so for them it's easy enough to make a liquid solution and let them drink it. Give small drops at a time to avoid spilling.

Another option I use fairly regularly is to (also) make a liquid solution and use a syringe with needle to inject it into a cricket (or other suitable prey item). Again, it's easier if the chameleon is used to shooting prey from your hand, since a live cricket won't behave normally when injected with a solution... Perhaps you'll find it more humane to use a dead cricket.

A good vet will usually use a liquid form and give it orally. It is a type of wormer with a huge margin for safety and only needs to be given a few times- if a vet is administering, I would think it would be a very rare vet who didn't just tickle the mouth open, insert syringe and give the dose.

i only use the liquid (100mg/ml). depending on the critter i'm giving it to i may squirt the small amount in the back of their throat; if it's a large animal i may tube them quickly to get it into the stomach or at least the esophagus. (i do use powder on dogs as it's commercially made to add to the food).

in general vets don't hide meds in treats and the like; we need to know for sure that it was ingested so we do do whatever is necessary to get it down the hatch. pet owners on the other hand may not be as comfortable, so they may do the hiding method.

I either do the direct squirt into the back of the throat or inject it into a roach and tong feed it, so I can watch the chameleon swallow it. Depends on the temperament of the individual. But usually making the cham gape and getting the syringe down to the back of the throat and back out again is a second and a half ordeal, so not too bad.

Back
Top Bottom