Paintings of Panther, Quadricornis and Dart frog!

I wish I could send a picture of my scarabs I used to have. But that picture sadly got erased a long time ago. But they were so beautiful. And very alive. I miss their feet. I loved the hooks on their feet for some reason. XD

What the heck do you mean, there's no such thing as too many beetle pictures :D:LOL:
MORE! I demand it, those are incredible, stunning, I see why you liked the paintings now, I'd love to see more, pm if you want but post here for sure.
I've painted a chalcosoma which was fun but wouldn't mind a go at a megasoma. Thanks for the amking photos, I'd love to see more, I'll see if I still have the picture of the mecs the collector here sent me. He had a super good collection of goliathus variations too.

Ok here are some photos of various Goliathus and a few jewel beetles and a grasshopper. Will add a few Mecynorrhina pics in the next post. ONLY because you requested!!!!! Most of these have not been edited at all and are just cell phone pics.

IMG_5591.JPG

IMG_5594.JPG

IMG_5595.JPG

IMG_5597.JPG

IMG_5598.JPG

IMG_5599.JPG

Calodema rubrimarginatum - 37mm.jpg

Calodema plebium PRS.jpg

Jewel Beetle - Calodema ribbei.jpg

Monachidium lunum Female.jpg

And a few more Mecynorrhina. Now you really need to post a link to your website so everyone can see it - just outstanding!!!

IMG_5143.JPG

IMG_5253.JPG

IMG_5251.JPG

IMG_5257.JPG

IMG_5252.JPG

IMG_5295.JPG

IMG_5246.JPG

IMG_5664.JPG

IMG_5258.JPG

Lol, I'm almost in tears here- They are so beautiful, Thought the second one was amazing- I don't even want to think of the cost! but then more and more amazing beetles- I'm gobsmacked- truly-
ahhh- there is nothing i love to paint more than beetles- love painting allsorts of things but beetles are the one, I want to paint alllll of them hehe, I'm busy painting to sell the medieval works at the moment but next time I have a break I'll have to get back to beetles for a while- That's totally made my evening-Thanks
Bet @Andee is drooling over them too(y)

Idk if drooling is the right word XD I think they are pretty yes... the thing is I am not one for what would it be.... specimens? Art of a specimen is one thing, but a live beetle that's where it's at. Seeing them in their daily routine. Maybe I am weird XD

Lol, I'm almost in tears here- They are so beautiful, Thought the second one was amazing- I don't even want to think of the cost! but then more and more amazing beetles- I'm gobsmacked- truly-
ahhh- there is nothing i love to paint more than beetles- love painting allsorts of things but beetles are the one, I want to paint alllll of them hehe, I'm busy painting to sell the medieval works at the moment but next time I have a break I'll have to get back to beetles for a while- That's totally made my evening-Thanks
Bet @Andee is drooling over them too(y)

You're very welcome! If you ever want photos in the future just let me know and I'll try to get the best quality I can!

Oh I don't know about Andee - I think she hates me more each time I post a pic of a dead bug - I think she likes live only and probably thinks I'm very cruel!!!!! I do believe that most threats to insects come from deforestation and habitat loss. Collecting them rarely has much impact and actually gives a reason to KEEP the forests!

Didn't see your post yet Andee when I posted this!!! And you're not weird! I do hope you know I'm just joking above.

Idk if drooling is the right word XD I think they are pretty yes... the thing is I am not one for what would it be.... specimens? Art of a specimen is one thing, but a live beetle that's where it's at. Seeing them in their daily routine. Maybe I am weird XD

Just wanted to mention Andee that if you ever want live beetles I can sometimes get Chrysina gloriosa, Chrysina beyeri, Chrysina lecontei and Dynastes granti among others. I've collected them many times here in the mountains.

Also the big beautiful lubber grasshopper Taeniopida eques and others.

Last edited:
Omg, I have had beyeri before, they are the scarab beetles I was talking about having before, they were such a love of my life. I need to learn how to make kinshi again though. I had issues raising the larvae of my original group passed certain stages because my kinshi started turning bad after a while (drove me insane when I had to scramble to make a new batch with growing babies). So I just need to do some research.... Do you think another group of Beyeri could be collected in fall? (I think my guys were strongly affected by rainfall and humidity increase?)

Omg, I have had beyeri before, they are the scarab beetles I was talking about having before, they were such a love of my life. I need to learn how to make kinshi again though. I had issues raising the larvae of my original group passed certain stages because my kinshi started turning bad after a while (drove me insane when I had to scramble to make a new batch with growing babies). So I just need to do some research.... Do you think another group of Beyeri could be collected in fall? (I think my guys were strongly affected by rainfall and humidity increase?)

They are so gorgeous with their bright green bodies and purple legs! And one of the biggest Chrysina too! Anyways they can only be collected during the monsoon times mainly in July. I believe their (larva) native food is rotting oak. That doesn't mean the kinshi won't work though! Have you had C. gloriosa? Like living jewels with green and silver/chrome stripes. I think they feed on pine. Even if it's not possible this year there's always next year!

I definitely want Beyeri, I have used to feed adults evergreen oak which I have growing all around me, and had kinshi made from rotting ever green oak and I think I innoculated it with shiitake mushroom spores... I don't remember it was years ago. I have no had Gloriosa yet, I wouldn't want to have any of the beetles before I was really well set up, so I am perfectly fine waiting until next year. I am always like this anymore it seems. XD I always want to be super prepared before taking on anything new.

IMG_4733.JPG
I definitely want Beyeri, I have used to feed adults evergreen oak which I have growing all around me, and had kinshi made from rotting ever green oak and I think I innoculated it with shiitake mushroom spores... I don't remember it was years ago. I have no had Gloriosa yet, I wouldn't want to have any of the beetles before I was really well set up, so I am perfectly fine waiting until next year. I am always like this anymore it seems. XD I always want to be super prepared before taking on anything new.

Ok that sounds good. I think it's great to be fully prepared. Just for fun here's a pic of a live beyeri and gloriosa on the collecting sheet. Of course this does not begin to do the colors justice especially on the beyeri as you know!!! I wouldn't post all this but I know the OP will not mind and will enjoy also.

For the OP here is a group of close relatives to the Chrysinas except these are from Australia.

Anoplostethus laetus.jpg

Last edited:
Ok. I finally got on board with the spiders, opened my mind a little and figured to each their own. But, what fresh hell is this with giant beetles on my computer screen???!!! How in the world am I supposed to go to sleep tonight? I'm going to feel a little tickle in the middle of the night from my cat's tail, and picture one of these behemoths, and just scream bloody murder!!!

In all seriousness though, I'd love to commission you to do a picture of my dearly departed Kosby (male panther). Please send me a message when you have a moment if this would interest you.

Sounds like you know a lot about kinshi but check out 'beetle breeding Daniel ambuehl' on YouTube he's made a new 20 min video, last in German, about how he makes kinshi and it's incredibly good, very informative and he's great.

Back
Top Bottom