Overhaulin' my DIY Cage

Jammonlee

So, after months and months of building and heavy expenses; everything from supplies to tools needed (I had nothing, no saw, no hammer, no anything!)

I've decided my DIY cage needs an overhaul and here is why:

• My humidity levels are at a constant low (less then 40% majority of the day)
  • I fear the chain link that my hanging plants are hanging on will cause problems in the future
  • drainage works properly only in certain areas (too much standing water)
  • one mist nozzle is useless, other gets all the attention. Will replace useless nozzle with a raindome
  • Hibiscus, Ficus, and Dracaena will not stay alive

What I plan to do, and would like heavy advice on is:
  1. PlexiGlass three sides of the cage (sides and back), replacing the current vinyl curtain
  2. install wooden dowels to hang plants from
  3. create a way to redirect water to a more drainage accesible area, or reposition misting nozzle(s)
  4. purchase single nozzle raindome
  5. replace 3 plants for Pothos, a more easy to care for hardy plant

With that list of things to do, I'm wondering,
Are there any cheap alternatives to plexiglass for the back and sides, for the size glass I need it looks like its going to put a nice dent in my bank account.
-HomeDepot sells Clear Polycarbonante sheets in 12"x24" sheets for 13$. I'd have to attach two of these sheets for one side, therefore needing 6 sheets (trimmed to fit). Whats the best way to combine two sheets of this into one?
Will having plexiglass on the sides and back, leaving the top, bottom and front of the cage open provide adequate air re-circulation?
Any ideas of something triangular shaped to redirect water runoff from the sides of the cage so it will bypass the flat wood? See Last Post for better description
Can a grow light replace a standard household basking light, to better help my plants grow/stay alive and provide necessary basking heat for my cham?

wow, plexiglass is so much more expensive in Canada... it was like 50 dollars a sheet. What I do in the winter is take clear garbage bags, and line the outskirts of my sides, and the back of my cage that I made is already polyurethane wood. I find it helps. However, the plexiglass caulked in would probably be more suitable.

As for humidity, not much more you can do other than purchasing a humidifier for the room or utilizing your misting system to my knowledge. Maybe try a few more bursts throughout the day?

well, most of what I see online is in the 200+$ range for the size I need, 21.5"x47.25" sides and 30.75"x47.25" back. Buying 6 of those smaller Lexan polycarbonate sheets would save me a lot more money then buying 3 of the bigger ones. Just need to combine two of them to make one big one and attach it to the sides and back.

Right now, I currently have clear vinyl shower curtains, cut to size, attached to the back and the right side in an attempt to raise humidity. It did raise it, about 5% and that is about all. The curtains aren't sealed completely around all four sides, only stapled to the wood. So I wanted to get a plexiglass sheet cut to perfect size to squeeze in there and have a 100% seal around all sides.

As for my humidity, I have my mister running multiple times a day, in the mornings it runs a long 10 minute mist, then 4 hours later a 5 minute mist, 4 hours later another 5 minute mist. The misting cycles raise my humidity to 47% in the basking area and above 50% in the middle of the cage, but in a 5 minute span it drops considerably below the levels I want. With this, I also have a humidifier, pumping cool mist in through the top of the cage, the humidifier is set to turn on every time the humidity drops below 40%, which is quite often, except for at night.

well, I went to HomeDepot, decided on larger acrylic sheeting rather then smaller polycarbonate sheeting. It was cheaper and didnt require my atempt at joining two pieces together to farm one large one, just have to trim to size.

Hoping I can put a screw through it without it cracking to easy. Maybe drill a small hole to begin, and then screw it in place, then I will be putting a silicone border around it to fully seal it in place.

Also bought 4, 48" wooden dowels. 2 will be for climbing and the other two will be plant hangers. Just need my new pothos plants and a better attempt at drainage and we should be ready to roll.

Now if i can just get Waldo out of his cage and let him free roam a plant while I clean his area up and install the new goods.

Yeah i would definetly recommend drilling a starter hole in the acrylic, it will definetly crack if you just start putting the screw in. How thick are the dowels you are using?

1/2" is the thickest I believe. I'm thinking i should have gone thicker for the plant hanging ones. I pretty much just put some pressure on them to see what kind of give they would have with weight and it didnt do much bending...probably not the best way to gauge strength..lol

accrylic is no joke, split my back piece in two trying to cut it with one of those scoring blades. Will have to go back to the store tomorrow to get another (23$ wasted)

i do have my sides up though and it looks nice.

Need to get working on the dowels no, not really sure the best way to position them since there arent many attachment points...

wow, okay, so this morning, after a 10 minute morning mist that would usually bump my humidity to about 47% with vinyl shower curtains on the side

now bumped my humidity to 95% with two sides of the cage having the acrylic sheets on the sides.

So....how can I reduce humidity? haha. it looks as though I wont need the back of the cage to be covered, not if my humidity is going to make a jump like this? This is insane...i even took two of the plants out.

Observe it for a day or two. It might jump to 95% but how quickly is it dropping? If it drops down to 60%, for example, in half an hour, then you're probably fine. What you don't want is excessive humidity ALL the time, then you'll get issues, but if it's drying down in a reasonable amount of time then I don't think you'll have problems.

be carefull of plexiglass because it will turn yellow after some time. Hvae u ever seen those fresh roasted nut containers on the checout counter of a local food store and its all yellow and old looking? Well thats why.

The only concern I might have with the plastic sides is your chameleon seeing his own reflection. Maybe those print fishtank backgrounds or something along those lines would prevent it. Idk, I just remember reading some people think it's this reason more so than the ventilation that makes glass tanks not well suited to chameleons.

that reflection was my big concern as well, that and the ventilation. I'm sure there is adequate ventilation, 3 open sides (top bottom and front).

I closely watched him yesterday as he was right next to a side, actually putting his feet to it hoping it was climbable. I could see his reflection, thinking oh Sh--, he's going to freak. He stood there next it and not once did he do much. It was a little noticeable, but to him i guess it wasn't enough.

I'm going to be taking humidity and temperature readings and recording them every hour of the day today. I still dont think its making much difference with humidity. Although, the beginning after the install, the humidity was huge, it dropped over a day and doesnt seem to increase much now..

Have you mounted the plexiglass yet? I used to keep snakes in a plexiglass enclosure, for ventillation I just drilled multiple holes in the plexi, creating more airflow on the sides.

I mounted the sides. 6 screws and a border of silicone around the edge. the Back peice split in two after i scored it and tried to break it into my measured length. So the back of the enclosure is still screen covered with a clear vinyl shower curtain.

Its not really plexi-glass, i guess. its acrylic sheeting, atleast I dont think its the same.

So, my attempt at a extreme gradual increase and decrease in temperature, as it would normally in the real environment, sounded good. With my basking light ramping up from 0% to 98% over a course of 2 1/2 hours, steady at 98% for 5 hours, then ramping down the same, youd think the temperature would have a slow increase and decrease in temperature rather then a quick pop from mid to low 70's to 84 degrees in a matter of minutes. Not so much how I wanted it to work, here are my findings:

Code:
7am - 35% RH
      76.7*F

8am - 38.2% RH
      81.7*F

9am - 36.1% RH
      83.9*F

10am - 51.4% RH
       76.6*F  (1 minute after a 5 minute mist.  Humidity dropped from 67% and temperarture rose 5*)

11am - 43.2% RH
       82.9*F

12pm - out of the house

1pm - out of the house

2pm - 36.2% RH
      82.7*F (1 minute after a 5 minute mist)

3pm - 55.2% RH
      76.3*F

4pm - 38.4% RH
      84.1*F

5pm - 35.2% RH
      84.8*F

6pm - 35.6% RH
      84.1*F

7pm - out of the house

8pm - 40.2% RH
      73.7*F

9pm - 41.4% RH
      77.5*F (this is my cage normal night temperature.  I've made plenty of attempts to drop it lower with no success)

Back
Top Bottom