Overgrown dracaena

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
I swear I have never seen nor imagined a dracaena grow so tall so fast! The one I have in Hammlet’s enclosure has shot way up and the leaves are starting to press against to top of his enclosure. I’d hate to have to take it out but fear I may have to. When I planted it the leafy head of a smaller one snapped off but it has grown back off to the side of the main stalk. Should I cut the top or just remove/replace it?
91754F61-30B2-44BF-AAD9-CC4ADA698905.jpeg

I actually had to chop off the top of the leaves on mine. I had a good 5-6 inches that was folded over against the screen. Turned out to be pointless because a week later Bane figured out he could climb this one to climb on the top screen panel so I ended up removing it completely since I could not relocate it lower. I would say if you can drop it down farther rather then cut the top.

I actually had to chop off the top of the leaves on mine. I had a good 5-6 inches that was folded over against the screen. Turned out to be pointless because a week later Bane figured out he could climb this one to climb on the top screen panel so I ended up removing it completely since I could not relocate it lower. I would say if you can drop it down farther rather then cut the top.
Wish I could drop it down, but it’s planted in (bioactive). ~sigh~ Knew I should have bought up a few of the hibiscus I recently got for Jack. Stella finally stopped eating her hibiscus and that one also is growing against the top. Much easier to prune down though...once I find where I put my clippers.

Wish I could drop it down, but it’s planted in (bioactive). ~sigh~ Knew I should have bought up a few of the hibiscus I recently got for Jack. Stella finally stopped eating her hibiscus and that one also is growing against the top. Much easier to prune down though...once I find where I put my clippers.
Welp maybe just give it a bit of a snip lol

Amother option is to replant it in a wider, more shallow pot. Like a bonsai pot.
It would lower the heoght of the plant and buy you a little more time .

Amother option is to replant it in a wider, more shallow pot. Like a bonsai pot.
It would lower the heoght of the plant and buy you a little more time .
I have bioactive enclosures, so it’s already planted as shallowly as possible. Not sure about air layering. Thinking I’ll just have to remove it and replace it with something that’s able to be pruned back.

Sorry, I've got 6 different species of dracaena, and that's not one of them (at least it doesn't look like any of them). The one in my enclosure is a mass cane, and it's starting to brush the top, but we've been told by cooperative extension that we can trim the individual leaves or the whole clump (and it will grow another).

Have you tried plant sites for your species? :)

Back
Top Bottom