Overall Health Of Female Piebald?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - She is a Piebald Veiled Chameleon Who is About 6-7 months old. I’ve had her for 4 days now.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I don’t handle her especially because of how stressed she is but sometimes when I open her cage to get her bowl she’ll climb on me.
  • Feeding - I am feeding her medium-large crickets. About 6-8, I feed her 2 hours after waking her up. The place I get them from gut loads them but I still give them the Flukers Cubes and Calcium things. I also dust them with no D3 Calcium.
  • Supplements - I give her zoo med Reptile Calcium with no d3. Daily. Calcium with D3 And Herpitive Vitamins on the weekend.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist her 6-7 times a day for about 20-30 seconds. I don’t see her drinking Because she hides but she drops her sacs at the bottom of her cage they are a light yellow whitE color.
  • Fecal Description - They are brown and yellow and white. She has never been tested for parasites.
  • History - The day I got her she escaped and was in my backyard for like 20-30 minutes on a plant. We had to snatch her back into her cage and she has been stressed since then. When she sleeps she is a bright nice green and sometimes when she’s on her walls she is a bright nice green.

• Cage Type - Zoo Med Medium 16”L x 16”H 30”W (I’m getting her the 24x 24x 48.
  • Lighting - I’m using Repti Sun T5 5.0UVB bulb (I’m getting her the bar) and Exo Terra 100W Daylight Basking Tropical Bulb. They have a schedule from 9-9.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? The overall temp Range is about 76at the bottom to around 83 towards the top and the basking is about 90. I use a themrorter to measure. The temp at night is 74
  • Humidity -I mist her. Humidity is 50-60% most of the time. I have moss around her cage to soak up the water and her coconut fiber substrate does that too. I have a humidity gage.
  • Plants - no live plants
  • Placement - The cage is in my room and I have a low ceiling fan. The cage is about 3ft off the ground so she is pretty high for the room.
  • Location - California, Sacramento
  • Do her eyes look sunken in? How can I make sure she’s drinking? D0C13D9A-06BC-4CA3-A65D-BC69684A3661.png

Attachments

• 5EE8AA8A-AC55-4609-9E63-8603952963A4.jpeg
    5EE8AA8A-AC55-4609-9E63-8603952963A4.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 9C191E84-5C6F-4CAE-8B61-653A8448E942.png
    9C191E84-5C6F-4CAE-8B61-653A8448E942.png
    781 KB · Views: 97
  • C75A4436-47AC-4BBA-83D3-6E66CF8CC48B.png
    C75A4436-47AC-4BBA-83D3-6E66CF8CC48B.png
    791.5 KB · Views: 103
  • AE7F69DE-7A9A-470B-A5BE-71C4F2A17400.png
    AE7F69DE-7A9A-470B-A5BE-71C4F2A17400.png
    936.7 KB · Views: 84
Feeding - I am feeding her medium-large crickets. About 6-8, I feed her 2 hours after waking her up. The place I get them from gut loads them but I still give them the Flukers Cubes and Calcium things. I also dust them with no D3 Calcium.
You will still need to gutload them. Good things to use are kale, collard green, escarole, watercress, papaya, butternut squash, etc. There is a list I will attach at the bottom. Fluckers cubes are rather useless. No d3 calcium is good for every feeding, except 4 a month (lets say Sundays) you alternate between a calcium with d3 and a multivitamin. You will also start to lower her food intake. By 9-10 months you will want her down to 3 or 4 large feeders 3 days a week. Food+heat=very large clutch size.

I mist her 6-7 times a day for about 20-30 seconds. I don’t see her drinking Because she hides but she drops her sacs at the bottom of her cage they are a light yellow whitE color
Ideally you will mist for 2-3 FULL minutes in the morning (before the heat bulb is turned on) and 2-3 FULL minutes in the evening (after heat bulb is turned off). Then I like to fog for my chameleons (at night ONLY), so I use a humidifier from 12-4am to bump up the humidity to as close to 100% as it will go. Veiled chameleons should be 30-50% humidity during the day, with a large spike at night.

They are brown and yellow and white
The yellow is dehydration. You want them to be mostly white. Misting for longer sessions, but fewer times a day will help.

I’m getting her the 24x 24x 48.
This is great. She will need this size soon. Also she needs a laybin in her enclosure right away. It should be about 12x9 and I use moist play sand. It needs to be moist enough to hold a tunnel, but not soaking wet.

I’m using Repti Sun T5 5.0UVB bulb (I’m getting her the bar) and Exo Terra 100W Daylight Basking Tropical Bulb. They have a schedule from 9-9.
Good. Definitely get a 24 inch t5 linear bar light. Thats what is recommended as the current lights do not provide enough uv for her.

The overall temp Range is about 76at the bottom to around 83 towards the top and the basking is about 90. I use a themrorter to measure. The temp at night is 74
90 is too high for a female (and really it is too high for a male too). You want her basking spot to be around 81-82 degrees. The warmer she is the larger her clutches will be and it will hinder her overall health. We want her to live a long and healthy life. ? Then her enclosure should be cooler down lower so she can escape the heat. And you want her nighttime temps to drop. A cooler night is healthy for them.

I mist her. Humidity is 50-60% most of the time. I have moss around her cage to soak up the water and her coconut fiber substrate does that too. I have a humidity gage
Be sure you are using digital hydrometer/thermometer as the analog ones are very unreliable.
You want a bare bottom enclosure. The substrate at the bottom will collect and breed bacteria, and it will be easier to clean as bare bottom.
As I previously noted, daytime humidity should be 30-50%. 60% is too high and can lead to a respiratory infection. Heat+humidity=RI

no live plants
For veileds we recommend ONLY live plants as they tend to nibble/snack on their foliage. Great plants to use are photos, schefflera, ficus, hibiscus, croton. I would ditch the fake plants, or hang them on the outside for added security. I also use vines and driftwood and manzanita branches for a lot of pathways. Chameleons like to hide in their plants so you want it to be like a forest, kind of densely planted.

And to answer your last question, i cant really tell through the screen if her eyes are sunken. But she looks pretty healthy from what i can tell. Try getting a picture of her with the screen door open.

Last edited:
You will still need to gutload them. Good things to use are kale, collard green, escarole, watercress, papaya, butternut squash, etc. There is a list I will attach at the bottom. Fluckers cubes are rather useless. No d3 calcium is good for every feeding, except 4 a month (lets say Sundays) you alternate between a calcium with d3 and a multivitamin. You will also start to lower her food intake. By 9-10 months you will want her down to 3 or 4 large feeders 3 days a week. Food+heat=very large clutch size.

Ideally you will mist for 2-3 FULL minutes in the morning (before the heat bulb is turned on) and 2-3 FULL minutes in the evening (after heat bulb is turned off). Then I like to fog for my chameleons (at night ONLY), so I use a humidifier from 12-4am to bump up the humidity to as close to 100% as it will go. Veiled chameleons should be 30-50% humidity during the day, with a large spike at night.

The yellow is dehydration. You want them to be mostly white. Misting for longer sessions, but fewer times a day will help.

This is great. She will need this size soon. Also she needs a laybin in her enclosure right away. It should be about 12x9 and I use moist play sand. It needs to be moist enough to hold a tunnel, but not soaking wet.

Good. Definitely get a 24 inch t5 linear bar light. Thats what is recommended as the current lights do not provide enough uv for her.

90 is too high for a female (and really it is too high for a male too). You want her basking spot to be around 81-82 degrees. The warmer she is the larger her clutches will be and it will hinder her overall health. We want her to live a long and healthy life. ? Then her enclosure should be cooler down lower so she can escape the heat. And you want her nighttime temps to drop. A cooler night is healthy for them.

Be sure you are using digital hydrometer/thermometer as the analog ones are very unreliable.
You want a bare bottom enclosure. The substrate at the bottom will collect and breed bacteria, and it will be easier to clean as bare bottom.
As I previously noted, daytime humidity should be 30-50%. 60% is too high and can lead to a respiratory infection. Heat+humidity=RI

For veileds we recommend ONLY live plants as they tend to nibble/snack on their foliage. Great plants to use are photos, schefflera, ficus, hibiscus, croton. I would ditch the fake plants, or hang them on the outside for added security. I also use vines and driftwood and manzanita branches for a lot of pathways. Chameleons like to hide in their plants so you want it to be like a forest, kind of densely planted.

And to answer your last question, i cant really tell through the screen if her eyes are sunken. But she looks pretty healthy from what i can tell. Try getting a picture of her with the screen door open.
Wow thank you so much it’s still a lot to learn for me I also made a post about my baby could you check that out I just don’t see him eat as much but wow I will do this stuff ASAP

Back
Top Bottom