Oven Fumes...

They are doing the same today, they seem okay. They both ate and drank some water. Mojo is learning a new trick that he needs to stop LOL
When I mist them in the morning I open their cages and spray the water with my water bottle (then fill up their drippers for all day). Today as I was misting around mojo opens his mouth and stuck out his tongue a little bit like he was asking for the water... which he WAS! I put the spray bottle next to his lips and lightly squirted.. it was the best moment ever :D It was the cutest thing to see him stick out his tongue a little and ask for the water! I give him water everyday so it's not like he's dying of thirst or anything lol!

I'm also a tad worried that he asked for the water like that because it may mean something inside might be happening you know?!

I do want to mention about the oven fumes and all that... it is a BRAND new stove so there was absolutely no smoke from food burning or anything like that so my boys never inhaled actual smoke. I burnt tin foil to the bottom of my brand new stove (damnit!) and someone told me to try the self clean tool. That's why I did it. I literally just bought the stove less than a month ago. I know there still chemicals and things that come out but at least no smoke!

PTFE (Teflon and many other trade names) doesn't smoke when it off gasses.

Just keep your eyes on your chameleons. I don't know if anything in your oven had PTFE coating, but a lot of things do that you wouldn't imagine have it. All my dire warnings might be for nothing because there wasn't anything dangerous that was released into the air. Smell does not always equate to toxic fumes, but better safe than sorry.

Mojo is learning a new trick that he needs to stop LOL

Today as I was misting around mojo opens his mouth and stuck out his tongue a little bit like he was asking for the water... which he WAS!

This is a trick I LOVED teaching my chams. To know that they are getting some water directly every day and will take it from me is priceless. Especially for melleri who tend to drink slowly for a long long time....I don't have to stand there forever spritzing foliage hoping they'll make up their minds to start drinking before I have to go do something else such as leave for work (just to earn the money to feel the ungrateful little lizards).

Squirt seems to be doing wonderfully but I think I need to take Mojo to the vet today or tomorrow :( he is dark and is sleeping right now which he should be... it's 10am. I'm super sad right now :(

Here he is - I woke him up taking the photo...

Attachments

• 20141220_095732.jpg
    20141220_095732.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 135
This was him just yesterday!! He got mad and yelled at me towards the end... told me to put that camera down!! lol

Attachments

• 20141219_063505.jpg
    20141219_063505.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 20141219_063537.jpg
    20141219_063537.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 20141219_063520.jpg
    20141219_063520.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 132
The good news in all of this is I have the next two weeks off work so I'll be here for anything that may happen :) I will be watching them both very closely!

I really think you should be past the worse of it. But if you feel you need a vet, then you do. None of us can see your chams or know them like you do. We are here to support what ever you think is right.

I think I may be in the clear :) I have noticed Mojo has found a tiiiny little spot in his cage where it doesn't cover and he can see into Squirt's cage! I had no idea and that will be fixed today! Maybe that is why Mojo has been down at the bottom of his cage looking a tad dark. He is trying to find Squirt when he roams his cage. I will update again soon after I watch Mojo's behavior after fixing that one spot. Thanks everyone!!

Mojo seems really good today :) he hasn't been to the bottom of his cage since yesterday after I fixed the hole. What a little stinker.... he would rather stress himself out :rolleyes: He has been just roaming around and hanging out up top mainly which is nice to see. He only ate one worm this morning and nothing yesterday so I need to keep my eye on that but he just may not be hungry.

I did find a really awesome new vet through this website (not sure if I mentioned that above) and I have an appointment for Mojo on Monday with someone who really knows chameleons. The vet's assistant who I spoke with owns a couple chameleons so I am feeling so good about finding them. The last vet I was going to didn't seem to know much about chameleons and I think I may have lost my Jackson sooner than I should have but I'm happy I found someone knowledgeable up here in Alaska!

What a wonderful Cham keeper you are! You and your chams are going to do great.

Have a merry Christmas with your chams!

Thank you Laurie and everyone :) they really are my babies (since I won't be having any of my own human babies) and they mean everything to me! :D

Mojo had his vet appt on Monday and had blood work done. He is just fine :D Everything came back normal expects his vitamin A was just a tad under normal levels. I do give them multi vitamin but I may need to increase their intake just a little since they really don't get a whole lot of natural sunlight right now. He still doesn't seem to be interested in eating much right now, maybe 1 or 2 bugs although his poops seems big... yesterday was like :eek: and I don't know how lol not to mention he did it RIGHT after he started free ranging and did it right on my floor! He asked to come out, he was pacing back and forth asking me and the second he came out he pooped. What a butt head lol!

I actually pushed his heat light back a little bit and he seems to be up top a little more although in the mornings he likes being on a low dowel. When he is down there sometimes(mainly just in the morning I've seen) he has his left eye closed, and only for a couple minutes. I told the vet about that and she said maybe the heat light may be too close and hurting his eyes. The other reason I pushed the light back. I saw him do it again this morning so I just don't know why he's doing that. He doesn't have an eye issue from what the vet and I can see so I'm going to just have to keep my eye on.. his eye lol

I just wanted to give you an update :)

Here is was at the vet showing off :)

The second one was after he got his little butt poked to get blood. I had never seen his eyes sunken in like that before. It broke my heart but also made me giggle a few times.

Attachments

• Mojo 12-29-14.jpg
    Mojo 12-29-14.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Mojo 12-29-14(2).jpg
    Mojo 12-29-14(2).jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 109
I think his lack of vitamin A is a little more of an issue than the vet was leading on. She said i was slightly off and nothing to worry about but after reading around on here it seems like vitamin A deficiency will leads to eye problems. Mojo only wants to keep on eye open sometimes and still tends to sleep during the day. Is there anyway to boost his vitamin A quickly? I did put his multi vitamin supplement on his foo today but is there anyway to get a boost of it in him? I think I'm going to call the vet back tomorrow.

I'm going to be getting some vitamin A supplements from the vet today :) better safe than trying to do it myself with human vitamins. I don't want to overdose my baby!

Do you think that I should get 10.0 or 5.0 UVB tube bulbs? I am thinking because they don't get hardly any sun that I should get 10.0... I'm just going to buy new ones today and going back and forth about it.

Back
Top Bottom