Outside questions... Can't think of a fitting title

BenjiTheCham

Established Member
I heard that it can be good to have a place for your cham to be outside as it gives them a new place to explore and gives them natural light. Anyways, I wanted to try this with my cham (as long as he permits it. I'm getting him tomorrow and i'm so excited). The first place that came to mind would be my vegetable garden. But I wanted to know if their are plants that could be dangerous if consumed inside of it.

For an idea of my plants, I have Zucchini, Tomato, bell peppers, habenero peppers ( even though i'm sure those would be a bad idea), cucumbers, sugar snap peas, chives, and a few others. I was thinking of putting him on the trellis with the cucumber and peas, but I'm not sure he would be able to climb it well as I got a new trellis this year that is thin metal instead of the wood i had before. The trellis would be nice for him because we get bees around the cucumbers because of their flowers. Thinking as I type, I guess, would the wild bees be bad? As far as I know I don't think my neighbors spray, but could they get pesticides from flowers??

Does anyone do anything similar, I have a small tree in my front yard (bigleaf magnolia) but it is still too big and I fear he could get up too high.

I guess I'm thinking as I type again, but I have a family of falcons living in the tree next to my house... I might be too paranoid to put him outside.. I'll take opinions anyways

What kind of chameleon are you getting? If it’s a panther, I wouldn’t worry about them eating the vegetation as much. My guy is 5 months and he hasn’t even tried to eat a leave or anything. As for the bees, I’m not sure if your chameleon would try to eat them. Gatsby loves eating all flying things (only flys so far).

Tomatoes/tomato leaves are toxic to chameleons so I'd keep him far away from those.

Would not be surprised if he tried to grab a bee snack :)

Here's a good video about taking a cham outside:

Tomatoes/tomato leaves are toxic to chameleons so I'd keep him far away from those.

That’s true, I was just thinking with the tomato’s, if he’s a smaller chameleon, they’ll probably be too big and he wouldn’t even try to go for it. That is unless they’re smaller or grape tomatoes or something. Idk... I don’t know anything about tomatoes so maybe I’ll just shut up ? ?

I heard that it can be good to have a place for your cham to be outside as it gives them a new place to explore and gives them natural light. Anyways, I wanted to try this with my cham (as long as he permits it. I'm getting him tomorrow and i'm so excited). The first place that came to mind would be my vegetable garden. But I wanted to know if their are plants that could be dangerous if consumed inside of it.

For an idea of my plants, I have Zucchini, Tomato, bell peppers, habenero peppers ( even though i'm sure those would be a bad idea), cucumbers, sugar snap peas, chives, and a few others. I was thinking of putting him on the trellis with the cucumber and peas, but I'm not sure he would be able to climb it well as I got a new trellis this year that is thin metal instead of the wood i had before. The trellis would be nice for him because we get bees around the cucumbers because of their flowers. Thinking as I type, I guess, would the wild bees be bad? As far as I know I don't think my neighbors spray, but could they get pesticides from flowers??

Does anyone do anything similar, I have a small tree in my front yard (bigleaf magnolia) but it is still too big and I fear he could get up too high.

I guess I'm thinking as I type again, but I have a family of falcons living in the tree next to my house... I might be too paranoid to put him outside.. I'll take opinions anyways
Watch the falcons. They usually are feeding on other birds but will take a chameleon with no problem. Hawks will be more dangerous to chameleons as they are ground hunters.

Last edited:
What kind of chameleon are you getting? If it’s a panther, I wouldn’t worry about them eating the vegetation as much. My guy is 5 months and he hasn’t even tried to eat a leave or anything. As for the bees, I’m not sure if your chameleon would try to eat them. Gatsby loves eating all flying things (only flys so far).
Hi, thanks. I’m getting a veiled so I do have to worry about the plants lol. From what I’ve read, chams eat bees in the wild and the pollen is beneficial to them.

Thanks, I’ll keep him away from the tomatoes. I thought I heard that they are toxic.

Watch the falcons. They usually are feeding on other birds but will take a chameleon with no problem. Hawks will be more dangerous to chameleons as they are ground hunters.

Yeah, when I take him out I’ll keep a close eye on him. They become very active during the day and I always hear them or see them perching in one of my trees. I doubt they’ll try to take him while I’m nearby so I’ll stay without a few feet, even though I would anyways, just an extra reason to. I also see hawks and eagles occasionally around my house, but none live in my trees as far as I know.

You could have him on a plant next to a window so he can get sunlight while staying inside.
Where are you getting him?

Yeah, UVB doesn’t penetrate glass, but that’s already been discussed.

As for where I’m getting him.. I’m getting him from a reptile store near my house. Twin Cities Reptiles if you’re interested at all

Also any wild tomato (horn) worms that are probably gut loaded with the tomato plants they're on.

I don't know where you live, but I have foxes, skunks, coyote, cats, numerous raptors, raccoons, opossums, and probably a few I'm not recalling in my backyard. Some are (generally) nocturnal, but we also have rabies, so...

Best option, IMO is an outdoor enclosure like Beman built, or similar.
My Outdoor Enclosure Build

Also any wild tomato (horn) worms that are probably gut loaded with the tomato plants they're on.

I don't know where you live, but I have foxes, skunks, coyote, cats, numerous raptors, raccoons, opossums, and probably a few I'm not recalling in my backyard. Some are (generally) nocturnal, but we also have rabies, so...

Best option, IMO is an outdoor enclosure like Beman built, or similar.
My Outdoor Enclosure Build
Yeah, I am thinking this out more now. I in a pretty populated area, but none of my neighbors have fences and well all have decent sized yards (not huge but now small like some of the one's you'll see closer to a big city) so it's just a big open space, so animals love to hang out back their. Only bunnies and squirrels for the most part.. But their is the occasional fox and the falcons and hawks that I mentioned earlier. I'll just stay next to him while I go outside. I'll keep looking for better spots for the time being and I'll look into an outdoor enclosure :)

Tomato plants aren't THAT toxic. The ripe fruit itself wouldn't hurt anything it's the green leaves. It wouldn't be a death sentence. They are members of the nightshade though so if you have veiled probably a good idea to keep them away. Veileds do eat toxic vegetation quite frequently without issue, but I'd stay on the safe side there.

Yeah, I am thinking this out more now. I in a pretty populated area, but none of my neighbors have fences and well all have decent sized yards (not huge but now small like some of the one's you'll see closer to a big city) so it's just a big open space, so animals love to hang out back their. Only bunnies and squirrels for the most part.. But their is the occasional fox and the falcons and hawks that I mentioned earlier. I'll just stay next to him while I go outside. I'll keep looking for better spots for the time being and I'll look into an outdoor enclosure :)
We have all the rodents as well—rabbits, groundhogs, squirrels, chipmunks, & more, not to mention the moles & voles, but I left those out as I don't think they'd be as likely to go after a chameleon, BICBW.

Before we moved where we are now, we lived in an older part of a fairly large northern city. Postage stamp sized lots, fences on 3 sides, 10-12 ft between houses... Yet we still had a garden in the back yard. (Same place with the enormous mulberry tree). We got up one morning to find an odd trio—a raccoon, opossum, & skunk—traveling together.

Especially odd because it was daytime, and all three are more typically nocturnal, yet they didn't seem sick in any way. We just watched as they moved through our yard, then the next, etc. until we lost track of them. Just passin' through, I guess. :LOL:

We have all the rodents as well—rabbits, groundhogs, squirrels, chipmunks, & more, not to mention the moles & voles, but I left those out as I don't think they'd be as likely to go after a chameleon, BICBW.

Before we moved where we are now, we lived in an older part of a fairly large northern city. Postage stamp sized lots, fences on 3 sides, 10-12 ft between houses... Yet we still had a garden in the back yard. (Same place with the enormous mulberry tree). We got up one morning to find an odd trio—a raccoon, opossum, & skunk—traveling together.

Especially odd because it was daytime, and all three are more typically nocturnal, yet they didn't seem sick in any way. We just watched as they moved through our yard, then the next, etc. until we lost track of them. Just passin' through, I guess. :LOL:
A raccoon,opossum,& skunk walk into a bar-----just kidding? must have been a funny sight and odd.

A raccoon,opossum,& skunk walk into a bar-----just kidding? must have been a funny sight and odd.
It was both. We'd never seen nor heard of those critters being "pals" but they were definitely together. They all wandered into our yard together, and were together when they left, and stayed together as they went from yard to yard down the line.... Always within 10 ft. or so of each other. One of the weirdest things we'd seen before or since. ?

Back
Top Bottom