Outside plants?

For humidity you can use a shower curtain and wrap it around the cage minus the door. There's jasmine, umbrella tree, ficus, hibiscus and a few others that you can put in there. :)

Many people use random sticks they have found outside. Generally avoid sticks with mold or fungus growth, sticks that are rotting, sticks with sap, sticks with sharp edges, and any thing with oily toxic wood.

Many people also feel it is a good idea to sterilize the branches. I personally boil for 20 minutes, some bake in the oven, steam, soak in vinegar, chlorox, etc...

Sterilizing outdoor items is tricky and there are many different ways to do it, and more than a few here don't do it at all.

As far as humidity, lots of live plants, covering 2 to 3 sides with some form of barrier both work. There are literally hundreds of in depth discussions on the subject here, I suggest doing a search.

I use branches straight from my tree. It is a huge Rosewood.. I just check for bugs, sap, etc and then just stick them in the cage. You could wash with soapy water and let dry incase you are worried about pesticide exposure. I have never baked a single a branch. I think that is total overkill. Jmo

I use branches straight from my tree. It is a huge Rosewood.. I just check for bugs, sap, etc and then just stick them in the cage. You could wash with soapy water and let dry incase you are worried about pesticide exposure. I have never baked a single a branch. I think that is total overkill. Jmo

I wouldn't personally use soap on wood due to the residues it will leave and wood will soak it up and leech it out slowly every time you mist for awhile. If your using a non toxic soap like the dawn dish soap used at oil spills to clean marine life, you should still be okay. A lot of soaps are fairly toxic though so be careful.

Sterilizing with baking and such has its place. In my area there are local lizards that may have left a reptile pathogen, maybe mites, mold or fungus spores you don't want in your house, etc etc. It isn't always necessary, but then neither is a motorcycle helmet. I'm the kinda guy that always wears a helmet and would even if wasn't the law.

Can I put sticks from the outside in the cage? What is the proper way of cleaning them?

I believe most people use sticks from outside. Carol and DanSB both have good logical points. Going through and bleaching, baking, boiling, etc., might be an over kill. I live in a very dry climate, so I do just like Carol does and maybe give them a good rinse before using them.

One serious factor to think about, Parasites. That last thing you want is your cham to get a parasite issue. So I would recommend that if you're in a very humid or wet climate, to add some heat to your sticks to kill off any potential parasites. If you're in a dry climate, just give them a rinse and they should be fine.

Also how do you keep humidity up in a screen cage? :confused:

One easy solution to this is an Ultrasonic Humidifier. You can purchase them at Wallgreens. They are almost silent and spit out a very nice/cool fog. You can easily rig them up with PVC pipe to direct the fog where you want it to go.

I wouldn't personally use soap on wood due to the residues it will leave and wood will soak it up and leech it out slowly every time you mist for awhile. If your using a non toxic soap like the dawn dish soap used at oil spills to clean marine life, you should still be okay. A lot of soaps are fairly toxic though so be careful.

Sterilizing with baking and such has its place. In my area there are local lizards that may have left a reptile pathogen, maybe mites, mold or fungus spores you don't want in your house, etc etc. It isn't always necessary, but then neither is a motorcycle helmet. I'm the kinda guy that always wears a helmet and would even if wasn't the law.

Back
Top Bottom