Outside insects

OrangeCrush

New Member
Hey everyone I am a little bit concerned this morning. I usually try to take TRex outside in the morning a few times a week before it gets to hot out. But this morning I placed him on the hibiscus like usual but I noticed that he ate like two bugs of some kind I don't know. It looked like he might have gotten a a fly or a Nat or something. I am not too sure what he got. But I was wondering is it ok that he ate an outside bug? I don't want him too eat outside bug and I don't plan on it but it's not like I can tell him not too hahaha. But I just want to hear some thoughts if anyone else has had this problem?
 

Melina

New Member
I never had my cham eat whilst outside - she seemed genuinely petrified of anything flying!

I guess the main concern is that they don't eat anything that may have been in contact with pesticides etc which you'll never been 100% sure of.....
 

OrangeCrush

New Member
Yea I know I was pretty concern and I was outside sitting next to him. I will make sure to try and feed him first before I take him out maybe he won't want to eat. But it seems like he is always hungry.
 

Symbiot

New Member
He should be ok. For the most part chameleons can distinguish what's safe or not safe for them to eat. As long as the bugs had not been in contact with pesticides he'll be fine. Another thing wild bugs could possibly have is parasites but with only two bugs eaten I wouldn't worry about it.
 

Solid Snake

Avid Member
Ive had this problem free ranging with moths, there seems to be somthing about them, that she will go through great trouble to get to them too...
 

DavidBuchan

New Member
A couple of outside insects who stray too near the outside enclosures is so rarely a problem that you might as well think of it as just a free snack.
Not good for every week, but accidents happen, and are very rarely serious if the basics are all right......:)
 

Texas Panther Man

New Member
I'd say 99.99% of insects that have been subjected to pesticides will die in fairly short order. So as far as that goes I wouldnt be too worried. Same goes with parasites. Ive fed my crew wc grasshopers for yrs without issues also wc katydids and moths. The only thing that worries me is wild lizards getting to close to my crews outside cages. I'd be more wary of the wild green anoles than any wild bug they zap.
 

Monzon

Established Member
I am not saying "wild insects are 100% safe." But.... remember that chameleons are insect specialists. My adults eat just about every crazy looking wild insect I put into their enclosure. The way that they catch a grasshopper is different than the way they catch a yellow jacket (they love both). They seem to have a way of quickly chomp, chomp, chomping a yellow jacket that keeps them from being stung. I am not encouraging other keepers to do as I do, I am just saying that a sweep net can be a really nice addition to your husbandry. Some known problems are lightning bugs, and blister beetles. Google those to get a good identification. Some butterflys also can have concentrated plant poisons in them but it is unclear if these are dangerous to feed. I would say that many of the insects that shouldn't be eaten also taste bad and are spit out quickly. I have seen this with my juveniles that are still "learning" as well as with my adults. As for pesticides: I just don't think this is as big a problem as people fear. Insects exposed to pesticides generally die or are incapacitated pretty quickly. My animals seem to thrive on sweep net insects, but I know that not everyone is comfortable with that. Mainly, I'm saying that the good seems to outweigh the risks in my situation. And for me, the sweep net adds another component of interest to my husbandry efforts.
 

seanUTD

New Member
They are sight predators with no killswitch, especially younger chams who's yes are twice the size of their stomachs... As Panther Man said... Pesticides job is to KILL insects... Therefore I'm pretty confident that if it's alive.... It's probably okay... Just follow the rule of thumb, colorful probably equals poisonous, no ladybugs or light bugs they're toxic, and no spiders unless your sure of what it is (I just plain don't do spiders just to be safe)... But unless you screen his enclosure, heat and movement will trigger their reflexes and they will attack any bug they can... It's just nature
 
Top Bottom