Outside enclosure

I'm all for it. Im in northern Indiana and I used to keep my veiled outside June,July, August. It is good for a number of reasons. Respiratory health, natural sun, better activity(exercise). Natural rain water to drink from. And on and on and on ..lol

Just gotta make sure raccoons, opossum, and snakes and such can't get in and have to have lots of shaded areas to run to to get out of sun. I also had this wooden shelf I put in outside enclosure for him to get under when it downpours. He actually used it

Oh and if you or neighbors fertilize your lawn it might not be a good idea. Risk of insects carrying it back to cham and making him sick.

just make sure the temps dont go above 85 and below 60 and it should be good, make sure its also well planted to create shelter/ shade

Just to be clear- There are a lot of breeders and Panther owners out here. I just don't know if they have enclosures to maintain the temps. I knew a guy name Bruce many years ago that was a breeder (might still be), his were outside but in a small green house so he could control the "too hot or too cold temps".

Little extra info- If they get too hot, they can die from the heat and if it gets too cold, they can catch pneumonia and other issues. I was hoping a Panter person that has worked in the CA weather, chimed in.

All that being said, be safe with Thatchers recommendations (sometimes we need to know what happens if we work outside the parameters for it to have meaning) (y)

Just to be clear- There are a lot of breeders and Panther owners out here. I just don't know if they have enclosures to maintain the temps. I knew a guy name Bruce many years ago that was a breeder (might still be), his were outside but in a small green house so he could control the "too hot or too cold temps".

Little extra info- If they get too hot, they can die from the heat and if it gets too cold, they can catch pneumonia and other issues. I was hoping a Panter person that has worked in the CA weather, chimed in.

All that being said, be safe with Thatchers recommendations (sometimes we need to know what happens if we work outside the parameters for it to have meaning) (y)
Would it be worth him testing the area outside for heat during the day/night at different times for a few days to make get a census of what the conditions will be?
Im still learning myself, but thought it maybe be worth gathering as much info on the area just incase?

Would it be worth him testing the area outside for heat during the day/night at different times for a few days to make get a census of what the conditions will be?
Im still learning myself, but thought it maybe be worth gathering as much info on the area just incase?
That’s a really good idea! He should do that.

what’s your guys opinion on keeping your Chams outside to live ?
Southern California near Orange County. I was thinking panther chameleon. Since I already have one.
IIRC, Bill Strand has been keeping chams in outdoor enclosures in Orange Cty. for some time.
I don't recall which species specifically.

Isn't there a population of invasive Jackson's chameleons in/near Orange? :unsure:

Local climate/weather data is available online.

You'd be amazed on what very dense foliage can do for your cham in extreme heat. As long as its watered down a few times a day,and I must stress that it must be really dense for it to work properly. On a100° degree day it will be around 85° in the foliage. That's how they have survived this long in the wild. It does get hot where there from occasionally. Must I add that here in July and August it gets 100° and my veiled handles it with ease. I have measured the heat on those days and usually in the center of foliage its usually around 85° but when wet it can get a good 70 ish. Its all about the wind, breeze and keeping the enclosure watered down, densness of plants, bushes, trees ( foliage).

Do it! Keeping outdoors during the summer is my absolute favorite. Just make sure they have plenty plant cover or shade to keep them from overheating.
PXL_20210901_151917951.PORTRAIT.jpg

Some of these posters have great information. One part of OC can be much differ than another. Coastal Southern California is great for housing some montane species outdoors year round if proper shade and hydration are supplied. I’ve been keeping outside for nearly 30 years without any major issues. When I used to keep Panthers I would bring them in when temps were below 50 at night. My montane and rainforest species can go below 50 without issue.

Back
Top Bottom