Outside enclosure

Serbianchameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
Im planning on making 2m-2m-2m big enclosure out in my backyard. My plan was to make a cage out of net against mosquitos and wood as bones of that cage. Cage will not have a bottom so i can lift it up and put it on the plants (benjamin ficus, bamboos, vine, pine tree and grass) in the backyard. Is there anything I should know or should add or that’s a good plan? Some tips?

Aluminum window screen works great. Attaching it to the bones will take some creativity. Everyone uses different methods. I use a staple gun, but others use a thin strip of wood and sandwich it down.

If this will be a temporary setup your idea works. If you are planning on leaving the cham in it full time, i would worry about woodland creatures digging their way in, and your cham walking out the hole. This is why a lot of outdoor cham cages are 2ft or higher off the ground.

I made a 10ft pvc enclosure with hardware cloth to protect against raccoons. I also put it on the bottom for reasons that nightanole mentioned. Just finished the door which I will have chained and locked to keep from being pulled open. I have that mosquito net also which will go over most of it to keep the lightning bugs out and allow me to hatch flying insects inside of the enclosure without them getting out.

Just make sure it is safe from any predators, has shady areas, water, etc... otherwise it's a great idea to have your cham outside!

Aluminum window screen works great. Attaching it to the bones will take some creativity. Everyone uses different methods. I use a staple gun, but others use a thin strip of wood and sandwich it down.

If this will be a temporary setup your idea works. If you are planning on leaving the cham in it full time, i would worry about woodland creatures digging their way in, and your cham walking out the hole. This is why a lot of outdoor cham cages are 2ft or higher off the ground.
Yeah I was thinking full time. I could make the bones out of aluminum or iron pipes maybe..

One more question! How big should holes be on the net. I was thinking 1cm. Is that okay?

I went with half inch, but smaller might be better for keeping things in or out. I liked the half inch so wild insects could easily get in to eat, but I live in an area where there's not much to worry about other than raccoons and lightning bugs.

I went with half inch, but smaller might be better for keeping things in or out. I liked the half inch so wild insects could easily get in to eat, but I live in an area where there's not much to worry about other than raccoons and lightning bugs.
There are only cats and birds here of the animals which could harm chameleons.

Back
Top Bottom