Outside eating habits.

rotarhead

Moe's has been outside since the night of the 24th and has not been back inside since the weather has not been an issue. I do not have his basking or UB lights on the cage and they haven't been on it since he has been outside. I was wondering if anybody else has seen eating habit changes with thier chameleon's when they are outside verses inside. When he was inside I could barely get the crickets outside of the dusting bag when he would start chomping down. Now, it seems to take all day for the crickets to disappear. He eats them, it just seems to take a long time. He is still getting the same supplement regime as well. The only thing that has changed is that he is outside and strictly on natural sunlight. Thanks.

I guess I can't be exactly sure but how those new exciting exotic outside bugs are getting inside his screened enclosure is beyond me. I'm sitting by the cage now and he is pretty active, climbing every where. I have seen him eat a two crickets and he seems in no rush as he has passed up crickets while on his stroll on his vine highway.

what are your temps and how much direct UVB does he have access to all day?

It's been mid 60's to low 70's at night and mid to high 80's for the most part during the day. When you say direct UVB you mean direct sunlight? Probably four hours a day or so. My yard is heavily treed. His cage is on my back porch which just like the backyard gets spotted direct sunlight off and on throughout the day, depending on where the sun is, clouds, etc. However, I thought he would be getting UVB regardless of shade or not. I'm guessing I'm wrong?

yes, from what I understand they still can get UVB in the shade, just not as much of course. I meant where they can bask directly in the sun. I live in Florida and usually feed my chameleon outside where it is pretty warm. He eats more so outside than inside where it is cooler but I think it is more a habit for him and he is used to be fed outside. I have never see the warm weather effect his appetite at all but not saying that cannot be the case with your chameleon. As long as he is eating, I wouldn't worry too much about it. He is pooping and all on a regular basis right?

Just a thought perhaps the change of scenery and/ or sight of possible predators is causing him to be more cautious?

Every thing else is pretty normal and he is active. I took him out today to give him a good once over and I saw no physical issues or anything that would raise a red flag. As far as predators go, that's very possible as there are plenty of birds. Should I add his UVB light? As far as direct sunlight goes, it's periodic depending on sun position and cloud cover. He probably gets no more than four hours of direct sun and his cage is never in full sun. Thanks for the replies. I took a few pictures today which I could post later to confirm him physically looking good. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom