Outdoor Panther Enclosures

NAUSEATE

Established Member
Hello, I was a member of this forum back in 2012 under the username Nasi8one. I work with autistic students for the school district out here in Los Angeles. As a class, we began to keep dart frogs in our room. I was going to set up a chameleon enclosure for them, but this pandemic hit and schools have been closed. I built a arched tomato trellis using PVC and had tubing left over. Decided to build a 2'x2'x3' enclosure which led to building a second 2'x2'x4'. These will be the chameleons outdoor enclosures but will be sleeping indoors (going to try free-range "beds"). I have placed payments on a male and female from Frams Chams. Male is offspring to Mondrian (YBBB) x Adelaide. The female is offspring to Gary x Wilma.

Male will be in the 2x2x4, female will be in the 2x2x3. Enclosures have automated misters that go off 4 times a day for 10 minutes at a time. Might bump up to 15 minutes if they need more drinking time. Being outdoor, I want to offer different areas to thermoregulate, so many branches, bendable vines, and bamboo shoots have been added for walkways. All plants have had the soil washed off root balls to get rid of granular and pellet fertilizers. Plants roots have been dusted with mycorrhizael powder and have been repotted using organic soil. Thinking of adding in worms and isopods to the pots to break down waste matter. I am waiting on thermometer/hygrometer with wired probes to monitor different areas but my stationary thermometer shows temps in the high 80s (fahrenheit) in the basking spot, and mid 60s-75 as you go lower in the enclosure. Tops of the enclosures also have pieces of opaque plastic sheeting ( plastic used for carports) to provide shade if needed.

The enclosure doors are made of PVC frames which have 36"x24" acrylic sheets zip tied to provide clear views inside. To hold the doors on, I have drilled larger holes where lashing straps are used to "lock" everything in place.

Please let me know if there is anything else needed. I will be handfeeding, but want to tuck a small feeder cup somewhere hidden. If anyone has experience keeping Panthers outdoors in Los Angeles, please drop knowledge on supplementation. Do I cut calcium with D3 out completely if receiving natural sunlight?

*The orange "Homer" buckets are reflections on the acrylic doors. They are not inside the enclosure.

Hope this video is embedded correctly...

<iframe allowfullscreen width='852' height='479' scrolling='no' frameborder='0' style='border: none;' src='https://www.wevideo.com/view/1953527724' allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMG_20201204_155015142_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201204_154010521.jpg
IMG_20201204_154026582.jpg
IMG_20201204_154042853.jpg
IMG_20201204_154052640.jpg
IMG_20201204_154057968.jpg
IMG_20201204_154144589_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201204_154110852.jpg
    IMG_20201204_154110852.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 123
Wow that’s awesome and beautiful! 🤩 I know Gingero’s YouTube channel “Neptune the Chameleon” has great info on Panthers but I have no experience with them myself. I do wonder if your chameleons will be a bit stressed if they’re able to see each other?

Very nice! I love all of those plants! It will be stressful for them to be able to see each other, so you’ll need to put a barrier of some sort between their enclosures.

Wow that’s awesome and beautiful! 🤩 I know Gingero’s YouTube channel “Neptune the Chameleon” has great info on Panthers but I have no experience with them myself. I do wonder if your chameleons will be a bit stressed if they’re able to see each other?

Very nice! I love all of those plants! It will be stressful for them to be able to see each other, so you’ll need to put a barrier of some sort between their enclosures.

Thank you! I am working on finding PVC board or greenhouse plastic sheeting to place between the cages to avoid stressing them.

Back
Top Bottom