Outdoor Jacksons: Swelling on Tail - Bottom Dweller

Kam808

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 260 Gal Reptarium. *Housed Outdoors*
  • Lighting - No artifical light, all sunlight. The enclsoure recieves about 5-6 hours of direct sunlight each day.
  • Temperature - Outdoor temps vary from 85-90 during the day, 75-85 during the night.
  • Humidity - Humidity varies from 65-80% day thru night. All outdoor.
  • Plants - 1 Mexican Money tree. 1 White Ginger. Spanish Moss.
  • Location - Located outdoors. Not too much foot traffic.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male Jacksons. About 2 years. *OUTDOOR ENCLOSURE*
  • Feeding - Crickets with cricketfood.com gutloatd and fresh veggies. 3-4 Large Crickets per day.
  • Supplements - Only have been dusting 2x per month since its outdoors. RepCal 1x and Herpcal 1x.
  • Watering - 1gal Big Dripper. 2-3x 10min Daily Manual Misting. Outdoor rain varies. He drinks just about every time I mist him. Have seen him soaking up the dripper drips as well.
  • Fecal Description - Droppings appear normal, wet and consistent. Urates are white.
  • History - This was a WC that was housed indoors, lost while basking outdoors, then found again 2 months later. Now is housed outdoors. Have never had any health problems before and didnt have any apparent problems when I re-caught him. Has been in this outdoor enclosure for 2 weeks now.
  • Current Problem - There is a medium size swelling just past the anus which appeared 3 days ago (this is the 4th day). I dont see any bite marks or any obvious indication that something else in nature caused this, like ants or other outdoor insects. Also, he is spending a good amount of time on the bottom of the enclosure. Though he moves up and down the enclosure all day long. His sleeping spots are up high on the branches. Is eating normal, drinking normal, moving around a lot. I did notice some red ants eating a dead cricket and was thinking maybe the swelling occurred from an ant bite..? The swelling has not gone down over the last 3 days...at least that I could notice.
Thank you for any advice with this problem.

Attachments

• 100_3204.jpg
    100_3204.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 231
  • 100_3206.jpg
    100_3206.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 193
  • 100_3209.jpg
    100_3209.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 302
  • 100_3212.jpg
    100_3212.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 259
  • 100_3213.jpg
    100_3213.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 224
Could be getting a prolapse problem, 85 should be max temp for a Jackson I know hes outside you got to keep him cooler provide shade and lots of misting(rain) thats why hes hanging around the bottom.

Yeah there is plenty shade, the umbrella tree is huge and takes up most the enclosure. The native Jacksons here thrive in the same weather though. Is that the only reason he would be spending time at the bottom? I never see him gaping or anything and he is at the bottom in the mornings when its like 78 degrees out.

What is a prolapse problem? I assume the weather does not have anything to do with the swelling?

Well its been awhile now and the bulge has not gone down. Should I be worried? Is there something more I need to do? I have not seen any progression or that it has gotten any worse. How long do these hemipenal bulges remain?

A quick talk with the vet over phone revealed that it may be an abscess? And if I dont treat it with antibiotics or surgery that he will die. I'm not sure if the vet is correct or not but I am worried since it has not changed.

Cham is still eating, drinking, and moving around normally. No change in behavior.

Swelling on Tail..........

Hi there........It's a bit hard to see what you are talking about on the tail from the pictures. But the fact that you say you are seeing something different that appeared in the last few days tells me that you probably should go to the vet to have it checked. It seems you have had this cham for awhile and are seeing something different. Red ants anywhere near a cham can be a problem. He could have gotten a bite that is now infected. I would play it safe and go to the vet. Let us know how things turn out :)

Well its been awhile now and the bulge has not gone down. Should I be worried? Is there something more I need to do? I have not seen any progression or that it has gotten any worse. How long do these hemipenal bulges remain?

A quick talk with the vet over phone revealed that it may be an abscess? And if I dont treat it with antibiotics or surgery that he will die. I'm not sure if the vet is correct or not but I am worried since it has not changed.

Cham is still eating, drinking, and moving around normally. No change in behavior.

i am not sure whether this will be the same case to reptile.
but in case of human..
abscess is an infection.
If you gently feel the swelling area, it tends to be slightly warmer than
any other area in the body..
it might be the same to your jackson..

since you say that the bulge does not shrink.. I suggest just bring him to the
vet that you trust. and let them check him out.

Back
Top Bottom