Outdoor Jackson Socal?

CCT Reptiles

Established Member
Hey so i’ve heard a lot of people keeping jackson’s outside year round in california however i’ve been slightly skeptical on it and would love to hear more peoples opinion. Where i live i experience a few months of days with highs of 60-65 with nights as low as 40,then through the summer months i see high 90s and as low as 75 but mostly days in the 80s. In your opinions would xantholophus be alright outside all year long ?

Hey so i’ve heard a lot of people keeping jackson’s outside year round in california however i’ve been slightly skeptical on it and would love to hear more peoples opinion. Where i live i experience a few months of days with highs of 60-65 with nights as low as 40,then through the summer months i see high 90s and as low as 75 but mostly days in the 80s. In your opinions would xantholophus be alright outside all year long ?
Southern California has many climates and they will not all sustain xantholophus. It works well at the coast and becomes progressively more challenging as you get further away. In recent years we have been seeing many more days over 100F and higher temperatures when it does go above 100F. It is really the high temperatures that kill chameleons.
Outdoor keeping also requires large cages heavily planted cages where they can find microclimates to adjust their conditions.
But, it has been done in some coastal areas.

Southern California has many climates and they will not all sustain xantholophus. It works well at the coast and becomes progressively more challenging as you get further away. In recent years we have been seeing many more days over 100F and higher temperatures when it does go above 100F. It is really the high temperatures that kill chameleons.
Outdoor keeping also requires large cages heavily planted cages where they can find microclimates to adjust their conditions.
But, it has been done in some coastal areas.
good to know i’m about half a mile from the beach but i was worried about the days where it’s foggy and in the 50-60s for awhile is that reasonable for xantholopus?

good to know i’m about half a mile from the beach but i was worried about the days where it’s foggy and in the 50-60s for awhile is that reasonable for xantholopus?
I live about 2 miles from the beach in SoCal and have kept Jackson’s outdoors for many years here. They do fantastic in these conditions. They can easily handle the cool temps and love the fog. My last xantholophus lived to be 9 years old. He was outside the whole time in had him. Just make sure on really hot days to cool them down a bit by misting and shading them appropriately.

I live about 2 miles from the beach in SoCal and have kept Jackson’s outdoors for many years here. They do fantastic in these conditions. They can easily handle the cool temps and love the fog. My last xantholophus lived to be 9 years old. He was outside the whole time in had him. Just make sure on really hot days to cool them down a bit by misting and shading them appropriately.
Hi. I'm in Rancho Santa Fe at about 1200' elevation. It's very mild here and we do get a bit of marine layer. Do you think I could keep a Jackson's outside on a covered loggia?

I keep some of my xantholphus and Jacksonii outdoors in coastal southern California. Heavily planted enclosures, partially shaded protected cage placement and a misting strategy for days of excessive heat are key. We have had nights in the high 40's lately with no repercussions not even a hint of reduced appetite.

There used to be a small wild population of Jackson’s in coastal southern Cali about 25 or 30 years ago when I lived there. I never saw them but I heard about them. I can’t remember what city it was though.

Back
Top Bottom