Outdoor enclosures

Redbulllady

Established Member
Hey everybody! I’ve been lurking some outdoor enclosure builds and have seen some awesome ones on here. Still trying to do some research and wanted some opinions….

I’m thinking of doing galvanized steel inside and aluminum screen outside on a pvc frame. Is this a bad idea lol?

I have PVC frames for all of mine...it was a pain for me to build lol! The two on the left are 3x5 roughly and the one on the right is about 3.5x5.5.
7500657A-5A13-4032-9088-DF62F3CC95FE.jpeg
246623E6-9330-4EDF-B84A-4ADA318C7F09.jpeg
77C734B0-D65F-475D-BC52-E8315CF63F0C.jpeg

Attachments

• 7F76767A-25BB-4670-8EE0-E9860B4F2583.jpeg
    7F76767A-25BB-4670-8EE0-E9860B4F2583.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 85
Hey thanks @jannb 😊 I think that is the exact size I measured that will fit my deck space.

1.I noticed you have one with two doors and one with just one door. Which do you prefer?

2. Is that regular aluminum screen?

3. Hinges? I don’t think I’ve seen those before

Hey thanks @jannb 😊 I think that is the exact size I measured that will fit my deck space.

1.I noticed you have one with two doors and one with just one door. Which do you prefer?

@janjan20 has hers in another screened in area too. So she does not need the additional layer of hardware cloth.

Here is my outdoor enclosure if your thinking about wood. A bit easier when it comes to attaching another layer for the critters that want to get in. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/my-outdoor-enclosure-build.175829/

-The two door was a mistake lol! It was my first build...😬 I prefer the one door.
-It is regular aluminum screen, I chose the gray vs black to absorb less heat.
-It took me a while to find hinges like that and I ended up finding some on amazon. I used stainless steel screws bc I live near the beach (everything rusts). I will look and link them in the thread.

@janjan20 has hers in another screened in area too. So she does not need the additional layer of hardware cloth.

Here is my outdoor enclosure if your thinking about wood. A bit easier when it comes to attaching another layer for the critters that want to get in. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/my-outdoor-enclosure-build.175829/
That’s awesome!

@Beman Agreed! I would love to do wood! It looks so tidy and IMO (unfounded 😂) more secure. I think pvc would suit my needs better purely for the fact of it being lightweight and easily stored in winter months. I have a lot of stairs on my deck 🏃‍♀️. Now knowing that(Janjan20 not JaneB whoopsie) Has hers in a Florida-like room do you think I should go with my plan of hardware mesh outside and screen inside? I think there are some ways to attach securely. You know unless you want to become the female Strand and start an outdoor enclosure side hustle and I will totally buy the one you built for your sweet babies🥰😂

p.s. I got those plant lights in and installed, still working on night time humidity but those window things are soooo much easier. Kinda wish I had just bought a dang hybrid but hindsight. Will send some pics tomorrow

-The two door was a mistake lol! It was my first build...😬 I prefer the one door.
-It is regular aluminum screen, I chose the gray vs black to absorb less heat.
-It took me a while to find hinges like that and I ended up finding some on amazon. I used stainless steel screws bc I live near the beach (everything rusts). I will look and link them in the thread.
Ahh gotcha I’ve made so many mistakes already but thanks to you and all the great people on here I’m learning. Sadly (very bc I love the water) I don’t live near the beach so maybe I won’t need to worry about the screen color? Anyway I’m so glad you posted pics bc that is the size I’m looking at and now I have a frame template😊

I used pvc too for frame, uv resistant zip ties, coated hardware cloth. I put mosquitoe net around everything, but the door to keep most lightning bugs out. Has worked as a permanent summer home for 3 years now. Even have a family of raccoons that live under the shed next to it lol. The cage is something like 8ftx10ft though so much larger than what you're planning, but just to give you an idea.

Attachments

• 20200618_125147.jpg
    20200618_125147.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 101
That’s awesome!

@Beman Agreed! I would love to do wood! It looks so tidy and IMO (unfounded 😂) more secure. I think pvc would suit my needs better purely for the fact of it being lightweight and easily stored in winter months. I have a lot of stairs on my deck 🏃‍♀️. Now knowing that(Janjan20 not JaneB whoopsie) Has hers in a Florida-like room do you think I should go with my plan of hardware mesh outside and screen inside? I think there are some ways to attach securely. You know unless you want to become the female Strand and start an outdoor enclosure side hustle and I will totally buy the one you built for your sweet babies🥰😂

p.s. I got those plant lights in and installed, still working on night time humidity but those window things are soooo much easier. Kinda wish I had just bought a dang hybrid but hindsight. Will send some pics tomorrow
It totally can be done with PVC. Just make sure your adding an extra layer. I used the grey aluminum screen and then chicken wire stuff to lay on top. Mine literally is one layer hooked to the other. I had no issues with hawks, crows, racoons, or skunks trying to get into it. The chicken wire was a bit easier to work with as well.

But if it is just going on a deck and you will be around watching you may not need to do the second layer. This just depends on your level of comfort really and what you have in the area that could get to him.

They have plastic coated hardware cloth. This is what James used in his post above. I could not get any of that locally which is why I went with the chicken wire. But it seems alot better IMO then what I got.

It totally can be done with PVC. Just make sure your adding an extra layer. I used the grey aluminum screen and then chicken wire stuff to lay on top. Mine literally is one layer hooked to the other. I had no issues with hawks, crows, racoons, or skunks trying to get into it. The chicken wire was a bit easier to work with as well.

But if it is just going on a deck and you will be around watching you may not need to do the second layer. This just depends on your level of comfort really and what you have in the area that could get to him.

They have plastic coated hardware cloth. This is what James used in his post above. I could not get any of that locally which is why I went with the chicken wire. But it seems alot better IMO then what I got.

Lol yeah I had to order it, was pretty expensive to ship and all. The regular should be fine I agree!

I used pvc too for frame, uv resistant zip ties, coated hardware cloth. I put mosquitoe net around everything, but the door to keep most lightning bugs out. Has worked as a permanent summer home for 3 years now. Even have a family of raccoons that live under the shed next to it lol. The cage is something like 8ftx10ft though so much larger than what you're planning, but just to give you an idea.
@jamest0o0 wow I love that set up. Thank you for posting! Did you put anything between zip ties and cloth? I’m debating using outdoor tape to keep my aluminum screen from fraying (worried about injuries)

Ughh it’s like 90 degrees out and I’m hating this screen already! So right now this is what I have. It’s upside down right now trying to figure out how to attach screen safely. Did I mention it’s hot? Oh also I’m nuts and this screen is kicking my ass

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 100

Yeah I ended up getting galvanized steel as I also couldn’t get the pvc coated cloth. Probably overkill but we do get hawks and an eagle or two every now and then. This enclosure is mainly for cage cleaning and outside time fun. I plan on being right there unless cleaning but I’d rather be safe than have my boy be a snack. Totally regretting pvc already I see now that wood would be much easier to apply screen and mesh to. 🤬🤣

Yeah I ended up getting galvanized steel as I also couldn’t get the pvc coated cloth. Probably overkill but we do get hawks and an eagle or two every now and then. This enclosure is mainly for cage cleaning and outside time fun. I plan on being right there unless cleaning but I’d rather be safe than have my boy be a snack. Totally regretting pvc already I see now that wood would be much easier to apply screen and mesh to. 🤬🤣
Yeah cham snacks not so bueno lol.

I too wanted to go with PVC but I could not figure out how the heck to attach stuff without 8 million zip ties. But I liked out lightweight PVC is. My wood cage is hefty but a stiff breeze does not touch it. lol

Yeah cham snacks not so bueno lol.

I too wanted to go with PVC but I could not figure out how the heck to attach stuff without 8 million zip ties. But I liked out lightweight PVC is. My wood cage is hefty but a stiff breeze does not touch it. lol
8 million zip ties are dumb and yes that’s what I’m dealing with 😂

Back
Top Bottom