Outdoor enclosure

xxaprilrose

Established Member
I’m thinking of getting/making two outdoor enclosures for my male panther chameleons. I have lots of questions though. I live in NY so this would obviously only be for summer. What are the temps I need to look out for to put them out in the enclosure? I do plan on bringing the out and back inside same day. Will only be a few hours so they can get some fresh air and sun. Is rain ok, and how heavy? Also if I did build one, how should it look/be? The only thing I know to do is add lots of plants for shade and protection. I also have a lot of outdoor cats that come in my yard (they aren’t mine, I have neighbors with them and they drive me nuts) should I be worried about the cats and my chameleons? If anyone has built outdoor enclosures can you show me your setup? Also I will need a solid divider between the enclosures obviously so they don’t see each other. Will this be affected if it’s windy? Thanks so much.

I LOVE outdoor keeping. It makes me enjoy this hobby so much more when I can have my morning coffee while watching my outdoor enclosure during the morning mist session. I highly recommend using the chameleon academy planter box method and putting it on wheels so you move it from sun to shade or shade to sun. Heavily planting the cage is critical and you may even want to consider some sun shade material on top. I keep outdoors from May to September 24/7 as long as the night temp doesn't drop below 55f. I live in the northern Kentucky and it does get very hot in the summer so sometimes I need to bring him back inside if it's over 95f. Panthers are more well suited for this and I would not keep a Jackson's for example in that heat. I have a patio mister hooked up to a faucet timer that goes off for 10 min every 4 hours. The cats could be an issue also I have heard rats will go after chameleons. So you may want to use a chicken wire or hardware cloth. I just use a normal reptibreeze screwed down to the planter box. I highly recommend trying it this summer!
PXL_20210901_151917951.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20210901_151746437.MP.jpg

I’m thinking of getting/making two outdoor enclosures for my male panther chameleons. I have lots of questions though. I live in NY so this would obviously only be for summer. What are the temps I need to look out for to put them out in the enclosure?
Pretty much the same as for indoors, though nighttime temp can go as low as 55F (lower than that could cause issues).
During the night ideal temperatures should remain between 60-70°F, avoiding any temperatures below 55°F due to risk of causing digestive issues and other illnesses.
https://researchpet.com/care-guides/panther-chameleon

I do plan on bringing the out and back inside same day. Will only be a few hours so they can get some fresh air and sun. Is rain ok, and how heavy?
Well, you don't want to leave them out in a gale/hurricane. 🤪
Short of that, I'd say use your best judgment/common sense—if you're concerned about the weather, bring them in. Peace of Mind. ;)

Also if I did build one, how should it look/be? The only thing I know to do is add lots of plants for shade and protection.
That's pretty much up to you. Since you'll be bringing the whole enclosure in & out each day (vs. just the chams), weight will be a factor, so think.... "Enclosure—Light" 😁
I would leave out the center piece plants in favor of "bushier" climbers & hangers, and where possible, make use of existing plants/shrubs to help provide privacy & protection (from view).

I also have a lot of outdoor cats that come in my yard (they aren’t mine, I have neighbors with them and they drive me nuts) should I be worried about the cats and my chameleons?
I would. Can you shoot the cats as varmints threatening your chameleon livestock? 😇
IMO, they'll need some sort of cat-proof protection. Half of my brain says, "hang them up high," while the other half screams, "Are you nutz‽ That doesn't stop squirrels from getting to bird feeders!"

If anyone has built outdoor enclosures can you show me your setup? Also I will need a solid divider between the enclosures obviously so they don’t see each other. Will this be affected if it’s windy? Thanks so much.
Definitely.

Quite a few folks here use butterfly cages—light, airy, inexpensive, and collapsible during the off-season.

https://www.google.com/search?q=but...HacjDYUQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1024&bih=625&dpr=1

and the archives...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/search/1635338/?q=butterfly+cage&o=relevance

Forgot to add that mandavilla plants work wonders for outdoor cages. They take some time to fill in....but by mid summer they will completely fill the cage. That's what I used on the interior of the cage.

Back
Top Bottom