Other staple feeders

cushcameleon

So I did everything this site suggested for keeping crickets. The enclosure I have created works great, now the only problem is my cricket refuses to eat them and he will only eat the tasty silkworms I recently bought him. Is there a feeder I can use to replace the crickets?

By cricket you meant Chameleon? I probably use supers too much in my Panthers diet. He just likes them so much though.

Try to offer your chameleon a different mean each time. That way it is much less likely to settle on a favourite and refuse to eat only one thing. Stop offering the silkworms for a few weeks and only offer other options. He'll get hungry enough eventually and eat what is offered (unless he wins and you give in first). NOTHING should be used as a staple feeder. VARIETY is important, imo. Crickets, two or three types of roach, silkworms, superworms, butterworms, hornworms, moths, flies, isopods, cabbage loppers, stick bugs, etc

I have a rudis chameleon and is mouth is too small to fit roaches and other big feeders, which is why I am stuck with small crickets and small silkworms.

Here is the selection that I have right now
Crickets
Supers
Silk Worms
Horn Worms
Blue Bottle Flies (He goes CRAZY!)
Butter Worms

I have a rudis chameleon and is mouth is too small to fit roaches and other big feeders, which is why I am stuck with small crickets and small silkworms.

I feed small silkworms, small kingworms/superworms, small loppers, small isopods, small stick insects, roach nymphs, small moths, etc to baby chameleons, so I dont know why you could use a variety of appropriately sized feedes too.

I have rudis babies, I believe you have an adult, and variety is realy not a problem. As Sandra posted feeder come in all different sizes not just the adult sizes. Rudis are small but they can realy fit more in their mouths and you are afraid they can, anything under an inch should be fine.
My 5 month old rudis eats silkworms, pheonix worms, crickets, fruitflies, butterworms and waxworms without a problem. Mulberry Farms also carries small superworms and mini mealworms. My babies eat something different everyday.
Give some of the others a try before you rule them out.

Does anyone know where I can buy the more exotic bugs like isopods, roaches and stickbugs?

Check our sponsors- upper right link "view our sponsors"
There are many feeder suppliers there. Mulberry Farms carries duba roaches. (I know... I know... I buy almost everything from them.:p)

OH okay. i read they eat tomato... so WC ones are a no no. so do you breed these?

Nope. Wild caught. I pick the loppers off of my cabbage, kale, and other leafy green stuff. I also clear their guts (using more kale) before they are fed off, just in case they did eat tomatoe (which is unlikely, as they prefer my cabbage!). The moths I feed off directly in the fall, as there's no way theyre eating tomatoe leaves :)

Nope. Wild caught. I pick the loppers off of my cabbage, kale, and other leafy green stuff. I also clear their guts (using more kale) before they are fed off, just in case they did eat tomatoe (which is unlikely, as they prefer my cabbage!). The moths I feed off directly in the fall, as there's no way theyre eating tomatoe leaves :)

awesome thanks!! they sound kinda yummy

Back
Top Bottom