other reptiles in with chameleons??

ALright , well i havn't posted anything in a while. BUT 7 pages.. I mean SERIOUSLY 7 F'n Pages over this.

the consensus is NOT to do it, Obviously enough there is enough members that warn, SCULLED and PLEAD not to put more then one cham per cage.

only time any cham should be housed together is when breeding and that shouldn't last that long as it is.

or

When they are babies very small babies, eventually you have to seperate the babies in order to create a healthy stress free enviroment.

FOR THE SANITY OF the forums...DO NOT house multiple chams in one cage, ESPECIALLY one as sick as your existing chameleon, i guess if you are trying to speed up her death.. then fine do it.. but don't come crying back here.

OC thank u, for understanding. in my original posts i was typing as i was saying it, i never ment to make it sound like i wasnt listening, because i was. and to say that i have to know these things before i own my first chameleon is true yes. but, what if one person says to me it may be ok and the other says not to. who am i to listen to. for i am talking to people i dont know here. i mean, how do i no that all of u aren't saying the wrong thing. (im not saying u are, for all those people who are quick to argue back) but, well all i am tring to say here is that there are lots of people out there who have chameleons, and all have different views.
and please dont think that i wouldnt consider euthenasia as an option as i have to make these descions all the time at my work place about the horses.
i wouldnt do anything to my chameleon that i think would put her at risk. in my opinion, she is happy at the moment, i know the facts of the situation dont back that up but, she is my chameleon at the end of the day, i know her, and everything about her. i know what makes her stressed or happy. like you said OC, every animal is different.

...what if one person says to me it may be ok and the other says not to. who am i to listen to. for i am talking to people i dont know here. i mean, how do i no that all of u aren't saying the wrong thing. (im not saying u are, for all those people who are quick to argue back) but, well all i am tring to say here is that there are lots of people out there who have chameleons, and all have different views.

Quite right, there are sometimes differing viewpoints on some aspects of husbandry. And yes, i can see now you may not trust all the different people on this site (a very well respected site) who have provided you with answers. In that case, you will find that with limited research (read some books, check other REPUTABLE websites, ask a few knowledgable reptile vets) that in fact we are giving you good, accurate advice. One cham per cage is the only recommended way to house them - you are not likely to find anyone who feels differently, especially given how ill your existing chameleon aparently is.

Last edited:
So...I've been keeping up with this thread and something has been nagging at me. Leela, your last post has me finally wanting to voice what it is. You said:

in my opinion, she is happy at the moment, i know the facts of the situation dont back that up but, she is my chameleon at the end of the day, i know her, and everything about her. i know what makes her stressed or happy.

Who are any of us to presume that we know exactly what is going on in a chameleon's body and mind? Yes, we can watch for changes in behavior, coloration, activity, etc., but I don't think anyone can ever say that they know everything about a cham. What may look to you like "happiness" could well be the opposite, even if she appears unstressed. I just wanted to point this out, not to start an argument with you, but because I think it's definitely worth noting.

Happiness

I would guess that the only time a captive Chameleon would be in a state of happiness (if there is such a thing for a chameleon) would be during mating. I think not much else enters their mind at the particular moment.

I think if they had the intelligence to ponder and were given choices they would want to return to their native lands, be set free, and pray that the reptile collectors skipped their part of the neighborhood...lol:D

OC thank u, for understanding. in my original posts i was typing as i was saying it, i never ment to make it sound like i wasnt listening, because i was. and to say that i have to know these things before i own my first chameleon is true yes. but, what if one person says to me it may be ok and the other says not to. who am i to listen to. for i am talking to people i dont know here. i mean, how do i no that all of u aren't saying the wrong thing. (im not saying u are, for all those people who are quick to argue back) but, well all i am tring to say here is that there are lots of people out there who have chameleons, and all have different views.
and please dont think that i wouldnt consider euthenasia as an option as i have to make these descions all the time at my work place about the horses.
i wouldnt do anything to my chameleon that i think would put her at risk. in my opinion, she is happy at the moment, i know the facts of the situation dont back that up but, she is my chameleon at the end of the day, i know her, and everything about her. i know what makes her stressed or happy. like you said OC, every animal is different.
Wow this is a long thread......ok Im not that experienced with chams as we only have 1(plus youve already gotten very good advice from experienced cham people) ... but let me come at you from the horse point of view... Say you had a lame broodmare with a stifle injury who was well enough to still enjoy life but slow getting around to things (grazing, food ect) Would you introduce a healthy, possibly dominant mare with her? No she would be hassled, pushed around the pasture at the others whim and only allowed to graze when the other allowed it...she would most likely only get partial food and eventually start losing weight maybe gaining injuries when she is not fast enough for the other..its just not logical..most would allow her a paddock to herself that allowed her to "greet" other over the fence but not actually be mingled with them.....most of our rescues were stalled and let out at different times until they were well then the behaviors were monitored to see who got let out to together
(btw try a repti sun instead of the glow strip light) nvr heard of the vitamin supplement you use either maybe ask around about what others use and find what else is available to you hope your cham gets better

(btw try a repti sun instead of the glow strip light) nvr heard of the vitamin supplement you use either maybe ask around about what others use and find what else is available to you hope your cham gets better

I agree that you should try the reptisun- you can order them cheaply at lllreptile.com

Also, that "supplement" is really just a probiotic for reptiles- you need to use real supplements such as herptivite and repcal without d3.

I use both the supplements Kenya said lolz :D for all my reps I also have the d3 on though for my geckos lolz people on here recommended it to me ^-^

Leela, first of all let me say I have absolutely no experience with true chams, but there is something here that everyone (as far as I could see) has missed....
Nutrobol is a multi-vitamin supplement with D3 and so should not be used as often as you are using it. I don't think they have this brand in the USA which is most likely why it was missed.
For a pure calcium carbonate supplement, I use calypso which you can either buy in your local reptile shop or online (I can PM you a link to a very good online shop). This is the one you should be using frequently.
Hope this helps :)

oh thts weird because i got recommended that supplement to be used every couple of days by the shop person and my vet?? i was more thinking of a different reptile in there but ok i know not to do tht now. yes u are right i wouldnt put a more dominant horse in with her but i would put some thing else less dominant in with her, as we have this situation at work at the present, we would just give her a bigger bucket feed:)
i spoke to my vet today, and he said to bathe her in warm water to get her legs moving and use critical care supplement or a supplement with lots of D3 init to increase her appetite so she outs on weight but we both agreed that if she didnt pick up then she would have to be pts.:(

If you've already been giving her a supplement several times a week that contains D3 your vet should not be recommending another one with lots of D3. Several times a week is already overdoing it....too much of it is a bad thing and can cause her further problems.

i like to keep my chameleons with cats. just siberian ones, other types of cats will try to eat your chameleons. remember, only siberian.

I agree with emessis and Juli....
Too much D3 can be just as bad as too little calcium. It will cause a sharp increase in the level of calcium in the blood (hypercalcaemia) which can be very dangerous. It can cause bones to become overcalcified resulting in sharp projections/other abnormal bumps on the bone leading to pain/difficulty in moving. Calcium deposits can also be laid down in soft tissues like major blood vessels and the kidneys which obviously not what you want!
If the vet has recommended a supplement that is high in D3 on top of the nutrobol you're using 3-4 times a week AND the UVB you're supplying (which will allow him to synthesise his own D3) then he is obviously not one you want to trust your animals with...

i like to keep my chameleons with cats. just siberian ones, other types of cats will try to eat your chameleons. remember, only siberian.

what did that mean? why do siberian cats not eat them and all others do? I would have to say that a cat eating or not eating a chameleon depends on the cats mood. But she's asking about putting in the same cage :p so i definitely wouldnt put any cat in the same cage as a chameleon

i was just readin thru this topic and was gona say exactly what james said. u want to be getting a calcium supplement that you dust with 5 days a week such as calypso. then you want to be getting a vitamin supplement without D3 such as reptivite w/o D3 which you would dust with at weekends . then you can use your nutrobal once a month . you can get all these products from ebay.

Back
Top Bottom